Bezzera BZ35e Project / Refurbish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bezzera BZ35e Project / Refurbish

I ended up getting my hands on a 2nd hand BZ35e machine which I posted earlier. I did know I was going to be in for a bit of a clean up and intended on pulling her right down and cleaning it from the inside out.

I ended up getting it sent down from Brisbane to Melbourne for $17 via e-go couriers as suggested by some fellow CSers and it got here in 1 piece which I was surprised as it was pretty poorly packaged. 32kg and the box dimensions were 45cm x 45 x 70 so I consider that a bargain!
    (Photos Below of poor packaging and box size)

Ive taken photos of absolutely everything Ive touched so far to make sure I have some reference for the build back up stage.

The story so far,

I was initially going to take it home and try it out for a few weeks and see how it went before I done this full clean out but thank god I didnt because upon removing the pipes to get to the boiler I found all the gunk and yucky stuff that you wouldnt want to be going into your cup in the morning! When I managed to get the whole boiler out I shook it around and I could hear stuff and gunk swirling around inside and when I poured it out I got a brownish coloured water which did not seem very safe at all!

I will be heading down to bunnings tomorrow to get some cleaning materials to continue but what do you guys recommend is best for the boiler and pipes to be immersed in? I saw Andys thread about hes Boema Resto and clean which he used CLR and Cleaning Vinegar. Are these recommended and also will they leave me with a acidic taste when its all put together because I want to make sure I do this right from the start!

All photos are below

Re: Bezzera BZ35e Project / Refurbish

The previous owner did test it for all functions and it did work because he sent me all the videos of it. But now Im worried that maybe some of this gunk and floatys may have been sucked up by the pump or its going to start clogging valves.

Comment

You will need some commercial descaler, I use Triple C from Bombora, (site sponsor).

Take particular note of that brass elbow that is still fitted in the heat exchanger section, it is the delivery line to the group head and has a very small orifice (glyculer??) in it that is a classic spot for scale to block up. Remove it and soak it separately. The other fitting in the Hex has a long plastic tube on it - its the delivery tube for water from the pump into the Hex - make sure you remove it and get that and the inside of the Hex really clean - thats the path of the water you drink in your coffee.

The boiler internals need a good descale too, but that water doesnt go to the group head or thru your coffee - its just for hot water, steam for the milk and heating for the Hex circuit.

The over pressure relief valve and anti-vacuum which is that big assembly on top of the boiler are sometimes problematic - but cheap to replace - and thats what i would do. (just keep the skirt that you have pulled off it.

The touch pads for the volumetric control are notorious for dying and on my last one I actually rewired it with a push on/off button to simplify it and save the expense of a new touch panel. See how you go, with a bit of luck yours is OK.

They are an awesome machine, I have just serviced and descaled my old one that i sold when I upgraded to the amazing Izzo Pompeii Lever - and after an overhaul I was pleasantly surprised at just how good a shot the old girl pours.

Comment

Im having a really hard time trying to get the heating element out. What I was doing was resting the boiler upright against my hip and having the grouphead block that is still attached to the top of the boiler against my hip then with my spanner trying to unscrew it but it is well and truly stuck no matter how much muscle I put into it. I then noticed that the corner of the grouphead block has started pressing into the boiler and has clearly dented it. Its still only minor but I have distorted it slightly which I wasnt happy about. I may have to try and freeze the area with a some freezing spray hopefully the temperature change will allow some give in the tension of the thread.

I hope to spend a few hours working on it tomorrow so I will definitely try and get some cleaning done. In regards to the cleaning process what I will do is clean and dip all the hoses and pipes into a bucket of CLR get everything clean and shiny then once it is all back together I will get that Triple C descaler and do a thorough descale to try and clear out any residue from the CLR. Or I might soak and clean with CLR then let it all sit in some Vinegar for a little bit blast all the residue out with some high pressure water and the start re-assembling.

I can see quite a bit of rust on the frame so I think Im tempted to get it re-powder coated

Besides a couple hiccups Im pretty excited about getting this thing going!

Ill continue taking more and more photos and keep everyone updated from start to finish 8-)

-Brendon

(Picture after my first few hours of work)

Comment

Just a question here, I put the boiler and all the brass hoses into a packet of ScaleKleen. I left it in this for approximately an hour or so and when I removed everything was a lovely bright pink colour and looked 100 times better then when I first looked at it. I then dried it all out and looked into the pipes and noticed there was still some residue and slight amounts of gunk in the fittings.

The boiler itself was still terrible inside and had a thick layer of black scale on the inner walls. It was flaking off if I touched it with a screwdriver or something long so I dont necessarily want to have this stuff so loose in the boiler and now I have no faith that the descale took much out of the pipes.

So what I have done is submerged them all back into the descale solution and Im going to leave them over night. Is there any harm in doing this? Or maybe I should try and get a stronger descaler?

What thought do you guys have?

-Brendon

(Photo below is a fuzzy shot of the internal scale that Im dealing with)

Comment

Hi,
            I did the same thing on BZ35 about a year ago, in almost the same condition that also came from country Qld.

If you have not got your heating element out yet, try 32mm socket and air gun - worked a treat on mine.

Heating up the descaling solution speeds things greatly, I had an immersion heater and the temperature was greater than 70 celcius. This still took two or three goes to remove all the black scale, similar to yours. When all of the scale is gone, the pink deposited stuff can be removed with a wire brush.

