Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbi to espresso machines advice needed please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbi to espresso machines advice needed please.

Gday coffee snob world,
    I am, I wont say new, but new to espresso machines of this price range. In the past I have had your basic sunbeam embaressing $250 job which is an expensive paper weight, so actually I will say I am new!!

After reading reviews I am probably more confused then ever, but I have boiled it down to 2 machines;
    Expobar minore IV or Rocket giotto premium plus.

I have noticed they hover around the 2800 to 3k mark. Now my question which one, and why. I would prefer to throw this question out to you guys cause if I go into a shop I am sure they will lead me to the machine they want to sell.

Probably 1 important feature to any machine would be servicing, I am from Sydney and are there service places readily available for both machines.

Thanks again and I will be reading responses with great interest.
    Cheers
    Michael

Re: Newbi to espresso machines advice needed please.

Michael,

I didnt even know the Minore IV was out, but as an owner of a Minore II, I can tell you I have enjoyed mine for around 5 years now!

However, at this level of machine, a lot of the decision comes down to how the machine feels in your hands.

I think it is vital that you get to try any machine you are thinking of buying in the flesh. By doing this, you are going to find out if there are things you particularly like or dislike about certain machines prior to paying out your hard earned.

Some of these things may be minor and of no consequence, but others might be more of an issue to you. Remember, you would be hoping to have this machine for MANY years (upgrades not withstanding), so youll be making coffee on this, day after day, for a long time. A minor irritation now, could turn into more over time.

Being from Sydney, you should see if you can visit sponsors Di Bartoli, Cuppacoffee or Jetblack to have a look at what they have on the bench. They can advise about servicing as well.

Brett.

Comment

Originally posted by 70716A776D262C1E0 link=1310340017/0#0 date=1310340017
      Gday coffee snob world,
      I am, I wont say new, but new to espresso machines of this price range. In the past I have had your basic sunbeam embaressing $250 job which is an expensive paper weight, so actually I will say I am new!!

After reading reviews I am probably more confused then ever, but I have boiled it down to 2 machines;
      Expobar minore IV or Rocket giotto premium plus.

I have noticed they hover around the 2800 to 3k mark. Now my question which one, and why. I would prefer to throw this question out to you guys cause if I go into a shop I am sure they will lead me to the machine they want to sell.

Probably 1 important feature to any machine would be servicing, I am from Sydney and are there service places readily available for both machines.

Thanks again and I will be reading responses with great interest.
      Cheers
      Michael
      Hi Michael,

The Expobar Minore III and Rocket Giotto Premium Plus are both capable espresso machines. The choice may come down to an aspect of the machine such as:
      * drip tray size
      * finish
      * how the water tank is filled
      * how it looks on the bench
      * how the portafilters feel in the hand
      * etc etc

Or the decision can be based on the fundamental design difference - dual boiler with PID control versus Heat Exchanger. The PID gives you the ability to change the brew temperature at a whim while HX is set/checked before purchase.

Then there is the issue of brew water coming from a boiler to the group head versus through the HX to the group head.

I think most people would be happy with either, **BUT** when you can see both and have their differences properly explained you will be sure to pick the one thats right for you.

Wed be happy to give you an unbiased explanation of all the ins and outs of both machines - were in Cremorne in the Lower North Shore.

charlie

BTW, it is still the Expobar Minore III even though it has had a couple of updates in recent months and some retailers have started calling it the Minore IV ...

Comment

I did the same comparison over a year ago now

I bought the GPP Plus because that is what I preferred.

I thought it was better finished and more attractive looking than the Minore.

I didnt want to play around with finding the perfect brew temp for my coffee. I feel there are enough variables already in play without adding brew temp into it.

Pretty sure you would be happy with either but you wont know until you see them side by side and pull some shots. Its only a decision you can make.

Comment

Originally posted by 5553444F55524A48210 link=1310340017/3#3 date=1310359413
          I feel there are enough variables already in play without adding brew temp into it.
          I would have thought that is the point, perfect brew temp is still a variable you just dont have any control over it

Comment

Thanks folks for your reply, you have given me something to think about, and I think its best I go out and see a demo of the machines. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by 27316D226D296D332A202826312A2D24430 link=1310340017/4#4 date=1310361073
              Originally posted by 5553444F55524A48210 link=1310340017/3#3 date=1310359413
              I feel there are enough variables already in play without adding brew temp into it.
              I would have thought that is the point, perfect brew temp is still a variable you just dont have any control over it
              Which makes it one less thing I have to worry about and thats the way I like it.

Im not really into coffee science, I just want to make a drink that tastes good.

From another thread on PID dual boiler machines, not specifically about the Minore though

Originally posted by 7855515D503C0 link=1305962450/49#49 date=1306653525
              Ive already started to explore the benefits of controlled temperature brewing with several different bean types in the space of only a couple of days. To me, it is entirely worth it as I can clearly discern the shift in flavours of the beans and tailor the brew temperature to where I can get exactly what I want from the bean. This is all done with mostly black coffees, espressos, long blacks, etc but with a couple of the beans I have, you can actually shift the flavour profile to make milk coffees more enjoyable. Its a terrific innovation for a coffee geek like me... Wink

As Attilio mentions above though, playing around with flavour profiles by varying the brew temperature to suit different bean types and roast depths, is not necessarily going to suit everyone, even you think the concept is great, its probably not going to be of much benefit to you if you drink mostly milk coffees. Ive got five completely different bean types that Im playing with at the moment and only two of them shift their flavour profiles enough to be sensed in a milk coffee.

Totally different story with black coffees though - Its similar to the concept of looking at a great painting with light being filtered through a continuously variable, full spectrum colour filter. Different light wavelengths highlight certain parts of the painting while depressing others, shift the filter a bit more and a completely different emphasis of the painting is expressed. This is pretty much what happens with varying the brew temperature; so Ive discovered so far.... Its quite amazing how the flavour subtleties can be shifted.
              Hope that helps you in your decision making process

Comment

Working...
              X