Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acidic extraction

Hi,
    Any ideas why shots pulled in my parents Bezzera domus are very acidic? when using the same beans in my brugnetti the shots have less acidity. So far I have done a thorough chemical flush, checked boiler for scales (was ok)

thanks

Re: Acidic extraction

acidic sour or acidic tangy?

if its the sour sort of acidic, then its a case of the beans arent quite ground right for your parents machine

if its the tangy sort, Well.. Possibly some difference in your machine process is dulling that? I dunno

Comment

Its a tangy acidic, I thought about the grind/grinder and cleaned the burs just in case and its still pouring fine

thanks for your thoughts

Comment

You may be underextracting, as in your shot is completing far too quickly... grind a bit finer, dose a bit more and lengthen the shot a bit... be careful though because if you drag it out too long you will end up with burnt, bitter, overextracted coffee in the cup

Aim for an extraction of approx 30 seconds, give or take a few

Good luck

Comment

oh... and I should have added... make sure the machine is running at the optimal temperature.... give it time to fully warm up before pulling a shot and if in doubt, check the temp of the water at the grouphead... a "workable" range would be somewhere in the range of 89-92 degrees. If the temp never gets above 89 the only coffee coming out of that machine will be acidic and tangy... at best

Comment

Try a little test have make a cup of extracted waster from the machine (no coffee) also a small amount from your tap. see if there is a difference in the taste.

From what you have written it sounds like there is still citric acid or what ever you used to flush your machine still in your machine.

Chris

Comment

I dont think citirc in the group is the issue because the following shots should have improved

I didnt think about the temperature tho which will be the next thing to check
              thanks for the assistance

Comment

i was told not to put a descaler through the machine, which i did. the reason why is it can stay inside the boiler. the best netualizer although it takes the longest time is water. I was getting shots and and also steam that altered the taste of the coffee. I worked this out by tasting the water by itself....

Comment

hmm, the machine was descaled a few months ago

Comment

Tested the group temp it may be running a little cool but I dont think my method for measuring the temp was very accurate with a milk thermometer 
                    Now for a slight adjustment

thanks everyone for the help

Comment

Working...
                    X