Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help in an upgrade From my Silvia V3 to something in the $2000-$2700 range??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help in an upgrade From my Silvia V3 to something in the $2000-$2700 range??

Gday all, Im new to Coffee Snobs and would appreciate some advice with an upgrade please. I currently own a Silvia V3/Rocky Grinder setup and after getting used to its quirks and loving it, Im suffering from a bit of espresso envy when looking at the higher end of the espresso machine market. I brew between six and eight shots a day, and when friends come around that probably doubles. I want this upgrade to be one that will keep me happy for at least a period of ten years. I dont want to plumb the machine in at this stage, but maybe the option to do so would be a good idea. Ive also seen a machine(The Exobar Brutus III) with a double boiler system which looks like the way to go? Any suggestions anyone could give would be great!

Re: Need help in an upgrade From my Silvia V3 to something in the $2000-$2700 range??

Hi natecap and welcome.

The Brutus is known as the Minore III in Australia. AFAIK it comes as either a tank version or plumb-in, not an all-in-one. The plumbed version would be a bit above your budget. Some of the Bezzera & Wega machines also come as optional plumbed versions, there may be others I can’t think of right now. Generally speaking the tank versions have vibration pumps and the plumbed versions have rotary pumps, which are more expensive (and more quiet).

The machines that would best suit you would probably be the Alex Duetto II or the Rocket Giotto Evoluzione. These two machines have built-in tanks or can be plumbed-in. You can change from one to the other with the flick of a switch. These machines are at the top end of the prosumer market and youre looking around the $4K mark.

Best thing to do would be to contact one of the site sponsors. If you’re in Melbourne I’d highly recommend Chris from Talk Coffee in Northcote.

Comment

Re: Need help in an upgrade From my Silvia V3 to something in the $2000-$2700 range??

I second the recommendation to visit one of the sponsors, I bought my gear from Chris at Talk Coffee (Giotto PP and K3 WBC grinder).

They are out of your budget unless Chris has ex-demo models available. If he has jump at it. I would consider an ex-demo machine from one of the sponsors equal if not better than a new machine.

Your Rocky grinder wont really do justice to your new espresso machine so be aware you might want to upgrade both.

Check the Sponsor pages over on the left for specials, there might still be sale stock from xmas hanging around.

Comment

Originally posted by 6167707B61667E7C150 link=1295404105/2#2 date=1295407515
        Your Rocky grinder wont really do justice to your new espresso machine
        Why not mate? Id keep the Rocky and talk to a sponsor about a fantastic upgrade for the machine.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

Welcome to CS natecap.

Seriously and going on what you have written, we cant see why one of our excellent Diadema Junior Plus machines or perhaps even a Unico Splendor cant foot the bill admirably.

These are great "entry level" semi commecial heat exchanger machines. By "entry level" I mean the smaller boiler size end compared to others with slightly larger boilers and bigger price tags.

Chris at Talk Coffee has them on demo and as you are both in Melbourne well......can we feel a visit coming on?

Regardz,
          Attilio
          very first CS Site Sponsor.

Comment

Originally posted by 7262756464222320282723100 link=1295404105/3#3 date=1295410397
            Originally posted by 6167707B61667E7C150 link=1295404105/2#2 date=1295407515
            Your Rocky grinder wont really do justice to your new espresso machine  
            Why not mate? Id keep the Rocky and talk to a sponsor about a fantastic upgrade for the machine.
            The Rocky is a competent grinder but its not a great one. You wouldnt need to rush to upgrade it but I reckon you would see an improvement in the cup if you did. JMHO

Comment

Id also keep the Rocky & spend the $$$ on a better machine.

By specifying that the machine must be able to be plumbed in, you are eliminating a lot of good machines, so you need to think how important that is. FWIW, Im pulling 6 shots a day with my GPP, and top up the water tank every second day.

Comment

Thanks again everyone for your advice. Toad, Im torn between the Giotto Premium Plus and the Diadema Junior-plus semi-auto. Having the machine plumbed in is a luxury I really dont see myself needing, ever! So it just comes down to the $$ I guess. Does a $2000 machine perform as good as a $2800 machine? Is there a noticeable difference between these two?

Comment

Originally posted by 434C59484E4C5D2D0 link=1295404105/7#7 date=1295623651
                  Thanks again everyone for your advice. Toad, Im torn between the Giotto Premium Plus and the Diadema Junior-plus semi-auto. Having the machine plumbed in is a luxury I really dont see myself needing, ever! So it just comes down to the $$ I guess. Does a $2000 machine perform as good as a $2800 machine? Is there a noticeable difference between these two?
                  Hi Nate,

Best bet is to make a time to come in and have a look. Both machines are on our demo bench, so I can point out the differences and you can sample great coffee from each. Both machines do the job well and the right machine will be the one which is right for you.

Chris

Comment

No worries Chris, funny because Ive been thinking of dropping by for a couple of weeks. I work in Northcote and have been trying to picture where "Talk Coffee" is situated.

Comment

Originally posted by 79766372747667170 link=1295404105/9#9 date=1295651366
                      No worries Chris, funny because Ive been thinking of dropping by for a couple of weeks. I work in Northcote and have been trying to picture where "Talk Coffee" is situated.  

When you get there, youll think why you never knew in the first place. I know I did ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 6A4156565B5D2E0 link=1295404105/10#10 date=1295681462
                        When you get there, youll think why you never knew in the first place. I know I did   ;D
                        We operate by stealth 8-)

Comment

Working...
                        X