Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new or second hand lever...

Hi all,
    Im a newbee to coffesnobs, but have had an old Quaha Napoletana II for over 10 years now - and now am suffering a dose of delayed upgraditis.
    Im leaning toward a lever machine and would like some opinions... New or used. Any help appreciated.
    Budgett 2-3K.
    Cheers
    Steve

Re: A new or second hand lever...

Hi Steve,

Seems like the popularity of levers is starting to increase by the day. I hope this leads to more models from manufacturers.

Have you checked out the new Bezerra Strega? Another option is the Ponte Vecchio Lusso from Sorrentina. These have already been discussed on this forum if you would like to do a search.

With regards to second hand machine, I will leave it to others much more expert to comment.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you end up with.

Comment

Anyone used the La Pavoni Pub Lever?? at 3.5k retail in aus i reckon its gotta be up there with what to buy. Although i have never been over to have a play with one.

I havent seen it discussed on this site though since its a non site sponsor who imports and sells them.

Comment

As was indicated above there are some good machines available.

Just checking, does your budget need to include a new grinder or not?

If not, a new Bezzera Strega would just fit in budget wise and looks like it will be quite good. Does have a pre-infusion pump tho, so is not quite as simple as some others, but still should last a long time with decent maintenance, and is reprted to make nice brews.  Too soon for these to be on used market.

The Izzo Pompeii is a lot too dear new, and has to be plumbed in, (and appears like a class leader).  But if a used one came along at the right price, it might be worth thinking about, although not many about in Aust.

A new Ponte Vecchio Lusso is well within your budget and has some pretty good comments from other forums that have more active Lever machine users, and you could afford a new grinder if you wanted/needed to. (Lussos currently out of stock in Aust. but I believe new stock due soon).  Too soon to be many of these around on used market.

For much less you can pick up used LaPavoni units, but they are reported to have some limitations with overheating the group if you try to pull multiple shots in succession. 

Doesnt appear to be many Olympia Cremina or Microcasa a Levers around, they are reported to have good brewing capability, although both can be subject to overheating the group if used to pull multiple shots.

However being relatively simpler than pump machines there is less to go wrong with the average lever machine, so used buys can be good value. As always, less risky if you can see the machine being in the flesh, and see it working...

Comment

Thanks guys, all these machines are all pretty impressive.
          Caffeine Junky, the Bezzera Strega does look nice, as does the Lusso. I will go and search the threads.

Thanks Mischa, the La Pavoni Pub looks good too.
          Budget is a dirty word...

Hey Bullitt, thanks am ok for a grinder ATM, have a gino rossi deli that is going well. So cash will be machine only I think. The Izzo pompei is v.nice. Best I dont look at that site again.
          I think a may go and have a chat to a few sponsors...

On a side note does anyone have opinions about old/vintage cool lever expresso machines?
          I must admit to liking the rebuilt Conti for sale in NZ, or an old Faema but I realise this may cause some budget stress.
          From what I gather an older machine may be simpler, but can still pull great shots. Would that be right?

Comment

if youre up for a massive resto, and the pains of importing a machine from italy, you might be able to have a restored vintage machine for 1.5x or 2x your max budget :P

Comment

Originally posted by 416677647723120 link=1309358082/4#4 date=1309484916

On a side note does anyone have opinions about old/vintage  cool lever expresso machines?
              I must admit to liking the rebuilt Conti for sale in NZ,  or an old Faema but I realise this may cause some budget stress.
              From what I gather an older machine may be simpler, but can still pull great shots. Would that be right?

Suggest you have a chat to Jack at Sorrentina,
              sure he can help you out in that area as he is into that stuff.

Comment

hello all - just stumbled upon this thread.
                Apologies for not being able to contribute greatly to the original question but I do have a lever machine and I have sadly decided to put it up for sale. I was extremely happy when it was plumbed into my previous residence and, unfortunately, not used since I moved. And, yes, it pulls a great spro.
                See link on your left.

Comment

Back in the day I had a La Pavoni Europpicola. I loved that machine and while it pulled a nice shot, it was really a one or two person machine, not suitable for serving guests - especially if they wanted milk drinks.

But so pretty.

Comment

Hi all, thought Id update on the lever search. After long think and look Ive settled on a early 50s faema marte...

Pick up next week.
                    Will post some pics when I pick up.

Anyone using one of these as their daily machine?

Thanks all for your recommendations and thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by 4A6D7C6F7C28190 link=1309358082/9#9 date=1318043312
                      Hi all, thought Id update on the lever search. After long think and look Ive settled on a early 50s faema marte...

Pick up next week.
                      Will post some pics when I pick up.

Anyone using one of these as their daily machine?

Thanks all for your recommendations and thoughts.

I guess the budget of 2-3K got raised a little then? ;D, very nice - there wont be many using those as their daily machine.Is it restored or unrestored? Looking forward to the pics

Comment

Hi Kofekitt,

Perhaps best not to mention the war (budget)! Lets just say that my expenditure has been approved by the war commission.

Yes, in a word this machine and topic needs now to be moved to the extreme machine category.

Restored, and pictures on the weekend!

Nice, I noticed the Lambro, Gaggia lever and Conti coming soon. What is your daily use lever now??

Cheers
                        Steve

Comment

whered you find the machine??

Comment

Originally posted by 486F7E6D7E2A1B0 link=1309358082/11#11 date=1318246938
                            Nice, I noticed the Lambro, Gaggia lever and Conti coming soon. What is your daily use lever now??

Ooops, really should update my profile.Conti was restored and sold to Adelaide.Daily machines at the moment are the Lambro and a Faemina.I still have a spare restored Lambro for sale.

Comment

Hi Kofekit,
                              Ahh, that was your Conti I was looking at! Lovely machine... That was the start of the old lever envy.

Mischa, I bought it locally. Pm me if you want further details.
                              How are you going working on the import???

Pick up tomorrow!!! ;D

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X