Keep up the good work it will be worth it in the end. I love your pictures pictures.

Zed

Comment

Hi Zed,

I managed to get it the heating element off yesterday. After an hour session in hot descale I got my 32mm spanner put it on, picked up the boiler and started tapping it against the bench graduly getting harder and harder the shocks must of broken the seal. I need to try and get a new gasket kit for it because they all disintegrated when I took them off.

I think Im definitely going to pull the frame apart and get it powdercoated. I have a sandblaster at work so Ill get it down to bare metal and let them just powdercoat it. Hopefully it wont cost more then $50 or so. Great little project so far Im actually enjoying it. Im considering insulating the boiler while I have it all apart, Ill start reading into the best options for that.

Ill take some photos of all the stuff out of the overnight descale tub tonight

-Brendon

Comment

So I took all the stuff out of the over night descale. Photos below of the results after a quick dry.

The boiler still has scale inside >
                The Heat Exchanger still has signs of scale which is baked on pretty solidly.
                The Heating Element is still showing signs of scale.

Ill be sand blasting the frame hopefully tomorrow preparing it for a fresh powdercoating and Ive ordered more descale to take care of the left over scale in the boiler. Im going to make sure my Karcher is available so after another overnight descale session if there is any remaining Ill blast it all off hopefully! I know it will be a huge mess but its just not coming off.

-Brendon

Comment

Hi, Brendon,
                  You probably already know that you can get most of the parts from coffeeparts.com.au or Barazi Bezzera in Qld. Both are sponsors.

There is a lot of good rebuilding information and tips on orphan espresso Website
                  lhttp://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-VID..._ep_564-1.html

When I was rebuilding mine I did not know about orphan expresso website, and I think it wouldve helped.

Zed

Comment

Next stage for today was to sand back and sand blast the frame to get ready for a fresh powdercoating during the week.

Thanks for the advice Zed there is plenty on that OE website!

(Before and After photos)

Comment

I just got the frame powder coated in gloss black today and I also dropped off all the shiny metal finished panels (Cup tray, Grouphead panel, drip tray) to a local electroplating place who will be giving everything a professional polish and buff and he has assured me that he will get it to almost brand new finish which I am hoping I will get anything thats better than the condition it was in. He is also going to be chrome dipping my steam wand and hot water arm, hes also going to re-chrome my group handles because the chrome was cracked and peeling where it locks into the group head. I forgot to take a photo of the handles but Ill post a photo of the finished product on Monday.

Pricing so far:

$70 worth of new seals and gaskets kit. This includes the Heat Exchager, Element, Boiler seals, Group seals + shims etc...

$50 Gloss Powder Coating + Sandblasting

$100 Polishing and Chrome Plating

So for $150 Im going to have a brand spanking new "looking" machine sitting on my bench

This clearly wasnt needed but I thought while its all in pieces I may as well get it done. Im also going to get the casing spray painted but Im lucky as I work in the Bus industry and have a readily available paint workshop who is happy to do small favors for free 8-) even if you were going to get this done for a price if you were to prepare and sand back the case Im sure you could get it done for $50 cash at a local spray shop.

In regards to the scale in the boiler it has been sitting at work in the corner since last weeks overnight descale session and I picked it up today and the scale has dried right out and flakes off to the touch! So what Im doing tonight is giving it a very watered down solution of Citric Acid and Water then in the morning I will get the Karcher out and blast it all out of the boiler with some high pressured water. Then next week is reassembly time!!!!!!!! Cant wait

Below is photos of the before and after frame gloss powder coating. Also a photo of the steel fascia panels before I dropped them off to the electroplating place.

Comment

Ok Ive done possibly my last session of descaling.

I still have a tiny little patch of scale in the boiler that just will not come off! It has withstood 3 overnight descale sessions and I tried scraping it off with a screwdriver and I still couldnt get it out. I was wondering if I give it 1 more session of descaling solution tonight and it doesnt come off will it give me issues down the track or is it dangerous to be drinking? Its really frustrating! Not even my Karcher high pressure water hose could get it off!

Would I be silly to start assembling or should I continue on descaling?

Photo below of small scale section.

-Brendon

Comment

Thanks for sharing this Brendogs - Im enjoying the progress youre making. Well done!

Comment

I finally got that section of scale out of the boiler today. I purchased 3 of the 75g citric acid canisters from Coles and put it in boiling water and let it sit for an hour and it was all gone!

Tomorrow I will start to put it back together and continue on with the photos, I also havent received my shiny bits from the electroplating workshop yet > Ill be waiting by the phone tomorrow to pick it all up.

Ive also sorted out to get the casing sprayed a dark maroon colour from the paintshop at work

Im really considering insulating the boiler but I have looked at other threads and I dont think I have enough room to use the thick foam insulation they have been using! Im really spewing because I can get the insulation for free from work which is the 4 layer heat and noise insulating panels, its Foil, foam, tar/rubber, foam. Its about 15mm or so thick and looking back at my photos I think its almost impossible to achieve this. >

Any ideas?

-Brendon

Comment

Not sure why you would want to insulate the boiler, there is no need. You have got yourself a professionally designed and constucted, commercial, single group espresso machine - you dont need to modify it!

Put it back together and enjoy it!

Comment

Working...
                              X