Giove II / TCI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giove II / TCI

There’s not a lot of information on here about the Giove, so I thought I’d post some details for CSers who are interested.
    Machine Name: Giove II (or TCI) mnufactured by BFC/Royal
    Price range: RRP $3K
    Features:
    • Dual boiler
    • Dual PID
    • Lever operated e-61 group
    • 1.3 L boiler, 0.8L steam boiler
    • Energy saving mode
    • Automatic boiler level control
    • 58mm portafilters
    • Vibe pump
    • Hot water and steam arms
    Dimensions: 42(L) x 30.5(W) x 440(H)

Note: also comes in a HX version that retails at around $2450

Will attach a pic when I get my machine ;D

Re: Giove II / TCI

Nice one Tashie. Im surprised there hasnt been more mentioned on here, or anywhere else for that matter, of this machine. Im guessing the internals are similar to the BFC Junior Extra also with Dual Boiler & PID.

Comment

I have had one of these machines for a couple of months now and am hugely impressed...Not only does it deliver a fantastic result it looks sharp too! Highly Recommend

Comment

congrats tashie
        in the deep end now eh? 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by 3E23272229294C0 link=1306154349/3#3 date=1306206976
          in the deep end now eh? 
          Took the advice of several CSers who said if youre upgrading, you might as well do it once and do it well rather than in several baby steps... and here I am!

Comment

Congrats "tashie"... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Lovely machine. Maybe you could do a bit of a Review and then post it up in the Machine Review Section. Im sure a lot of people would appreciate it....

Mal.

Comment

Pic of internals courtesy of the guys at 9Bar.

Comment

What I liked about the Giove and why I decided to buy it:
                - Small footprint -its smaller than any other dual boiler Ive seen
                - Simple design, this is just personal preference
                - I liked the idea of having a dual boiler machine, where steam and brew water are separate (no trade off between the two) as the majority of the household and most visitors have milk in their coffee
                - I like the idea of a PID for brewing as coming from a Silvia I struggled with extracting consistent shots back to back
                - Theres an energy saving mode (Craig said it cuts about half the consumption - not sure if thats a guesstimated percentage)

Here are my initial impressions after 3 days.

- Temp stability, easier to pull consistent shots
                - e61 pre infusion gives more depth to shots
                - Looks pretty on the bench!
                - Huge drip tray
                - Ball jointed wands

Dislikes:
                - Water reservoir is hard to fill, there is an opening about the size of a 50c piece, and a cap over the top of it which had to be removed (though I suppose you could take the cap off if you wanted)

I originally used my Synesso basket that my Pullman was sized to, but found much better results with the supplied double basket.

Ive noticed the PF is angled whereas my old Silvias PF was straight - that took a bit of adjusting too

Thats my 2c for now, hope it helps some Giove users down the track

Comment

Originally posted by 6376647F7E72170 link=1306154349/7#7 date=1306494811
                  I originally used my Synesso basket that my Pullman was sized to, but found much better results with the supplied double basket.
                  I find the same with my GPP Plus. The pours through the bottomless handle are much better with the standard basket, less/no channelling.

Comment

Nice pick up Tashie and its great that you have finally made the decision. You will not know yourself and Id bet you dont miss that Silvia

You are in great hands with Craig, Phil, Jim and the 9Bar crew. They are the quiet achievers of the CS community.

Well done and I hope you enjoy your new machine.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 6167707B61667E7C150 link=1306154349/8#8 date=1306497994
                      I find the same with my Giotto Premium Plus. The pours through the bottomless handle are much better with the standard basket,  less/no channelling.
                      I am getting some awful pours through my bottomless PF (just got it today) and will need to spend some time diagnosing tomorrow.

Originally posted by 4174797E4A567A73737070150 link=1306154349/9#9 date=1306498042
                      Nice pick up Tashie and its great that you have finally made the decision.
                      Thanks Chris. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend both Talk Coffee and 9Bar to anyone wanting to buy their new machine as your honest advice and expertise have been absolutely invaluable.

Originally posted by 4174797E4A567A73737070150 link=1306154349/9#9 date=1306498042
                      You are in great hands with Craig, Phil, Jim and the 9Bar crew. They are the quiet achievers of the CS community.
                      They are absolutely fabulous! Phil even diagnosed my machine over the phone (I did a stupid thing on day 2 - long story)

Comment

Cant imagine life without Giove now

Other notes:
                        I took out the resin filter that came attached as it stopped water being pulled through the pipes properly. The tank was 2/3 full, but the pump would still run dry. Not sure why that was, so I removed it.

Have switched back to Synesso basket as the other basket was not extracting properly, I think the holes were not evenly sized as there was a dead spot in the middle.

The cup warming tray is excellent! I love having actually warm cups

The drip tray is HUGE, so I hardly have to empty it at all compared to Silvia.

Microfoam is taking me a while to master, Im not sure why - maybe Im not used to the steam power and two hole tip. I usually get foam with a layer of watery milk - eeyucck.

Comment

Hi,

Ive just received my Giove II and have mastered the espresso side of the machine, unfortunately I have joined the watery milk brigade, does anybody have any tips for the Giove II two hole? Ive looked at loads of videos (including Scottie Calaghans) with no success.

Comment

Working...
                          X