Shhhh I need quiet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shhhh I need quiet...

Im guessing that Im going to have to go into this level pricing to get a quieter machine.

Im not a noise person, especially in the morning, it drives me insane making a cappuccino for my OH at 6am.

My research has led me to the rotary pump machines and listening to them on youtube.

What machines have a rotary pump and what might be coming out with one? just in case I havent discovered them all

Re: Shhhh I need quiet...

My own opinion on "noise" in the perennial "vibration pump VS rotary pump" debate is, that the grinder makes heaps more noise and neither (grinder or pump) go for long enough for it to be of any real significance EXCEPT.......if you happen to be listening to the news and are just about to get to the salient point in the report....and someone switches on the grinder and you miss out on getting the guts on the report......

So I always wait to switch on the grinder if my wife is listening to something that she really  wants to hear and get to the bottom of.....

If you want to go the whole hog on the noise reduction thing may I suggest buying pre ground so you dont have to have a grinder going at all  ...sorry couldnt help the wise crack!

After that, it is only my opinion but too much is made of the vibration VS rotary pump thing in home use single group machines. However if a rotary pump machine floats your boat then by golly by gum.....its your money and you should have one   but try not to get too carried away wityh the things that get written all over these forums that make people want to spend more and more money going for ever more "academic quality" or "higher end" stuff. You may not be able to tell the difference in the cup but the traders will love you for spending the extra money.

Regardz,
    Attilio.

Comment

If you want a rotary pump machine you may need to go to the next category as I dont know if there are any under $3K.

Most machines with rotary pumps are plumb-in machines.  The Izzo Alex & Alex Duetto, Ibertal LAnna & Rocket Giotto Evoluzione have the option of tank or plumb at the flick of a switch.

The Expobar Minore can be ordered in a plumbed-in version and I believe so can the VBM Domobar Super and the Bezzera Domus Galatea.  These would be plumbed-in only, no tank.

One of my favourites is the LaSpaziale Vivaldi II but dont know if this is available at the moment.

If I were you I would still consider a vibration pump machine, they are definitely not all built the same.  My VMB Domobar Jr is very quiet compared to other machines Ive owned (e.g. EM6910, Lelit).

I dont think its the pump themselves that make a lot of noise but rather any loose metal bits rattling when the pump kicks in. The better put together a machine is the less rattles. I dont know if they use dampening parts similar to higher end computers.

Comment

damn sorry, yes it was supposed to be there, can a mod change it please?

I manually grind on my Spong, that isnt going to change, so I dont have to take the grinder noise into account with my decision

Comment

Originally posted by 6F747D6C796F74757A68796E1C0 link=1303955110/0#0 date=1303955110
          Im guessing that Im going to have to go into this level pricing to get a quieter machine.

Im not a noise person, especially in the morning, it drives me insane making a cappuccino for my OH at 6am.

My research has led me to the rotary pump machines and listening to them on youtube.

What machines have a rotary pump and what might be coming out with one?
          just in case I havent discovered them all
          We have the Giotto Evolution on the bench now, why you come fro a drive and test the noise level.

Regards

Renzo

Comment

LOL thanks Renzo

We are definitely coming for a drive, we just have to find a spare weekend, probably next month, that is why Im researching now, to make sure I know what Im looking for and if everyone covers them all so we can make a round trip on the same day

Comment

Hello ss,

CJ was correct in his range list for you.

You will pay for a rotary pump, but will have the option to plumb in.

Your options from least expensive to most expensive are in HX: Alex II PID, Iberital Handy, Giotto Evoluzione and the dual boiler Alex Duetto II PID.

Dennis will be happy to assist with any of them and will offer you terrific pricing and service. Ofra and Renzo can also supply the Alex Duetto II.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 14212C2B1F032F26262525400 link=1303955110/6#6 date=1303957730
                CJ was correct in his range list for you.
                Well I did use your website as a prompt ;D

Comment

Oh wow CJ how quiet is the LaSpaziale Vivaldi II, got to love that

Comment

2nd hand you might consider a small plumb in commercial
                    ones with small foot prints like
                    carimali Uno
                    faema e98 A1 (rebadged cimbali)
                    think there are a few grimacs ? (rebadged something)

getting bigger
                    san marino have a few "small ones"
                    the san marco one as well
                    something like me Brugnetti

but then you got to find a good one....

i love my rotarys they are very quite. My Brug has a external pump and i have located it under the sink and it is nearly silent. Get a faster grinder and your "quite"

Comment

I love it, rotaries are the way to go, everything I own will have a rotary of sorts in it The car is loud though, lots of sound deadening for that ;D

Thank you everyone for your comments, I can see that I had only missed finding 2 after all.

I might seriously look at the LaSpaziale Vivaldi II, I really like it, Ive found some places that will ship to Australia already

Comment

Originally posted by 415A534257415A5B54465740320 link=1303955110/10#10 date=1303969478
                        I might seriously look at the LaSpaziale Vivaldi II, I really like it, Ive found some places that will ship to Australia already
                        *Alarm Bells*

Please read this thread before considering importing from overseas...

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1287272930/21

By the way you could probably add the Bezzera BZ35 to that list.

Comment

Hahahaha if you take notice youll see I actually participated in that thread.

I dont understand peoples immediate reaction to oh no you cant do that, this is a product that has no ETA into Australia, how the hell else am I going to get it.

We have just imported an ECU for our car and that is because no one sells them here yet. There is nothing wrong with doing this when you have the skills to be able use it to the best of its ability and deal with any problems if they arise. Majority of people dont have the skills and yes therefore shouldnt go out on a limb and import.

Anyway, ultimately its our choice on what we do.

Comment

This thread has kept me amused for most of the afternoon - in between roasts.

Based on listening to youtube, youre going to import a particular coffee machine? If you upgrade your Spong from a No.1 to a No.5 it too will reduce the awful noise of preparing coffee, or certainly the time taken to do so. ;D

Comment

...and people wonder why the F people leave this place in droves...

and yes I do know that a No.5 is a meat grinder!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X