Carimali uno Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carimali uno Problems

Just over a year ago i purchased a second hand carimali uno off a friend of mine, it wasnt plumbed in till a couple of days ago, as i eagerly awaited for it to heat up and draw my first shot an enormous BANG came roaring out from its inerds... the kitchen went dark and i almost filled my undies. with my expert knowledge of lego technics i figured i should have a look at the insides and found there was a hole where one of the power leads goes onto the heating element and a smaller hole in the pipe coming into the pressurestat. can i fix this myself without having to take it to the mechanics?

Re: Carimali uno Problems

Originally posted by 606579626E7F646F6E63640A0 link=1296462027/0#0 date=1296462027
    Just over a year ago i purchased a second hand carimali uno off a friend of mine, it wasnt plumbed in till a couple of days ago, as i eagerly awaited for it to heat up and draw my first shot an enormous BANG came roaring out from its inerds... the kitchen went dark and i almost filled my undies. with my expert knowledge of lego technics i figured i should have a look at the insides and found there was a hole where one of the power leads goes onto the heating element and a smaller hole in the pipe coming into the pressurestat. can i fix this myself without having to take it to the mechanics?
    What is your location ?

1: After sitting for that long I would never have turned it on without doing Electrical Insulation testing.

2: Would assume that the element has broken down causing a dead SHORT.

Without any further info to go in a new ELEMENT will be the first purchase from here

A  de-scale of the boiler  and an electrical inspection to see what else might be blown / broken as some of the wiring looks suss. Not sure where the second hole is you mentioned but if a new one then ever more $$$

So unless you An electrician and Experienced in this level of repairs the answer is NO.  

As to the cost of repairs etc..

Ya might be lucky but parts and Labour may cost more than a working machine....

It could also be that the small hole was spraying water (thus causing a short) as the colour and condition of teh boiler is very interesting at that end....

Comment

that pressure valve arae looks like it might have dripped water on the element as like AM said there is some funny colour around it...

bit of luck thats all it took out... looks in good nick apart from that issue.

Comment

Originally posted by 69464F4D5A654946494F4D454D465C280 link=1296462027/1#1 date=1296463149
        1: After sitting for that long I would never have turned it on without doing Electrical Insulation testing.
        yeah i wondered that, i foolishly reassured myself it would be ok because of the service it had before being put in storage....
        I am in Dunedin , New Zealand.
        Could water from the hole in the pressurestat pipe created the short?

i have highlighted the other hole

Comment

fair chance i reckon....

Comment

Originally posted by 5D515855555C300 link=1296462027/4#4 date=1296515591
            fair chance i reckon....
            YEP... Agree. And has been there for a while.....

Shame ya not in Brisbane :-)

You will need new tubing to teh pressure stat OR New Preasure stat and tube AND a NEW element at the very least... Electrical check and other tests to validate B4 turning back on....

Before you turn the lights out... Toss it in the chilli bin and Maheel and I will have a look when you get to Brisbane.... ;D

Not sure who ya service people are but up here in Brisbane that want $500 just to look at these. I think it is about the issue of Labour / parts Vs Value on teh market...

Best of luck and let us know how you go.

AM

Comment

Wow, that is unlucky! However the damage you have caused could possibly have been avoided.

Seriously folks, new machine in unknown condition. Do not take any risks.

Get her open on a nice clear bench. Look for ANY OBVIOUS SIGNS OF DAMAGE. Remove the pump if rotary and make sure this is has NOT seized, else getting this spinning (or replaced if necessary) is your first job.

Then plumb in if required for the autofill (which is actually the case for the Uno - though the brew switch can also be used to fill via pumped pressure). Your first check will be for any leaks after connecting to mains pressure.

Next you will want to power her up but first there are a few things to know. There is a separate switch which enables power to the element on the Uno, DO NOT HAVE THIS SWITCHED ON FIRST RUN - the primary reason for this is your want to check your solenoids and the logic controller. You do not want to run an element in an empty boiler.

The next important thing is Only connect power via an RCD This could save your life, or your fuses at least

When you do come to do an element/pressure test be VERY vigilant of any weird noises, leaks or smells. If in doubt, pull the plug. Re-evaluate. Take action to remedy any faults or resume test.

Good luck with your machine, I suggest you disconnect your element and measure the resistance across it with a multimeter.

Comment

I need a new boiler element for my uno. Any suggestions? (A_M's link above doesn't work)

Comment

oh, and while I'm shopping...the plastic slatting the cups etc sit on.

Comment

Coffee Parts for the element. It seems they are no longer sponsors, so I cannot post the link. Type into search engine.

I don't know if they have the cup warmer trays for it though. Try phoning them.

Comment

Working...
                    X