Bezzera B2006AL single group lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bezzera B2006AL single group lever

I live in Canada, so the market is a bit different here, but I think its probably easier to find information on this machine on Coffee Snobs.

Im interested in purchasing a single group lever machine for home use.  I decided long ago that I dont really want one of the small Pavoni, Elektra, etc. manual machines, because I want to be able to pull a lot of shots back to back.  Ive also considered the Ponte Vecchio Lusso, but I am a bit concerned about small shot volume, as well as various build quality issues Ive read about.  I have a line on a used Lusso right now, but its made me wonder whether I should just go for a proper single group commercial machine like the Bezzera B2006AL.  Im used to an Izzo Alex Duetto, and I dont want something that comes off as a dinky toy machine by comparison.

I have actually been looking for a used commercial lever machine for a couple of months now, scouring Craigslist and Kijiji across the country.  Ive found a few interesting machines, but nothing worth buying and having shipped to me.  I even found a two group Nuova Simonelli machine advertised as a "cappicinno machine" for only $500, with a lovely photo of it sitting outside, covered in snow  

I know there are some other single group commercial levers available, like the Rancilio Classe 6, Astoria AL-1, etc.  One of the nice things about the Bezzera is that it will run on a regular 15 amp 120V circuit here.  Most commercial machines that will run on 120V (like the Rancilio) require special 30A circuits, so theres no benefit to not just running a 240V line.  Its also significantly cheaper than anything else.

Im aware of the requirement to plumb in both the input and drip tray, but Id probably be running it off a flo jet and bucket (high tech solution!).  Id definitely prefer an exposed group, but the Bezzera is covered.  Is there anything else I should know about the it? Is it a good choice for home use?  Something else I should consider?  Hold out for a used commercial lever, just get the Lusso instead?

Re: Bezzera B2006AL single group lever

I have an Expobar Leva Im very happy with.
    You could also go for the twin boiler version.
    Over there I think theyre called the Brewtus.

Maybe not the prettiest of machines but solid and reliable.

Comment

You can go wrong with the reliability and build quality of the Bezzera
      Another machine to look out for is the ELLISSE DE 3GR

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 6B4F464645457F6B4F534D4F200 link=1270507607/2#2 date=1270509764
        You can go wrong with the reliability and build quality of the Bezzera
        Another machine to look out for is the ELLISSE DE 3GR

KK

Nice.. But how available ?

AND

Originally posted by 624F427F6D43624F42200 link=1270507607/0#0 date=1270507607
        Im interested in purchasing a single group lever machine for home use.  I decided long ago that I dont really want one of the small Pavoni, Elektra, etc. manual machines, because I want to be able to pull a lot of shots back to back.
        Yes... As time goes on I have been looking for a while..

Had a Pavoni some time ago but for lots of reasons sold it for a song...

Getting an older classic would be great... But luck is not always in my neck of the woods, but always on the look out. Know where there are a couple - not working / or being used; but the owners just have them under covers...

Thus my fingers are crossed for a "Ponte Vecchio LUSSO 2 (Dual) Group Lever Espresso Machine Classic Club Design"from one of teh sponsors here.... Sorrentina Coffee.

Now if a few things happen... Lotto and or a bit a luck...

I will have my Della Corte Mini in the kitchen and get a Ponte Vecchio LUSSO 2 on the rear deck in a couple of months...

Best of luck in ya searching.

Comment

Originally posted by 436C6567704F636C6365676F676C76020 link=1270507607/3#3 date=1270511457
          Nice.. But how available ?
          Bob is from Canada
          I am pretty sure the North American area has lots of lever type machines of several brands available to them  

KK

Comment

I did check out the Ellisse, but it seems to be basically the same machine as the B2006AL, with a prettier facade and significantly higher price.

Im a little concerned about how enormous the B2006AL is.  49cm x 45cm x 49cm.  Hmm...

Comment

Originally posted by 664B467B6947664B46240 link=1270507607/5#5 date=1270533356
              I did check out the Ellisse, but it seems to be basically the same machine as the B2006AL, with a prettier facade and significantly higher price.

