Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Marino CKX

Hi CSers,

im looking to buy a 2nd hand San Marino CKX and had a look at today. cosmetically looks in a great condition for a 4 year old machine. the guy who owns it is a espresso machine tech so he changed out the pressuresat recently.

but i find it wierd it only sat on 0.5 - 0.6 at normal pressure. water from the group head looks like its running pretty hot, and plenty of steam coming out.

anyone has that the CKX before can comment on it? and how bout the steam wand, i didnt check but i think its a 5 hole one and itd be too fast for steaming 160-200ml of milk that i usually do. any one changed it over before?

any help would be great!

cheers

albert

Re: San Marino CKX

gauge might be a bit stuffed, remember they are really an "indicator" and best tested with a temp device

tips are changeable even if you have to block a few holes if you cannot buy a replacement.

or support a dairy and waste a little milk?

Comment

albert, I had the CK (older plastic top) which I think it pretty much the same internally with a commercial group.

The steaming was too fast for me, and I found that both of coffeeparts 2 hole tips didnt fit mine (incorrect thread) but the new machines might be different.

The previous owner might have the pressurestat down low to control the steam, but the problem is that this then effects the group water temperature too.

I played with 0.8 - 1.3 on mine and found the steam pressure pretty much full on either way. I was getting the hang of it a bit but I have to admit it was still too fast for me to get good consistant microfoam. If I kept the machine I was going to fill in all the holes on the existing tip and drill two new holes. That would have made it more controlable.

I got obsessed by levers and bought another machine instead.

Comment

I have the CKX for almost 3 years now. Im quite happy with the machine thought the brewing water can get quite hot sometimes. just making sure u do yr cooling flush properly.

I have no issue with milk frothing using the original short 5 holes steam arm. I find there is not enough steam power for a 600ml jug. I reckon u just need to practice more with it.

Where do u live? Ure always welcome to come to my place and have a go with the CKX. I can show u how to do the milk. Im in melbourne

Comment

hi guys,

i did go on and bought the machine. couldnt play around with it too much because i had to fly back to jakarta.

maheel, in regards to the gauge, yea definitely stuffed. but yea the waters hot and steams really powerful.

lacehim, just wondering which two tip did you try? and what thread is it. i wasnt sure what it was since i only played with it for couple of hours.

tony, im used to my diadema with a 2 hole steam tip from coffee parts(with small holes) and i find that it can do really smooth in good time. not too fast not too slow. because i use only 200ml on a 400ml jug that 5 hole tip is way too much.

im based in perth.. and jakarta thanks for your offer anyways

Comment

hi guys, need some help again here.

got back to perth bout 5 days ago. and had used the ckx for a couple of days but the next morning it suddenly stopped working.

i would turn on the power switch and it would just trip the switch at the mains. so it turned it self off instantly and the other things connected to that switch. its a 40amp one. i tried moving it to other power points and its still all the same.

i dont really know whats wrong with it, but i would guess its the electronic / thing that controls the power. opened it up tonight and saw pretty much everything looks as is.. just bit of scale here and there that i cleaned up.

any ideas? im trying to contact the guy (whos a coffee machine tech) but havent been able to.

oh and im asking coffeeparts if they had any steam tip that will match the ckx, but they mentioned its 9mm not 10mm thread.

cheers

albert

Comment

Originally posted by 3B36383F282E3D5A0 link=1307721759/5#5 date=1315056743
              i would turn on the power switch and it would just trip the switch at the mains. so it turned it self off instantly and the other things connected to that switch. its a 40amp one. i tried moving it to other power points and its still all the same.
              Well Albert you just proof that is not your house circuit, so could be many things in the machine; power switch, heating element, pump, solonoid; call you technition he should be able to fix it for you, other wise you can go start disconnectin one by one any of the above parts until does not drop the swicth but does not the way to do it. If you are not qualified electrical repair you should not disconnect anything.

Regards

Renzo
              Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre

Comment

thanks for the info Renzo, im now running my Silvia again on it and it runs no problem. by the way would you have any 2 hole steam tip that will fit on the CKX?

yeah still no luck. will try again tomorrow, if not ill bring it in to the service center and ask them to fix it

Comment

just updating here,

got around contacting the tech and he opened it up. filled up the water tank and seems to have run fine.. then after a while water starts to leak. apparently a cable went loose, the one that connects on top of the boiler. i believe its the water level probe. so water would just go into the boiler and over flow.

so yeah i left it with him over the weekend and on monday i went around and tested it out with him. asked hm to change the old n broken gauge with one lying around. tested it again. and puff goes the element! right in front of us.

seems like im in bad luck so yeah gotta find a new element for it and open the whole thing up so we can get it replaced. if we cant source in perth, i might go order one from coffeeparts.

cheers

albert

Comment

Working...
                  X