Help with group head temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with group head temp

HI, have a Bezerra BZ22 and a Rocky Rancilio grinder, pretty decent equipment. Have been grinding and pulling my own coffees for some years now but not 100% sure on what I should be doing re proper heating. We normally let the machine heat up for around 15-20mins, by which time every things pretty hot. From what I can gather with a HX machine. I fill the basket, run a quick 2 or 3 second flush to cool down the group head a little then attach the handle / basket and pull my coffee. It just occurred to me this morning.....should I be cooling down the handle / basket also before putting the coffee in? Does it sound like I am doing everything right?

Re: Help with group head temp

I actually thought the whole point of doing that quick 2 or 3 second flush was to heat up the group head, as opposed to cooling it down.

Also, from what Ive gathered, there is no need to cool down the basket and handle. What I usually do is keep the handle in the group head until its ready to be used.

The idea is to have a constant temp for the brewing process. Having a hot group head and group handle will minimise any variations in water temperature as it leaves the machine into your cup.

PS - make sure you warm your cups too!

Comment

not sure whether you mean by cooling it down...do you mean you heat up the group by flushing the water through it?

anyway I run 2 blends , one for espresso blend (milk based drinks) and the other for strictly ristretto (2 origins in it)

Now let me tell you something, both blends needs different temperature, the espresso blend requires lower temperatures simply because it has small percenrage of indian parchment robusta while the 100% Arabica the one for ristretto LOVES THE HEAT, GROUP HEAD and hOT HANDLES and it is quite obvious from the colour of the extracted coffee and of course a big difference in the taste.

Going back to your point, All I can say to you is the following:

1) have a look at the colour of the extracted coffee, do you think that all the sugar contents inside the beans are getting cooked, have you got the right colouring?

2)last but not least Is the coffee tasting ok?

my advise to you is grab a paper and right down the result with/without flushing the group and also do a blind testing (get someone to do it for you) and you would be very surprised!!!

good luck

Comment

Originally posted by 757663656F676A7667687275060 link=1293746201/1#1 date=1293746896
        I actually thought the whole point of doing that quick 2 or 3 second flush was to heat up the group head, as opposed to cooling it down.
        Originally posted by 767463757573746375726772060 link=1293746201/2#2 date=1293747881
        not sure whether you mean by cooling it down...do you mean you heat up the group by flushing the water through it?  
        Some group heads can get too hot when sitting idle as they have been designed to be temperature stable when making multiple coffees.
        Therefore, the flush is to cool down the group head if its been sitting idle for some time.

Conversely though, where your confusion may come from, some people "cheat" the warmup process on some machines by flushing to try and raise the temperature more quickly rather than wait.

Comment

Some group heads can get too hot when sitting idle as they have been designed to be temperature stable when making multiple coffees.
          Therefore, the flush is to cool down the group head if its been sitting idle for some time.

Well if is sizzling noise from the group i would understand...but beieve it or not the extra heat might be suitable for some blends.  

Comment

i spose you could also think about this in terms of understanding the HX system.

the system is basically designed to have fresh water be drawn through a pipe that in its travel becomes heated to (hopefully) a brew temperature that suits most/some/few coffees.

if water is sitting in that pipe for some (obviously variable depending on many factors) amount of time then it is possible that the water sitting there is TOO HOT for brewing, thus the "cooling flush" is to get rid of that older hotter water so fresh water can be used for your shot, in the hope of a nice temp for that shot.

search here or maybe homebarista for more about this, there are different techniques people use depending on how much you wish to invest in time and energy...

hope that helps

aaron

Comment

Originally posted by 696B7C6A6A6C6B7C6A6D786D190 link=1293746201/4#4 date=1293750055
              Well if is sizzling noise from the group i would understand...but beieve it or not the extra heat might be suitable for some blends.
              True but usually the difference in temp might be 93 degrees for one blend and say 97 for another.

Comment

Originally posted by 1824392228293E2B23284C0 link=1293746201/6#6 date=1293768834
                Originally posted by 696B7C6A6A6C6B7C6A6D786D190 link=1293746201/4#4 date=1293750055
                True but usually the difference in temp might be 93 degrees for one blend and say 97 for another.
                I could not agree more...as low as 89 degrees for robusta from Vietnam (the worst you can get)

Comment

Id run my Vietnamese robusta through a vietnamese drip filter.
                  You can make sure the temperature is right before you pour the water in.

Comment

Originally posted by 4A766B707A7B6C79717A1E0 link=1293746202/8#8 date=1293789853
                    Id run my Vietnamese robusta through a vietnamese drip filter.
                    You can make sure the temperature is right before you pour the water in.

well what about if you want have vietnamese espresso brewed drink?

sorry we are drifting of subject rnt we? sorry moderators

Comment

If, when you draw water thru the group head, the water is sizzling to steam, then you need to keep flushing water through until that stops happening, and then some. This called a cooling flush and only needs to be done if the machine has been sitting idle or has been heating up for some time.

Comment

Working...
                      X