Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emptying the boiler on a Grimac La Uno

Hello all.

Just bought a Grimac La Uno from someone in Melbourne, and I am shipping it with Pack n Go. Can anyone recommend a good way to empty the boiler and pipes?

My Pavoni has a draining valve under the drip tray, but I dont know if this model has one. If not, i was thinking along the lines of switching on, and hitting the brew valve for 15 seconds or so, switching of for a few minutes, and repeating, but I dont want to put any undue stress on the pump or element.

Thanks,
    Nico

Re: Emptying the boiler on a Grimac La Uno

Doh! Just realised brewing will only clear the HX. Still need a way to cleat the main boiler.

Still googling for pats diagram or resto thread.

PS. The current owner is not trusted with tools.

Comment

should be able to bring it to temp and full boiler pressure, turn it off and open the hot water tap. It should drain the boiler fully, there wont be bugger all water in the Hx I would have thought so I wouldnt worry about that.

Someone more knowledgeable might say different though.

Comment

Hello Nico,

dont need to empty the boiler for transport.

All the seller needs to do if you want, is to draw hot water from the hot water tap until the auto fill kicks in. Soon as it kicks in, switch off the machine. It wont draw much out and certainly not even 1/2 a litre.  But remember its only a small boiler.

And when you switch it on again, it will refill to its level.

When it lands my advice is to unpack the machine, give it a quick visual and turn it on and check all functions.

If all is ok, use as normal.

If you have an earth leakage circuit in your house, it will trip out if there is an electrical problem. If you dont, for a relatively minor cost you could buy one of those portable earth leakage power boards and consider it part of the purchase price of the machine. Plug it in through that. If it doesnt trip out, ie there is no obvious electrical inconvenience manifested,  start enjoying your new toy.

If at that point you find something minor needs doing eg backflushing the group or whatever, you can do "running maintenance" as and when required.

About the only thing you might need, would be a handful of V seals for future use in that steam valve.

Otherwise enjoy  

Kind regardz,
        Attilio.

Comment

Thanks all.

I thought I read somewhere here that it is recommended to drain all water before shipping. I did ask PacknSend to make sure they keep it upright, fwiw.

Comment

I have the predecessor to this, so not sure whether the internals are still the same. I have a couple of pictures attached. (having some problems will try and post them later.)

I think it is going to be difficult to drain the boiler without actually removing it. It is very tight in there, when I pulled mine apart for a descale and rewire (the pictures are before, and the owner wondered why it was tripping out his power...) I had to remove the boiler and all the pipes as practically one unit. There was no drainage plug.

So I would do what FC recommends.

Clint

Comment

try again

Comment

doesnt seem to like more than one at a time

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

and finally what 5 years of use without descaling does to your mushroom

Comment

Hi.

Thanks for the pics. I will be cracking it open soon

Comment

Send me a pm if you have any questions. I might be able to help. But it was a pretty easy machine to work on.

Clint

Comment

Working...
                            X