Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a Commercial 10amp 1 group machine that is being domesticated

Hi, thanks for reading

A few questions for those with greater coffee machinery wisdom than I.

I currently have a Sunbeam setup, the usual em6910 and matching grinder. (photo below) The story is I wore out the collar with use and a little experimenting. Replaced collar and seals, but I am no longer satisfied with the coffee being produced. I believe I have reached the limit of my EM6910 and its time to upgrade or go back to a coffee shop
    so..
    I looked for weeks for a 10amp commercial 1 group machine that I could readily obtain parts for. Found a Nouva Simonelli MAC 2000V with a 5L boiler that was in my price range and fitted the kitchen space. Sold.

I picked it up today (Sat 12th Feb 2011) and started pulling it apart in order to clean and view what I needed to do in order to get it running efficiently. Its a few years old and been a few years garaged.
    I am going to replace all the grouphead parts using coffeeparts -  http://www.coffeeparts.com/nuova-simonelli/nuova-simonelli-spare-parts-1.html    
    they are a site sponsor so I think I am ok to have a link here..?

First power up: The buttons worked, nothing leaks, steam is OK, hotwater is damn hot and espresso works on first run. BUT I noticed the pump did not turn on...... I ran the hotwater for a few minutes, pump still did not turn on? Have i purchased a dud? I have a small timeframe to return and refund.

Questions I have for any tech expert who can assist:
    1. When should the pump turn on? it seems the pressure form the heated tank drove the grouphead and steam.
    2. How can I force the pump to come on? or test it? or test the capacitor?
    3. What is the best way to descale a 5L tank at home? Take it out, leave it in?? Is there an effective way to clean the pipes and other copper plumbing???

The red Nouva is not mine, stolen the photo from USA ebay, mine is a black bodied machine, but in peices currently.
    I am also planning on purchasing a Mazzer Mini E Model A - post tax return unless I can find a sub $1K new then its a buy now.

Re: Help with a Commercial 10amp 1 group machine that is being domesticated

when u say hot water do you mean from the hot water tap / arm?
    hot water might just be coming out under pressure from boiler (normal operation) via the opening of a solenoid then boiler pressure just pushes out  the hot water. i am talking about the steam wand here not the group head

is pump running when making espresso? pump needs to run when making espresso.....

Comment

also are you running your water from a "tank" or from the tap somehow.
      if tank make sure your keeping the pump "wet" rotary pumps dont really like self priming and prefer line pressure from tap or having the tank above the pump or even a non return valve on the line keeping the pump primed

if from a tank you may need to adjust the pump pressure as well.

nice looking machine

Comment

I assume this machine has a rotary pump which are much quieter than vibe pumps. The 6910 is particularly loud. Could it simply be youre not hearing the pump?

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies,

Answers to above are:
          Currently plumbed into kitchen sink cold tap (no filter... looking at Bombora filters now). Wife arrived home to find hot water only sink.

Em6910 is loud, almost a grunt, grunt, grunt....
          the commercial machine only makes a water valve on/off click as the tank fills. I havent heard the motor yet.

Rotory pump - I believe so. The pump is big and round, attached to a pump housing.

Attached are photos of the EM6900 collar upgrade FYI. Took 3 hours, if done again I could do it in 30mins. old collar has deep groves around 2/3mm where the PF was digging into the brass collar - cause by use and lots of overdosing...

Photos resized. Ta

Comment

Originally posted by 786661677A607E76130 link=1297509499/4#4 date=1297513231
            sorry about the huge photos. Can they be resized in CS or do I have to go through Photoshop to reduce size?
            This thread should help you out with that mate... http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1187136315

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 594740465B415F57320 link=1297509499/0#0 date=1297509498
              When should the pump turn on? it seems the pressure form the heated tank drove the grouphead and steam.
              when you make a coffee. maybe when you draw hot water/steam - but it may also just do this from mains pressure.

Originally posted by 594740465B415F57320 link=1297509499/0#0 date=1297509498
              How can I force the pump to come on? or test it? or test the capacitor?
              test you are getting power to your pump when you hit brew switch. if youre not, then you have a problem. multimeter.

