Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joined the Bezz club with minibar

Morning all,

After years of great coffee with my Quaha Nepolitana I thought it was time to have some fun and get serious and have won (from you know where) a Bezzera Minibar which looks just like Mals (been searching through the board fairly thoroughly).

Yahoo !!!!!!!

Pick it up later today.

I hope it has a rotary pump rather than the vibe - any guess on this one?

Once I get it home I guess it will be basic trouble shooting to get it to correctly function so I can descale / clean-up properly and make sure everything is ready for years of good service ahead.

From the photos below it appears to be in good cosmetic shape  :

Looking forward to sharing the restoration with you all  

Stelz

Re: Joined the Bezz club with minibar

From the pictures
    Looks like she was well looked after

Keep us in the loop when she arrives home

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 7374656C7A000 link=1292700743/0#0 date=1292700743
      I hope it has a rotary pump rather than the vibe - any guess on this one?
      Congratulations Stelz... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

These are a great espresso machine. As far as Ive been able to discover when I delved into restoring mine, they never made one with a Vibe-Pump - Rotary Pumps all the way 8-). One thing I did find necessary to change though and maybe worth checking on yours when ready to fire her up, was the Group Gicleur, as the water pressure at switch-on fairly slammed into the coffee-cake. Ended up fitting a 0.6mm ID one which reduced the "slam" considerably.

By the look of yours (on the outside at least), its not going to need much restoring. Looks to be in great condition. Happy times ahead....

Mal.

Comment

Thanks KK and Mal.

Got it home today and it still looks good. It is different to yours Mal - has a stainless steel tank on top back and a little vibe pump underneath (fluid-o-tech), so not the rotary > But still happy, mostly.

Got home and tipped some water in the top and plugged it in. Pump ran but no water movement . Pulled the discharge tube off and still no water. Pulled the pump off and couldnt blow threw it so figured there was a blockage in there so I started taking the bits off until I had the whole pump in bits. Cleaned it up and still not flow, so unless there is some thoughts on how to fix one of these fluid-o-tech vibe pumps Ill be replacing it.

On the upside, the element was working, so that sounds positive.

The steam wand come off to the side (not the bottom) so Im really keen to hear what you did Mal to fit the alternate. The one on there is quite skinny !

Re the Gicleur - is that the group jet ?

Off to bed and will get around to ordering some parts shortly when I have thought it all through.

Stelz

Comment

Simple things first
          1) Does it have a filter at the bottom of the tank and is it blocked

2) Is water entering the pump or is it just sucking air

3) I know this may sound silly but if someone fiddled with the pump previously and possibly connected the the tubes the wrong way round

The pump should have an arrow for flow direction ?

Its hard to make a judgement if its not in front of me so I just stated the obvious and you may have tried all of the above

Now to the pump
          I am not sure if those older design pumps are being made any-more ? Check for NOS with supplier

However the replacement pump is the modern version you see in current machines and there is a retrofit kit for your machine

If your original fluid-o-tech pump is the older adjustable pressure type, then its  better than the new ones.
          If you can recondition it with new seals ect it would be the best option

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 2324353C2A500 link=1292700743/3#3 date=1292755064
            It is different to yours Mal - has a stainless steel tank on top back and a little vibe pump underneath (fluid-o-tech), so not the rotary   > But still happy, mostly.
            Well, there you go.... I researched for my Bezz all over the place including grabbing some original documents from Bezzera in Italy and none of this indicated a Vibe Pump option. No matter though, doesnt affect the quality of coffee in the cup, which ever pump you have.

Originally posted by 2324353C2A500 link=1292700743/3#3 date=1292755064
            Re the Gicleur - is that the group jet ?
            Yes mate, thats the one but with a Vibe Pump theres no need to muck around with this as the delivery volume, being much less than a rotary pump, builds up pressure gradually so doesnt slam the coffee-cake at all.

Should be a fun project though, have fun......

Mal.

Comment

I did those checks KK and am confident that it is best to replace the pump. Just ordered a replacement (same) from sponsor so should have it tomorrow. Got group seal as well so should have it operating by Christmas and then it will be time for a good clean.

Photos will be posted when operational.

Then it will be on to the improvements - steam wand is on the list.

Mal - do you have photos of the mod you did.

