Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rocket Giotto Premium Plus as a source of hot water. ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocket Giotto Premium Plus as a source of hot water. ?

After the death of my previous "fully automatic" Saeco machine (it survived 7 years) I was able to upgrade to my Rocket.  I love the coffee it makes and so does my wife.  She prefers to drink tea after mid morning claiming the coffee keeps her awake.

She prefers the hot water from the coffee machine rather than boiling the kettle.  It apparently tastes better and is certainly more convenient.  She probably drinks 3 or 4 big mugs of tea this way each day.  She claims Im addicted to caffeine but I have explained that Im equally dependant on oxygen and no-one calls that an addiction....

My question is....Is there any "down side" to using my coffee machine for hot water.  I find that if I make her a cup of tea the boiler has recovered pressure by the time Ive ground my beans, tamped and installed the portafilter.  Am I going to wear out my pump or fill the boiler with lime scale etc etc? Your sage advice is appreciated.

Re: Rocket Giotto Premium Plus as a source of hot water. ?

Ive tried to get my wife to do this instead of boiling the kettle (which she tends to overfill for her immediate needs).

My reasoning being that it helps turn over water in the boiler.
    The downside for me is more frequent filling of the reservoir.

Comment

Hi Fred Nerk ,
                          the darkside to using the water from the hot water wand in small machines is ease with which you can expose the element in the boiler - some of the prosumer machines can quickly dump half a litre of water out of the boiler in seconds , and the poor little Ulka pump really struggles to refill the boiler quickly ; if there is some scale in the system then it takes even longer to cover the element , resulting in a fairly stressful time for the element. If the boiler water is changed often , theres more scale buildup in the boiler and the problem may result in and expensive "pop" and a new element to be fitted , and other problems like scale on the level probe causing erratic behavior of the autofill controller.
       Electric jugs are good , and easier to service than the Giotto  

pip.

Comment

It is important to move some water through the boiler of any HX machine and I think it should be done daily. Warm a cup, make a cup of tea if that method suits or just dump some...

I recently had a Giotto in for service and the steam wand had never been used. When I emptied the boiler I got a handful of carbon (brita jug ) and a jug of water the colour of lime cordial. It was absolutely gross. Keep in mind we use the boiler water as steam to texture milk!

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 7D647D0D0 link=1293008371/2#2 date=1293186326
          If the boiler water is changed often , theres more scale buildup in the boiler
          I disagree with this assumption pip....

Quicker Scale Build-up rates occurs when the Boiler Water is rarely topped up/turned-over. This occurs because the Steam used to texture milk leaves behind dissolved minerals to further concentrate in solution within the remaining water. Regularly turning over the water by draining some of it for heating cups, etc will maintain a lower dissolved minerals equilibrium and therefore limit the rapidity with which Scale can form.

Naturally, using a decent water filter system such as one of those from Bombora, reduces the rate of Scale Build-up even further and should be part of any serious espresso equipment kit.

Mal.

Comment

I am getting the idea that a couple of cups of tea would be good for the machine/boiler but not to "over do it". I should have stated that I live in a rural area and we are dependent of rain water which I filter for the coffee machine (and drinking). Dissolved calcium is lower than it is for mains water supplied people.

Comment

Originally posted by 796E6A7C697674731D0 link=1293008371/5#5 date=1293225735
              I live in a rural area and we are dependent of rain water which I filter for the coffee machine (and drinking).  Dissolved calcium is lower than it is for mains water supplied people.
              Hi Fred....

Strange as it may seem, you might have problems of another sort related to dissolved minerals in your water supply. Too low a TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) number can sometimes work against the normal operation of a HX espresso machine. The conductivity of the Boiler Water can be so low as to cause erratic operation of the Automatic Boiler Fill System, in that the submerged (conductivity) probe(s) are unable to reliably detect the presence or otherwise of the water level.

If your machines Auto Fill system seems to be working fine, then the TDS of your water supply is sufficient. Its been a long time since we used rainwater as our only water supply and I cant remember what the TDS number was for our system but it might be handy to know. Easy to sort out though, just get some TDS Test Strips from Bombora or one of our other Site Sponsors and youll know exactly whats going on.

A good read about all of this sort of thing can be found here... http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1245022813

All the best mate...

Mal.

Comment

I prefer to make tea with fresh unboiled water.

If the Diadema is on (and it usually is) then steaming a cup of water for tea takes only seconds.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 596C7B7949716C737F727A1E0 link=1293008371/7#7 date=1293417632
                  I prefer to make tea with fresh unboiled water.
                  I prefer it to have been boiled. ;D ;D

Comment

Working...
                  X