No announcement yet.

Descaling a vibiemme junior (or senior)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Descaling a vibiemme junior (or senior)

I have seen you tube videos, downloaded instructions from American sites (which dont necessarily match our machines) etc etc and have read that descaling should only be done by technicians, even Chris at Talk Coffee was a little discouraging when I mentioned descaling.

Im sure there are enough VBM junior users out there now in Aus and NZ who have a good reliable method for descaling.

If you do regularly descale your VBM junior could you share the steps that your follow including what descaler you use.

Re: Descaling a vibiemme junior (or senior)

Yeah, when I bought mine, Renzo at Di Bartoli didnt seem to think I will need to descale at home.

As long as youre using appropriately filtered water.

I guess if it goes in for a service between 12-24 months old it can be done then by the servicing technician.

I am not sure why it gets discouraged for the home user.

And if you dont descale - do you run the risk of problems down the track ?

Comment

Originally posted by 20272C2C273636420 link=1269222156/1#1 date=1269222638
      Yeah, when I bought mine, Renzo at Di Bartoli didnt seem to think I will need to descale at home.

As long as youre using appropriately filtered water.

I guess if it goes in for a service between 12-24 months old it can be done then by the servicing technician.

I am not sure why it gets discouraged for the home user.

And if you dont descale - do you run the risk of problems down the track ?

I would also suggest it is not part of any regular HOME maintenance..

1: Good water is a must.. With out it you will have problems...

2: Backflushing uses different chemicals and only does the area that coffee oils would normally gather..

3: Descaling is a lot more involved due to many reasons.. One being WHS for the person performing it and for any one that might be drinking coffee afterwards. Then depending on the typr of solution... It can also have an impact on seals etc that should be changes after a de scale as part of a full blown service.

What.. I hear you say - But what about all the talk about Descaling EM6910s etc etc... Thermo blocks etc are simple... NO big cavities to fill and where scaling solution can splash around and stick to surfaces that may not get so well flushed / rinsed.

Note: WHS is also why they also say not to run the steam arm... descaler running at hotter than required temps...

Comment

And yet one of our NZ coffeesnobs (Skelly) says he descales bimonthly. So there are obviously VBM users out there that descale at home.

Skelly (or any others) if you are "listening" let us know your descaling procedures on a VBM

Comment

Originally posted by 010211110A630 link=1269222156/3#3 date=1269228850
          And yet one of our NZ coffeesnobs (Skelly) says he descales bimonthly. So there are obviously VBM users out there that descale at home.

Skelly (or any others) if you are "listening" let us know your descaling procedures on a VBM
          I think assumptions and terminology may well be confusing people.

I hear many say De Scaling when they mean a Chemical back flush.

1: Backflush to many is just with water - A rinse to me :-X

2: Backflush using chemicals often called a descale by some. - This is a backflush to me

As a true descale would take a few hrs and you would have to fill and drain ya boiler at least 3 times with clean water etc..  Not something I would be doing every every day / month / 3 months etc...  Once a year maybe; as part of a major service if I had dirty water.

Comment

No Im not talking chemical backflushing. I do that weekly

Im talking the true descale where you put descaler in your water tank

Comment

Originally posted by 4F4C5F5F442D0 link=1269222156/3#3 date=1269228850
              And yet one of our NZ coffeesnobs says he descales bimonthly.  
              I wouldnt recommend that...

We learned in year 7: acid + metal =  :-? :-?

Better is to purchase appropriate filtration- not a a brita jug or drinking water filter and minimise scale buildup. Descale when the machine requires it...

Chris

Comment

barri I contemplated descaling my Giotto myself and did lots of reading about it. I read different information from different sites and it did not seem like a simple enough procedure to confidently to it myself.

In the end I simply paid the pros at coffee craft to do it for me and glad I did. A relatively small amount of money to pay for the peace of mind knowing its been done right.

Comment

Originally posted by 5D5C56455B5E44370 link=1269222156/7#7 date=1269232772
                  barri I contemplated descaling my Giotto myself and did lots of reading about it.  I read different information from different sites and it did not seem like a simple enough procedure to confidently to it myself.

In the end I simply paid the pros at coffee craft to do it for me and glad I did.  A relatively small amount of money to pay for the peace of mind knowing its been done right.

OK Ive think Ive got the message!

How often, then, should it be professionally descaled assuming 3 or 4 cups a day using unfiltered water and can I ask how much you paid?

Comment

Originally posted by 6360737368010 link=1269222156/8#8 date=1269237109
                    OK Ive think Ive got the message!

How often, then, should it be professionally descaled assuming 3 or 4 cups a day using unfiltered water and can I ask how much you paid?
                    1: 3 to 4 cups is only part of the issue...

A: It is to do with the element ON time / the heat reached etc  and the level of minerals in the water.

If ya only have 3 cups a day and leave on all day..  That will be more of an issue; than 9 cups and only on for say two hrs.  ( Rough data not hard and fast facts)

2: Why the unfiltered water ?  Many reasonable options that do not cost an arm and a leg and do not have to be fixed; if ya renting etc.

Prevention is better than a last min cure.

Comment

Any non fixed suggestions then?

Comment

Originally posted by 717261617A130 link=1269222156/10#10 date=1269238663
                        Any non fixed suggestions then?

Bombora have a bench top filter system - Code BCTF-SOFT - that has been designed for use with domestic coffee equipment.

"The BCTF-SOFT contains a combination filter that has carbon
                        and cation resin media offering sediment, chemical and softening
                        capacity."

Comment

Hi barri,

Descaling an Hx properly is a fussy and reasonably complex task. There are a few sites that detail it, and despite being very handy myself Im going to leave it to the experts. It does require some internal dismantling and some electrical disconnecting/reconnecting for a complete job.

I really recommend you get a filter+softener, Bombora will be VERY helpful, and then descaling neednt be done until problems arise. The price of a good filter+softener should only be about 10% or so of the machine price.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 4D787572465A767F7F7C7C190 link=1269222156/6#6 date=1269231706
                            Better is to purchase appropriate filtration

Originally posted by 5E6B7C7E4E766B7478757D190 link=1269222156/12#12 date=1269258028
                            I really recommend you get a filter+softener, Bombora will be VERY helpful, and then descaling neednt be done until problems arise.
                            And I couldnt agree more!

I run a 2group Elektra at work with .75mm jets in the group. The tiniest impurity would certainly block these. Ive been using Bomboras filtration system for over a year, and recently checked the jets - they look as new as the day I installed them. 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by 3B382B2B30590 link=1269222156/8#8 date=1269237109
                              The issue of unfiltered water has been dealt with.

For your level of usage Im guessing you wouldnt need to do it any more frequently than once per year.

I got my Giotto descaled, serviced and an o-ring replaced in the hot water arm for $101 in total at a CS sponsor. Not sure if that is cheap/average/expensive but seems pretty reasonable to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X