Am i on the right track.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am i on the right track.

I am a noob that found cs when researching coffee machines. My partner and i are planning a new kitchen and i as the coffee drinker wanted a setup after seeing lots of ads on tv and magazines for different machines ie automatics and pods etc. My initial research led me to Silvia and Lelit. More research and i learnt about temp surfing and boiler element failure a well as gronking pids and showerscreen screw replacement. For Lelit its non standard 57mm handles thus having to make your own naked handles. I then learnt of the importance of the grinder and fresh beans. The budget gets higher.
    Next it was research of hx machines and as i am limited for space i was looking at a smaller boiler machine. E61 heads seem to be the go so it was off to find who made the best one which lead me to VBM. I was set then i found water filtering. I now know that Diadema machines have a resin filter which softens the water and i believe that one can be fitted to the VBM. I will install a sink filter system when the kitchen gets done but this may be 6 to twelve months.
    So my question is am i on the right track? Will this work for me without damaging the machine over this time frame. Yes i know that i need to recharge and replace the resin filters.
    I am getting a K3t Grinder as i believe this will be ok for just a few coffees each day. I am still not sure VBM or Diadema.

Re: Am i on the right track.

Hi Kafine. Its good to see youre doing a lot of research before purchasing and youre likely to start at the HX leve. In the long run this will save you upgrading and work out cheaper.

The question of water filtration is an important one. My recommendation would be to contact Bernard from Bombora Supplies (see list of sponsors on left of page). The amount of filtration required will depend on the state of your source water. I live in Adelaide which has quite hard water and require a reasonably good filtration system for my coffee machine. If youre in Melbourne, which has soft water, you may need something simpler & cheaper.

When I got my HX last year I was trying to choose between the Diadema Junior Semi Auto and the VBM Domobar Junior. They are both great machines and you cant go wrong with either of them. I ended up getting the VBM because it has a little more grunt. In hindsight I doubt the Diadema would have ever left me wanting for more power.

The K3T is a good match for either of them.

Comment

You are doing great homework Kafine and CJ has added great advice.

Id suggest you provide for a plumbed machine, even if you dont use one in the near future. As you will have tradies on side, bring power- 15A if possible in case your numbers come up, as well as 1/2" cold water and suitable drainage for an espresso machine into the vicinity of the machine location. If in the future you decide to get a plumbed machine, hookup will be routine and far less expensive than bringing the tradies back in then.

Good luck!

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 6842454A4D46230 link=1303952219/0#0 date=1303952219
        For Lelit its non standard 57mm handles thus having to make your own naked handles.
        Hi Kafine,

Genuine Lelit naked PFs are available, and while a 58mm portafilter is a common size, it is not a standard. There are a number of 58mm PFs that are not interchangeable. Having handles that differ from 58mm isnt a problem in and of itself.

Originally posted by 6842454A4D46230 link=1303952219/0#0 date=1303952219
        I will install a sink filter system when the kitchen gets done but this may be 6 to twelve months.
        The under sink systems we have (through Bombora) can take as little as 10 minutes to install or uninstall, so they might still be feasible in your case.

charlie

Comment

Interesting I will look at those when I do my course Charlie. I hope to buy what I need for many a year and dont think I am going the plumbed option but its a good plan to have the electricity wired when doing the kitchen. Thanks Chris. I am on the Central Coast NSW so am not sure of water quality but am still interested in anyone who uses a resin to chime in as because of space in old kitchen mAy not be able to fit a filter straight away.

Comment

My filtration is actually set up on the outside. The main reason for this is because I had no exposed piping under the kitchen sink. The pipes run through the wall cavity and connect directly to the taps and faucet.

There are exposed pipes on the external wall on the other side of where the kitchen sink is. I tapped into the copper pipe with compression fittings from the hardware store. I then ran the thin plastic tube coming out of the filter through the double wall and to the kitchen sink.

The other bonus to this is that I lost no under sink space. I made a wooden box to cover the filtration and protect it from the elements. I had never done any plumbing before and found it quite simple. All I needed was a hacksaw to the cut the pipe and a couple of spanners. The only thing I had to buy was a 30cm drill bit to go through the double wall.

Comment

Good idea as well thanks caffeine junky. I am planning underbench filters for the new kitchen but dont want to wait to get machine so more research. Its becoming clear a resin filter wont do the job. If it would I am sure Chris and Charlie would have said. Maybe an above bench one for the time being that connects to the spout of the mixer tap.

Comment

An above the sink will do well. I used one for years.

Please, DO talk to Bombora--we all use the word filter and indeed a filter is important, BUT water scale does not filter out, the water must be softened; and Bombora will know what softener is appropriate for your water supply.

Appropriately softened water will prevent scale problems and reduce maintenance costs drastically, as well as making the coffee taste better.

Greg

Comment

Yes thanks Greg... I use the word filter but do know its a softener that i need. I did try to talk to Bombora but the receptionist told me they only deal with businesses but i will try again after i see the unit at Jetblack when i do the course.

Comment

Originally posted by 1F35323D3A31540 link=1303952219/8#8 date=1304140437
                    I did try to talk to Bombora but the receptionist told me they only deal with businesses but i will try again
                    I suggest you just ask to speak to Bernard and say "Its a CoffeeSnob here". He also responds really well to emails!

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 1A2F383A0A322F303C31395D0 link=1303952219/9#9 date=1304225790
                      I suggest you just ask to speak to Bernard and say "Its a CoffeeSnob here". He also responds really well to emails!Greg
                      Indeed he does. He even gave me a CS discount without asking him for it.

Comment

Thanks guys this is a great forum for information and answers. I shall contact Bernard.

Comment

Working...
                        X