DELONGHI PrimaDonna Espresso Coffee Machine Model ESAM6700

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DELONGHI PrimaDonna Espresso Coffee Machine Model ESAM6700

I would like to know everyones opinion on the DELONGHI PrimaDonna Espresso Coffee Machine Model ESAM6700 ? I have the opportunity to purchase a brand new one for $500.. Is it really worth it, or would it be better to put the $500 to a manual ?? I have never owned a coffee machine, so Im wanting to know what would be best..
    Thanks

Re: DELONGHI PrimaDonna Espresso Coffee Machine Model ESAM6700

Hi there.It really depends on what you are looking for. I have a friend with a Delonghi fully auto machine (not sure which model) and the coffee is very average/disappointing/tasteless to me, but she seems to like it.

If you want really good coffee and well textured milk then I suggest you put your money towards a good grinder and a manual machine .

If you are looking for the convenience of a one button does all machine and you are satisfied with the coffee and froth that these Delonghi auto machines make , then I suppose you should go ahead and grab it as the price seems good.

If you have not had coffee from one of these delonhgi machines , I suggest you try it first before making a potentially expensive mistake.
    I cannot recommend these machines, based on my experience, but I am very fussy, so it all depends on waht you are looking for....

Comment

Sorry to say but you will find little love here for fully auto machines, at best the shots are average to poor ar worst undrinkable. They also tend to require more regular and more expensive maintenance to get a decent life from them.

That all said they do offer the unknowing an easy way to get better than instunt coffee with the push of a few buttons so they do suit some people.

You will make much better coffee with a little practice with a Lelit Combi (machine/grinder) than with most autos. Also remember Hardly Normal and Retrovision are appliance shops and NOT espresso machine shops in spite of their marketing

Comment

So far as I can tell, you would be wise to purchase the delonghi at this price. Personally, Id not even switch it on, but thats just me.

I agree wholeheartedly with mishkys comments regarding quality of coffee and convenience. If this type of machine suits, then the price is excellent. Even so, there are options.

Id be tempted to buy it, sell it on flea bay for a moderate profit (I notice they are selling for >US$2000) and put the money towards a machine that can really make coffee - oh and a grinder and some means to roast fresh green beans. Frankly, an Aldi $69 manual machine with good quality fresh beans and an operator that knows their stuff will make better espresso. You could afford a pretty good grinder and a popcorn popper out of the change.

I seem to be getting more snobbish about coffee by the day, not sure if thats a good or bad thing.

Comment

oh Oh....here we go again.

This is the never ending discussion with emotive points thrown around to seem like facts and while I am not either a dealer in nor a service agent for delonghi, am again having to enter the discussion to explain some things from a position of some real experience with autos over several years, and to make sure that only quality information is disseminated into cyberspace from the CoffeeSnobs site.

Firstly an automatic espresso machine cannot and will not make espresso like a manual pump driven espresso machine. This is a given.

But neither will a stovetop espresso machine like a Bialetti but it is still an espresso machine.

If you put the same coffee into each of the three (auto, manual and stovetop) they will each make a different brew.

The world is made up of individuals and an infinite number of different situations and there is a legitimate place for all three types of espresso making process in coffee world.

The fact remains, the price for the model seems to be a "steal" and if the individual is happy with, or has the right type of situation for, an automatic espresso machine, then the answer to the question is obvious.

And of course there is one last part to the rant....automatic espresso machines when set up properly do not make "UN-drinkable" coffee just different. If they are set up badly they may well do so, just like their stable mates in espresso land the manual pump driven machines and stovetops....ie if the set up is not done properly ie good beans & grind / dose / tamp to suit the particular machine, they all make garbage especially in the hands of the wrong operator.

The problem that autos do suffer from, is the general publics perception that because they are "autos", they come straight out of the box and they just work.....because they are automatic. WRONG, see above re set up.

Also of course, in the business we see countless instances of where office people just cant help themselves from fiddling with adjustments to equipment that they know nothing about, & changing the set ups provided on the machines by their professional suppliers........because of course they always know better than the supplier.

Thats not the fault of the machines and is equally seen in offices where they have manual pump driven machines and grinders...

End of rant  

Attilio
          very first CS site sponsor

PS If you decide you want to buy it just make sure it is NOT stolen... and that you really do have a guarantee....because it doesnt matter how cheap it is if there is no guarantee you will be sunk sooner or later when you have to pay for service.

Comment

Originally posted by 794D5A4C57607C5059595A5A3F0 link=1292532353/4#4 date=1292630776
            And of course there is one last part to the rant....automatic espresso machines when set up properly do not make "UN-drinkable" coffee.  If they are set up badly they may well do so, just like their stable mates in espresso land the manual pump driven machines and stovetops....ie if the set up is not done properly ie good beans & grind / dose / tamp to suit the particular machine, they all make garbage especially in the hands of the wrong operator.
            So true.  And same can be said for many products as Fit for purpose changes with every machine and EVERY user.

As to..

Originally posted by 794D5A4C57607C5059595A5A3F0 link=1292532353/4#4 date=1292630776
            PS If you decide you want to buy it just make sure it is stolen...
            I think it was meant to read..

PS. If you decide you want to buy it just make sure it is NOT stolen...  

Comment

thanks M

Comment

"Fresh_Coffee...Coffee & coffee equipment industry professional."

So true!

Comment

Attilio, nice to see some genuine experienced advice.

Comment

Working...
                  X