Comment

Thanks so far. I own a multimeter but have never tested 240V, only 12v.
                My brother is a sparky, but lives on the Goldcoast, myself in Sydney. Time to make a phone call for some over the phone how not to get eletricuted while testing the power to pump. Cheers, will reply with how it all went.

Comment

well I guess even if you do have power, you still have a problem - this will help narrow down your problem though! and yeah dont electrocute yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by 213F383E2339272F4A0 link=1297509499/7#7 date=1297548431
                    Thanks so far. I own a multimeter but have never tested 240V, only 12v.
                    My brother is a sparky, but lives on the Goldcoast, myself in Sydney. Time to make a phone call for some over the phone how not to get eletricuted while testing the power to pump. Cheers, will reply with how it all went.
                    I really dont know why you would take the risk to be honest - 12V is NOT 240V...

Why not contact a local licensed sparky and have the machine thoroughly checked out and repaired where necessary. Simple mistakes have killed many people, including kids; I wouldnt want that on my conscience.

Another thing to think about, if something happens to you or a member of your family after following advice from your brother over the phone but maybe not implementing said advice properly, even your brother can be held liable and accountable...

Mal.

Comment

Advice taken. Not keen on 240v, my dad played a joke on me as a kid and had me hold the spark plug cable of his car when he cranked it over, wanted to know if there was a spark coming through... I can only imagine what 240v of fun would do...

After speaking with the Canadian sparky, he suggested I purchase a $50 portable heavy duty safety switch that can carry the load of the machine (2000w) and test power supply with a light stick (not sure what the real term is but its a non contact tester that lights up when power is running and earthed through a tested cable).
                      Photos below.
                      I arrived home with my new purchases and turned on the power button just to make sure all was well before I hooked up the HPM Safety Switch and nothing - no power. I checked to see if it was still plugged in - the plug was black on one side. Damn.
                      Rewired the plug with a spare, plugged in the HPM safety Switch and turned it back on - machine not turning on at main control on/off, but power running through all machine wiring except the leads running to the control board.
                      Pulled apart the main control box (unplugged from wall) and found a fuse was fried. Will purchase and replace tomorrow. Upon closer inspection of the burnt out plug the brown contact was rusted badly - I assume this caused resistance and the heating/fusing of the plug. Will give it another go with a new plug and a new fuse. Fingers crossed.
                      Turning into a saga. Sorry. Hope it has a happy ending, but unless all comes good with a new fuse I think I am heading towards returning this machine. Shame.

Comment

If fuse is just broken... May be OK..

Other wise;

If teh fuse has vaporised then WATCH out...

OR

If the Fuse has vaporised and teh glass cracked - Stand well back.

And let a trained person work on it...

A blown fuse can be suss if old etc a Vaporised is about something going SHORT...

Comment

Fuse just broken. Metal wire inside missing a peice in middle, no cracked glass. Standing back still a good option though.
                          I think it might be the old fuse suitation, combined with a pooly maintained wall plug that gave up.... replace both hope it runs, then I can get back to testing the pump.
                          If all works I can invest in some new plumbing and wife can have her cold water tap back. Will update on the outcome.

Comment

Purchased a new fuse, put it in, plugged into wall and turned on. Burnt out straight away.
                            Contacting seller. Was sold machine on premise it was functioning and never had any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by 312F282E3329373F5A0 link=1297509499/13#13 date=1297684002
                              Purchased a new fuse, put it in, plugged into wall and turned on. Burnt out straight away.
                              Contacting seller. Was sold machine on premise it was functioning and never had any issues.  
                              If ya picked it up then there are lots to be away of and many places will not cover you as you should have checked at time of collection.

If delivered then there may be some hope.

PS. A good tec should be able to solve it  with out too much trouble but parts are always an issue.

Buyer be ware from any and all auctions...  If you can not run it then you take a risk...

Best of luck

From what I can see the cct is very simple and either a shorted element or a control board fault.

PS. TWO fuses 1 x 3.15A and a 1 x 83ma - Get a qualified person to check it out before someone gets hurt.

PPS. Ageist the law to rewire 240V plugs in Australia without a licence.. Yes you can buy but must be fitted by qualified person...

AM

Comment

Working...
                              X