Breville BES900 vs Expobar Minore IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville BES900 vs Expobar Minore IV

I have a question regarding peoples perceptions regarding the longevity of both machines. Is it likely that if both machines are cared for as per manufactures specs then they should last as long as one another?

Would the Expobar last longer due to less electronics components etc.

Re: Breville BES900 vs Expobar Minore IV

no offence to breville and this is just my own opinion, but i would think the expobar would outlast the breville multiple times over

Comment

I have been thinking very similar things,in the search of a new machine after running a cafes for 13 years and enjoyed coffee everyday at work , just when i finish(sold cafe) my EM6910 gives up(collar & steam gone!) I have been watching the threads on the BES900 a bit to see problems that are occurring in the first lot.I am feeling a bit torn between trying to get a great 2nd hand HX machine or go with unknown reliability of such a good sounding machine?

Comment

after adding a number sunbeam machines and 1 breville to land fill over the last 10 years I purchased a seconhand DIADEMA Junior Plus. Cost was about the same as the breville 900 but I hope to get a good 10 years or more of service out of it.

Comment

been using an Expobar Leva HX (which I PIDed and added a brew manometer) for more than 1 year without the smallest issue.

Whenever I decide to upgrade, I would do to a Brewtus with rotary pump plumbed in.

Comment

I think you should consider 2 things: the likelihood of failure of the components, and the cost (and complexity) to fix/replace them.

A good HX will be made to be serviceable - anyone with espresso machine servicing experience should be able to replace parts and fix them, to keep it running for 10-20 years. Any tinkerer good with plumbing / electronics should be able to do the same at home, perhaps a bit slower. With good care the boiler can be kept in top condition, and the most expensive part to replace will probably be the control board, if ever.

A BES900 I cant comment on because Ive never touched or taken one apart. Just consider the amount of electronics, how easy you can buy parts yourself, how complicated they are/arent to take apart and put back together, and the types of metals used in construction.

Unfortunately no-one has a time machine, so its best guess (some guesses better than others!) In the meantime I took the same as Ale - bought a 2nd hand Giotto, and my next will be a rotary pump plumbed in machine. Beware that this wasnt without its problems, as Ive just discovered a few hundred $$ worth of servicing to be done...

Originally posted by 77534959525B3A0 link=1318246621/1#1 date=1318248658
            the expobar would outlast the breville multiple times over
            not to mention the Expobar is $1000 more - not quite comparing apples with apples.

Comment

Originally posted by 2C242C2B2127450 link=1318246621/5#5 date=1318289054
              not to mention the Expobar is $1000 more - not quite comparing apples with apples.

Not completely true... but it is the original topic.

A better comparison (which this thread has turned into) is 2nd hand hx for the same money as new breville. I dont think anyone in their right mind would buy a 2nd hand breville unless it was from a fellow coffeesnob and its history was very certain

Comment

Originally posted by 70544E5E555C3D0 link=1318246621/6#6 date=1318332690
                Originally posted by 2C242C2B2127450 link=1318246621/5#5 date=1318289054
                Not completely true... but it is the original topic.
                how so?  Breville RRP $1500, Minore IV $2599, $2805, and $2499 on the first three Australian responses from google.

I know this thread has compared 2nd hand HXs around the $1500 mark, but you have to consider that a machine that costs $2500+ new (and was only released recently so cant be old even if it is second hand) is bound to be different from a machine that costs $1500 new, In My Humble Opinion

If it were me, I would buy a second hand $2500 HX for $1500 any day over a new Breville (and Im a Breville advocate!), but thats just me.  I would also inspect the second hand HX very very closely, including taking off the mushroom, hot water tip, case, have a good look at the internal fittings, and do a complete boiler empty and inspect the water... (speaking from experience : )

Comment

even though they are at different price points, they still compete in specs and performance somewhat. And even though the expobar is more expensive, I would still say it is better value than the Breville.

If you were buying a new station wagon, its still possible to compare the commodore at 35k or a passat at 50k, just all about value i reckon

Comment

[split] [link=http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1318935398/0#0][splithere][/link][splithere_end]
                    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

not to mention the expobar is one sexy looking machine compared to the breville!

Comment

Originally posted by 4B5551545D410F00380 link=1318246621/2#2 date=1318249568
                        I have been thinking very similar things,in the search of a new machine after running a cafes for 13 years and enjoyed coffee everyday at work , just when i finish(sold cafe) my EM6910 gives up(collar & steam gone!) I have been watching the threads on the BES900 a bit to see problems that are occurring in the first lot.I am feeling a bit torn between trying to get a great 2nd hand HX machine or go with unknown reliability of such a good sounding machine?   
                        actually the collar is not an expensive fix : the part is ~$50

Comment

Originally posted by 39293E2F2F293E3A39225B0 link=1318246621/11#11 date=1319435209
                          actually the collar is not an expensive fix : the part is ~$50
                          Hi brettly, i have been checking out how much and how to fix it myself,not sure if im upskilled enough yet, found out it is still under 5 year pump warranty so im gonna send it off to get that checked.If its not the pump its not covered so then i will take it to the garage and start learning ;D.I think Ive convinced the better half to get the BES900,there is a lot of electronics in them but they dont seem to be having to many major probs yet.

Comment

Smiley78 wrote:
                            I think Ive convinced the better half to get the BES900,there is a lot of electronics in them but they dont seem to be having to many major probs yet.

Hi Smiley78,
                            I just bought the Breveille BES900XL and it indeed performed very well to brew coffee. The only issue is the high OPV setting in many earlier manufactured units but it can be fixed quite easily either sending it to the service center or by the owner himself. The interior of the unit looks neat and well arranged. The PID control is very stable even after many shots continuously.

Regards,

Nick OY

Comment

I have the Breville DB and am very happy with it as it makes excelent coffee and does the milk nice and silky also, it suited my budget and for the amount of use (3 or 4 espressos and maybe 1 latte) I couldnt justify double the price for a machine. I would love to one day get a Giotto or VBM but at the moment its not possible so I hope the BDB will last the distance.

Comment

Working...
                              X