Comment

Originally posted by 2027363F29530 link=1292700743/6#6 date=1292795053
                Mal - do you have photos of the mod you did.
                You mean the Steam Valve "stelz"?

Sorry mate, I didnt take any photos of the completed job and the Bezz isnt easily accessible currently. Its a pretty straight forward job though mate - The Steam Feed Pipe from the Boiler needs to be shortened about 25-30mm and a new Olive sweated on (via Silver Solder), then thats it. Ditto for the Hot Water Dispensing Valve but I didnt worry about modding that one...

Cheers,
                Mal.

Comment

Yes - I was referring to the steam valve / wand assembly.

Currently the outlet of the valve points horizontally to the side so that the wand (or poor excuse for one) pivots front to back. Did you point the valve down so that the ball joint was at the bottom, but not directly above the slot in the panel below ? I would imagine a larger cutout would be required in the panel below to allow the full range of movement for the want.

Gotcha re the olive

Thanks,
                  Stelz

Comment

It wont hurt to ring Barazi & see if there is retrofit kit to convert it to a swivel type

I know that there is a steam wand kit for the BZ99 when I enquired about it the other day

Your model may not differ that much from the BZ99

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 484F5E57413B0 link=1292700743/8#8 date=1292841714
                      I would imagine a larger cutout would be required in the panel below to allow the full range of movement for the want.
                      I actually fabricated a new hidden panel below the valves/wands as the original was missing. As near as possible though, I positioned the valve so that the wand fitting is in the same location as the original.

KKs idea is a good one though.... Barazi might have a "Kit" or assemble one for you to install yourself. Only one way to find out....

Mal.

Comment

Okey dokey - It is working   ;D

Installed replacement pump and off she went pumping away.

I wasnt quite sure what to expect being my first HX, but everything seems to be doing what it should.
                        • Filled up with water
                        • Nothing would pump out the water wand - thought this was strange but then thought it would need boiler pressure to force its way out - needed patience.
                        • Gave it some more time and opened steam wand - got a spit so that was good.
                        • More time, ran some water through the group - all good
                          waited and got good pressure and steam and water wand working well.
                        • Ran a fair amount of water through the group just to flush it a bit
                          Watched the boiler cycle on and off (1.4 bar on, 1.7 bar off) - not sure if this is right or not - guess I need to check water temp at group.
                        • Decided to make a shot and was very pleasantly surprised with the result straight off without changing grind from other machine.

So all in all - VERY HAPPY !!!!!   Everything functions

I guess the next job is proper backflush, clean-up and consider checking the pstat and OPV settings.

Photos of internals below. Youll see the vibe pump under the water reservoir. Note too the cut out for the steam wand coming out of the side of the valve - will get a round to ringing Barazi for that mod after Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by 4146575E48320 link=1292700743/11#11 date=1292929065

So all in all - VERY HAPPY !!!!!Cheesy Everything functions
                          I am happy with you  

Originally posted by 4146575E48320 link=1292700743/11#11 date=1292929065
                          Ran a fair amount of water through the group just to flush it a bit
                          Watched the boiler cycle on and off (1.4 bar on, 1.7 bar off) - not sure if this is right or not - guess I need to check water temp at group.
                          A little homework that takes an easy 20 minutes

Adjust the boiler pressure to a max 1.2 at high off

However for this machine I would be tempted to take it down even further to 1.00 bar at high off just to tame the steam

Happy coffee Christmas

KK

Comment

Excellent stuff "stelz".... 8-)

She really looks in great condition under the bonnet, very well looked after. I see what you mean by the wand cut-out to the side, makes sense now. The wand on mine just drops straight down under the valve.

Have fun

Mal.

Comment

Christmas holidays means...... time to play with new toy !!!

I wound the pstat down to 1.1 bar high as suggested by KK and it seems that with the lowered setting there is no overheated steam (hissing or sizzling overheated steam) when I do a flush of the HX. I guess this is OK. The boiler still has plenty of steam.

The shots are coming out lovely and thick, it looks and tastes great so I guess it is good and I should leave the settings there.

Wand is a bit of a pain as there really isnt a tip. I might look at a 2 hole one and just putting a thread on the end of the wand. Time will tell.

Stelz

So, a successful purchase and install. I will just have to keep learning the ropes.

Comment

Working...
                              X