Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Expobar minore and descaling, problem????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expobar minore and descaling, problem????

Hi everyone,

I concerned about my expobar minore, i did some research and decided to descale my machine. I thought i read up on the right information and what to do. After descaling to what i had learnt and the directions it now has this awful metalic acidic taste which i dont seem to be able to flush out.. After reading on here and a few other places i see some say dont flush through the steam wand??

the water coming out of the hot water tap on the right seems ok, yet the water out of the head has a funny tatse as does the steam wand. how is this when the water for the head and the hot water come from the same boiler? I am hoping i have not damaged the machine and was wondering what i should do to get ride of that taste?? I have flushed the machine with water over and over again.....

if someone has some infomation on what i may have done and how i can go about fixing it, it would be greatly appricated

Chris

Re: Expobar minore and descaling, problem????

Yes Chris- you have a brew boiler full of descaler. Dual boiler machines are difficult to descale.

Best bet is to flush a heap of water through the group. Try perhaps 10 litres in the hope of diluting the descaler sufficiently so that you can use your machine.

Failing that, you can disassemble sufficiently to drain the brew boiler, then refill with fresh water before reassembly.

As always with descaling, you only do it if required

Good luck.

Chris

Comment

Thanks very much for your quick infomation on this, i will do what you have said in hope i dont need to dismantle to drain the boiler? If i do need to do that is it a easy process??

I have taken in your last comment most of all "As always with descaling, you only do it if required".....

Once again thank you

regards,

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris and Chris,
        Whats the easiest way to find out if your Expobar needs a descale? Ive heard of checking the mushroom? Ive had mine 2 years and havent descaled yet. Use water straight from the tap to fill the tank.
        Coffee tastes great but im worried of the evil that could be lurking in my boiler

Comment

Originally posted by 0C343D281E33255C0 link=1321299560/3#3 date=1321311153
          Hi Chris and Chris,
          Whats the easiest way to find out if your Expobar needs a descale? Ive heard of checking the mushroom? Ive had mine 2 years and havent descaled yet. Use water straight from the tap to fill the tank.
          Coffee tastes great but im worried of the evil that could be lurking in my boiler
          Go the mushroom PB,

Might be worth looking at some filtration. Prevention is way more desirable than cure- esprcially with dual boiler stuff

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 477F766355786E170 link=1321299560/3#3 date=1321311153
            Hi Chris and Chris,

I was told i need to descale often, yet i have also been told i dont need ot descale at all so i cant answer you. Im still trying to flush my machine out to get rid of this taste. I think it might be option B and drain the boiler. Can someone tell me how i should go about this? or should i take it to someone too look at?

Phatboy i hope you get a resolve with your 3 way valve. There is nothing worse than your one love not working properly...

Chris

Comment

Yep - check the mushroom as an indicator of whether you need to descale. I have a reminder to check mine every 6 months and if I look at the mushroom and it still seems pretty good, I set the reminder for another 3 months.

Flushing water through the dual boiler takes a while. I usually have the machine out of coffee making action for about 5 hours all up. All the while comparing this green tinged water coming out of my machine with clean water to see the progress.

I actually keep about 4 samples along the way just to remind myself that I AM making progress.

Brett.

Comment

i dont want to sound silly but when you imply about checking on the mushroom, what do you mean? please explain Im still cleaning out the machine with water, but im comparing the water from the group head and steam wand to that of the tap should i be doing this or is there a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by 49454C4C4F4F49425843592A0 link=1321299560/7#7 date=1321348223
                  i dont want to sound silly but when you imply about checking on the mushroom, what do you mean? please explain Im still cleaning out the machine with water, but im comparing the water from the group head and steam wand to that of the tap should i be doing this or is there a difference?
                  Here is a good page showing the mushroom
                  http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/the-mystery-of-the-e61-group-mushroom

As for the comparing of water, I look for the machine water to be close to the tap sample and when it is, I then go by taste. Not swallowing mouthfuls, just a dab on the tongue to see that there is no metallic or chemical taste left. Once happy, pull a shot and throw it down the sink and then pull another one to actually drink and see how it stacks up.

My understanding of the dual boilers is that brew water comes from one and steam/hot water comes from the other, so I would be drawing water through the hot water tap rather than the steam wand.
                  See:
                  http://expobaraustralia.com.au/index/modules/load/Catalogue/page/coffee_machines/category_id/7/menu/2/product_id/82

Comment

thanks for that info fatboy, it gives me a understanding of the process. So from what you were saying from youre understanding the water for the steam and the hot water come from the same boiler?
                    I must say im still not happy with the taste and i have flushed the machine so many times. Im thinking i should empty the boilers.

Comment

Yes - The water for steam and hot water come from the same boiler.

The process you followed with the descale soultion to begin with, will have put it into one or both of the boilers.

One other point. You have probably done this, but just in case... make sure you remove and clean your plastic water tank as well, as there may be descale residue in there as well. And that would impede your progress once into the flushing part of the process.

Comment

Where do you guys get your descale solution from?

Comment

I have used cafetto restore, which I got from Coffeeparts, and Cleancaf from Coffee-a-roma.

I have only used Cleancaf once so far. I grabbed it as I was in there buying ACF cups and needed some as my cafetto had run out.

Both products appeared to handle the job well, but I would lean towards cafetto as my choice moving forward.

Comment

Fatboy did you replace your little filter that sits in the water tank?

Comment

I have done so twice in my machines lifetime.

Comment

Working...
                              X