Im a little concerned about how enormous the B2006AL is.  49cm x 45cm x 49cm.  Hmm...
              Thats about the size of my Bezzera BZ40
              I think its just right
              However its not very good if space is an issue

KK

Comment

I will have my Della Corte Mini in the kitchen and get a Ponte Vecchio LUSSO 2 on the rear deck in a couple of months...
                You wont have to walk far for a coffee AM

Comment

Originally posted by 243B31203D333F3720520 link=1270507607/7#7 date=1270591213
                  You wont have to walk far for a coffee AM
                  Walk

The wife will bring it to me :-*

Comment

Very considerate of you AM, obviously making you wifes life easier.

Comment

Hi Bob,

Levers are lovely Best bet as a Canadian would be have a good look around here http://www.home-barista.com/levers/ and ask the question what is currently available locally, there is a thread I will try and find that lists them. Personally I would look for availability from Chris Coffee at the Izzo levers if they are able to get one for you or the San Marco Fiorenzato. My 3 group Izzo rocks and the reports on the San Marco or Izzo single groups are really good too.

Apart from that Craigs list Feral Bay etc are the likely spots to find a second hand one.

good luck in your search

Comment

Ive been checking Craiglist and Kijiji across the country every day for a couple of months now, but not a whole lot of stuff comes up in the States, let alone Canada.  Ive found a few interesting machines like this Nuova Simonelli, but nothing worth having shipped.  Ive been told by a couple of used equipment dealers that there the market over here rejected lever style machines very quickly, so there isnt really much in the way of used equipment making the rounds.  I gather there is a lot more interest in big commercial lever machines in Australia.

I was actually hoping there might be someone on coffeesnobs who owns or has used one of these Bezzera lever machines.  It seems like a pretty good choice compared to a used vintage machine with a questionable history, and no other new single group can touch it for the price.  It also has the huge advantage of running off a regular 120V 15A circuit here, which is rather unusual for a machine of this size.  Im assuming it is solid in operation, good temp stability and control with the thermosiphon system, reliable, etc.  The only problem I have is that its so bloody enormous.  It makes the single group Elektra Sixties look positively small by comparison!

The seller of that Ponte Vecchio Lusso got in touch with me again.  I think I might have a go with it before committing to the cost and space requirements of the Bezzera, but I can almost guarantee Ill want something more.

Its really too bad nobody makes a home use lever machine more in line with some of the higher end pump-driven models.  The only machine I know of between the dinky Pavonis and the monster commercial units is the Lusso, which misses on some key points like full size portafilter and large shot volume, and definitely has questionable build quality.

Comment

Hi Bob,

actually ran across your thread on HB the other day too The Ponte Vecchio has been getting good reports for a couple of years but not many of them in Australia yet. Your right on price most of the commercials are exe and huge. The Izzo 1grp is around 60kg with a 5 litre boiler and circa $5k AUD.

Bit of a shortage of lever users here unfortunately, mainly Elektra, Pavonis or older ex commercial machines and I havnt seen anyone here using a Bezzera lever.

The only other machine that might tick your boxes is the Olympia but they are an overpriced over speced Pavoni :

Comment

Another interesting machine is the La Pavoni Pub 1EL.  Low wattage like the Bezzera, unfortunately also rather huge, but only takes up 15" of counter space (making up for the difference in the depth).  Interstingly, its a pour-over model with a 2.5L reservoir and large drip tray.  I dont think it can be plumbed in, which is actually a little annoying.

Perhaps more suitable for home use than the Bezzera?

mod edit- commercial link removed

Comment

Time for a bigger kitchen for you maybe and a 220v line in

I am considering putting the 2 group in my kitchen when I get it renovated only 3000W of boiler with one leg removed (4500W standard) ;D The poor little Pav might get relegated to camping duties.

The Pub lever looks simple ans serviceable too should a heap lighter than some of the other single group commercials.

Comment

Working...
                              X