Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bezzera BZ99 Help!

Hi,

I have a pre 2000 model of the Bezzera BZ99 and a rancillio rocky grinder. I can make a pretty descent coffee from this machine but one thing has always bothered me.

This is that no matter how fine I get the grind of the coffee I’ll get one of the 2 following scenarios:

1. Machine will spit coffee and water everywhere because it is over dosed or the grind is too fine
    2. More often, the coffee will come out too fast. Around 15 seconds for 60ml from pressing the button.

I just can’t seem to get the setting right. I have made sure that my dosing is consistently at 14-15g and obviously I can get the grind fine enough because it is choking the machine. I just can’t seem to get a perfect pour.

Any suggestions?

Re: Bezzera BZ99 Help!

Originally posted by 0D090E160503600 link=1296605324/0#0 date=1296605324
    Hi,

I have a pre 2000 model of the Bezzera BZ99 and a rancillio rocky grinder. I can make a pretty descent coffee from this machine but one thing has always bothered me.

This is that no matter how fine I get the grind of the coffee I’ll get one of the 2 following scenarios:

1.      Machine will spit coffee and water everywhere because it is over dosed or the grind is too fine
    2.      More often, the coffee will come out too fast. Around 15 seconds for 60ml from pressing the button.

I just can’t seem to get the setting right. I have made sure that my dosing is consistently at 14-15g and obviously I can get the grind fine enough because it is choking the machine. I just can’t seem to get a perfect pour.

Any suggestions?

If the units is running correctly and these units are usually solid unless some fool has been adjusting...

Get fresh coffee !!! Not supermarket stuff.

Use a double basket

Where are you located ?

Comment

Hi mc,

Are you using fresh beans?

Where is the coffee spitting out from?

Have you tried using the 5 cent piece test? grind dose tamp, put 5 cents on top, lock it in. When you take it out the 5 cents should make a faint impression on the dry puck. if its mashed it, your dose is too high, if theres nothing then doser more by tapping the group handle on the bench once then top up. Its a good starting point.

Also hows rocky? When did you last clean it? One thing you can do is to find true zero. make sure your grinder is empty, turn it on and adjust the grinder finer until you hear the burrs softly touch. Note the number and back off +8 for a starting point. The numbers on the grinder are just a guide.

Comment

Tamp depth is more important than measuring grams of coffee
        Several types of available baskets can hold from 7 grams to 21 grams

So its more important that you dose for the machines parameters
        Start at an 8mm tamp depth and make sure its level
        Use fresh coffee beans and that includes purging old or overnight grinds from the grinder shoot and dispose

The BZ99 uses a commercial group head
        Its important that the group head seal is cleaned with a brush after every use
        Also the commercial group head does not act in the same way as an E61 group head in relation to pre infusion

It is also a good practice to check and replace if required the group head seal regularly

KK

Comment

I forgot to mention that I use fresh beans which I roast on the baby roaster. This part isnt so bad because we can get excellent results with the same beans on my friends Giotto. I just wish I could tame this beast!

Basket depth is something I am looking into... I am not sure if I have the 12g basket or the 14g basket. (Noticed these on the coffee parts site) Any easy ways to tell?

Comment

Thanks everyone for suggestions. To answer some questions (Sorry dont know how to quote yet)

- The coffee is never more than 1 week old. More likely 2-3 days as baby roaster only allows 200g at a time.

- The coffee is spitting out from sides when the grind is too fine or there is too much coffee.

- The group seal was replaced about 2 months ago as was the screen.

- I cleaned my rocky about 2 months ago as well. Though I am not sure if I did it correctly. Only cleaned the bits that came off relatively easily. Ie the top housing and top burr.

- I am located in Castle Hill NSW.

- I have it about 6 notches from absolute zero on the rocky.

Comment

From the information supplied it seems like it wants a grind size in between the two extremes youre getting.

I havent used a Rocky but recall that some users have done a stepless modification to cater for this need.

Another way to slow down a pour, as you appear to know, is to add more coffee to the basket.
              Unfortunately for you your basket is apparently too small to allow for this adjustment.

Two things I can think of then:

1- Try a better grinder
              2- Try a bigger basket

Comment

I used to find with my popper that fresh and inconsistent roasts would give variable pours even when no other parameters changed. Id make my first port of call a kilo of browns from a sponsor and see what happens when you pull multiple shots and change nothing. Its the cheapest and most fun trouble-shooting youll have! I cant fault my Rocky even when so many have tried too. It just bloody works... even when you wish it wouldnt (for the blingy upgrade).

All the best!

Comment

Gday mc....

I would highly recommend that you take your newly acquired Bezz into the closest Site Sponsors premises for a service and "Scace Setup". At least that way, youll know your machine is properly configured with the rest being solely up to you and your fresh beans.... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 5753544C5F593A0 link=1296605324/5#5 date=1296613225
                    - The coffee is never more than 1 week old. More likely 2-3 days as baby roaster only allows 200g at a time.
                    Sounds to me like your beans need to de-gas a bit more before you try and make coffee with them. Beans that are only 2-3 days old will almost always swell in the basket and prevent you from getting anything close to decent extraction. Water spitting and fast pours are typical symptoms of this. Most freshly roasted beans peak more than 5 days (and this can stretch to 2 weeks) after the roast so my suggestion would be to be a bit more patient and to let your beans de-gas FULLY before making coffee with them.

Comment

Originally posted by 023D3A3D2035272731540 link=1296605324/9#9 date=1296694871
                      Originally posted by 5753544C5F593A0 link=1296605324/5#5 date=1296613225
                      Sounds to me like your beans need to de-gas a bit more before you try and make coffee with them.
                      One of the big draws of the Baby Roaster (for me anyway) is that you dont need to rest the beans afterwards. Plenty of threads on it.

Comment

I tried couple of things mentioned here with great success!

Still not where I want to be, but its much better than before.

So I found the true zero of the Rocky and ground some beans at 3 above zero. Also as suggested by Koffee Kosmo, I made sure I only had enough coffee there so I could tamp down to 8mm. This gave me better result than I had in a long while. Shot time for last 3 shots have been around 20-25 seconds and taste is much better in the cup.

Thanks everyone for tips.

P.S Does anyone know which 2 hole tip would fit the BZ99 from coffee parts? the 8mm or the 10mm thread?

Cheers!

Comment

[QUOTE=3731262D3730282A430 link=1296605324/10#10 date=1296698811]
                          Originally posted by 023D3A3D2035272731540 link=1296605324/9#9 date=1296694871

One of the big draws of the Baby Roaster (for me anyway) is that you dont need to rest the beans afterwards. Plenty of threads on it.
                          True.. love the baby roaster. No complaints in the beans department

Can anyone recommend me a coffee/barista/espresso machine course?

Comment

Hi mc,

Ive had a BZ99 for about 15 months and had similar frustrations. I solved it by doing exactly what Thundergod suggested:
                            1: upgraded my grinder from a Sunbeam EM0450 to a Compak K3T. This gave me much greater control over the grind.

2: I bought a 21 gram basket. This allows me to underfill so that I get at least 8mm tamp depth. The Bezzera has a really low shower screen so it is sensitive to tamp depth.

I now get good consistent shots.

Hope this helps,
                            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by 2C282F372422410 link=1296605324/11#11 date=1296716166
                              Does anyone know which 2 hole tip would fit the BZ99 from coffee parts? the 8mm or the 10mm thread?
                              Email or ring Pedro at Coffee Parts and hell tell you.

Comment

Working...
                              X