No announcement yet.

How to insulate boiler on Expobar leva?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to insulate boiler on Expobar leva?

Ive just found out the boiler of my HX leva (built in Oct 2010) is not insulated  

I think that to reduce wasted energy, improve thermal stability, and reduce warm up time, I should insulate it with two layers of glass wool insulation with aluminium foil.

I remember I saw pictures showing the boiler was insulated so why did this change ? Can there be any other reasons but cost saving ?

Re: How to insulate boiler on Expobar leva?

Originally posted by 000D04610 link=1294050664/0#0 date=1294050664
    Ive just found out the boiler of my HX leva (built in Oct 2010) is not insulated  

I think that to reduce wasted energy, improve thermal stability, and reduce warm up time, I should insulate it with two layers of glass wool insulation with aluminium foil.

I remember I saw pictures showing the boiler was insulated so why did this change ? Can there be any other reasons but cost saving ?
    Gday Ale....

What you use as insulation probably comes down to what is available where you are situated. Nearly all the worlds Closed Cell Silicone Sponge Rubber Sheet is made in China so perhaps see if you can find a seller of this while youre there. Its the best stuff to use, by far....

If you end up going with Fibreglass Batts, please make sure there is NO Aluminium Foil attached since Al is conductive and a risk to use where live electrical connections may be present. Why yours isnt insulated may be more to do with where you bought the machine from. Different importers/countries use different specifications for the machines they buy in. Yours may have been specified without insulation.

All the best mate
    Mal.

Comment

thanks Mal

Ill look for the silicone sponge you mentioned, if there is no way to get it, Ill then use some fiberglass batts with no aluminium

Bye!

Comment

Originally posted by 575A53360 link=1294050664/0#0 date=1294050664
        How old is your unit?

Comment

manufactured in Oct 2010

Comment

Mines older (with insulation) but as Mal said, yours may have been specified differently.

Comment

You can also use Insul Brite just make two to three layers and rape it around the boiler then quick ties to scourer..

Insul Brite can be purchased from Spot Lite..

Cheers Gra..

Comment

Barazi will sell you a strip of the ceramic insulation that we use on the Koffee Kosmo roasters
                Rated to 1200 deg C

KK

Comment

The OP is sited in China.....

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 7E53575B563A0 link=1294050664/8#8 date=1294133383
                    The OP is sited in China.....

Mal.
                    Thats OK
                    They Barazi will post world wide

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 67434A4A49497367435F41432C0 link=1294050664/9#9 date=1294139224
                      Thats OK
                      They Barazi will post world wide  

KK
                      Was thinking more in practicality terms Paul....

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 517C787479150 link=1294050664/10#10 date=1294141702
                        Was thinking more in practicality terms Paul.... Wink

Mal.
                        I had a feeling thats what you were aiming at
                        I was thinking, selling coal to Newcastle

The tide should run the opposite way sometimes

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 5D687B1A0 link=1294050664/6#6 date=1294119216
                          You can also use Insul Brite just make two to three layers and rape it around the boiler then quick ties to scourer..
                          Gotta say.....

Im very impressed with the Insul-Brite. I used this on a recent bout of annual service work and small mods to my Extra. I actually used four layers though as this was the easiest way to use the standard dimensions of the Insul-Brite. Doubled over twice the standard width of the sheet was exactly the height of the Extras Boiler.

The internal case temperature of the Extra now sits at about 25C above ambient near the top. Excellent result in my opinion. I used a small piece of 13mm Closed Cell Silicone Rubber Sheet to insulate the top with cut-outs for the various fittings and pipes.

Well worth doing.... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Who in Melbourne might sell this closed cell silicone foam, if non in Melbourne, mail order intertstate? Ive also wondered why boliers on some machines arent insulted, makes sense to do it, also stops heat from the boiler making wiring insulation go hard and brittle over time.

Comment

Originally posted by 7A7D6C6C7D6A796C7077757D180 link=1294050664/13#13 date=1294501433
                              Who in Melbourne might sell this closed cell silicone foam, if non in Melbourne, mail order intertstate? Ive also wondered why boliers on some machines arent insulted, makes sense to do it, also stops heat from the boiler making wiring insulation go hard and brittle over time.
                              Yep, and one of the main reasons to do this.... 8-)

Difficult to buy in Oz unfortunately and when you can access some, youll probably have to sell a kidney to buy a small piece of it.

I was very lucky in that a friend overseas was able to acquire some for me from a European manufacturer. Heaps of it is made in China at very little cost to buy but youve got to buy it by the container load when it is exported. Probably very different if you knew someone living over there who may be able to grab some "samples" for you.

Best stuff to use in Oz and obtainable at a reasonable cost is High Temperature Armaflex. Two or three CSers have bulk bought it over the years and later distributed it to other CSers at cost so maybe thats an option for you to consider?

As mentioned above though, Insul-Bright is a very effective Boiler Insulation, is cheap to buy and very easy to install. So, in the end, there are quite a few avenues to investigate....

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X