Calling all BFC/Diadema owners - Past, Present and Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all BFC/Diadema owners - Past, Present and Future

We dont seem to have too many clubs here (of brands or specific machines), but I thought Id give this a go anyway.

My modest aim is just to share my Diadema story.
    My ambitious aim is for this thread to be a place to hear the stories of Diadema owners: past, present and future.
    It could also be a place where prospective buyers of Diadema machines can come to ask questions (I know I had heaps and had a fairly difficult time tracking down some info, like what the water tank looks like and the opening for fill).

I thought that these stories could include some of or all (or more than) the following:
    • What were your previous espresso machines before getting your Diadema?
    • What made you decide to get a Diadema? Why did you choose this over the alternatives?
    • What are the things youve loved?
    • What are the things youve disliked?
    • What have you moved on to (if you have) and what were your reasons for doing so?

My story:
    I am a few days away from receiving my first Diadema espresso machine (Junior Semi Auto [DJSA] - plastic switch version) and my first foray into the pointy end and Hx world. I cant wait! Im more than ready to leave the single boiler club.

Previous machines?
    Gaggia Carezza, Rancilio Silvia V2, Isomac Zaffiro (soon to be for sale)

Why choose?
    Strangely, I have actually never seen a Diadema in the flesh. Ive had a good play with Expobar Minore, Giotto Premium, Bezerra Galatea, VBM Super, but never the Diadema. But for some reason, Ive always had a strange affinity to the Diadema. The Unico Splendor especially really grabs me! In the past few weeks, Ive been tossing up between the VBM Junior and the DJSA)

In the end it came down to a combination of these factors: [list bull-blackcheck][*]pretty much all the reputable Hx machines in this price range do the job and do it well;[*]Atillios (Fresh_Coffee of Cosmorex) constant championing of Diadema really impressed me; [*]I like the more industrial look and the built like a tank reputation it has;[*]the water tank is 3L (bigger than most of the competition in the price range) - lower freq need to fill up; [*]it seems less common (my perception anyway);[*]and the price was right! (budget is very tight and the DJSA came up to a few hundred $ cheaper - thanks to Chris @ Talk Coffee)[/list]
    Nothing yet for me to love or hate as I havent used it yet, but Ill fill that in after a bit of use. And I dont intend on moving on for a good long while! (famous last words, I know :P)

Sorry for the long post! I havent been posting for a long long time and Im making up for lost time!

Im hoping that this thread does get off the ground! If you are a past, present or prospective owner of a Diadema, Id love to hear from you!

Ben

Re: Calling all BFC/Diadema owners - Past, Present and Future

Hello Ben.

Ive had a succession of BFC / Diadema models at home over a period of years.

Currently have the 2 litre HX Junior EXTRA and Macap MXA grinder. A great combination.

At work as my dedicated cupping machine I use the Junior EXTRA Dual Boiler PID model and a Macap grinder. Another excellent combination that contributes to all my roasting technology.

Heres a piccie of the home set up.

Enjoy your new toy!

Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor.

Comment

Hi Ben,

I recently purchased the Diadema Junior (toggle switch model). I upgraded from a Sunbeam EM6910.
      Unfortunately the heating element died during transit so as yet I havent been able to use it. She is sitting on my kitchen bench taunting me all day.
      The new element arrived today so this arvo I will have a crack at installing it. Any tips for me in installing the new elemenmt?
      She is an amazing looking machine. I am sure we will have a long and beautiful relationship.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by 3E282B293E28283437342D3E295B0 link=1340452495/2#2 date=1340586972
        Hi Ben,

I recently purchased the Diadema Junior (toggle switch model). I upgraded from a Sunbeam EM6910.
        Unfortunately the heating element died during transit so as yet I havent been able to use it. She is sitting on my kitchen bench taunting me all day.
        The new element arrived today so this arvo I will have a crack at installing it. Any tips for me in installing the new elemenmt?
        She is an amazing looking machine. I am sure we will have a long and beautiful relationship.

Nick
        Wow Nick,

Thats a first....

Was the machine bench tested by your salesperson? Id think its more likely that the machine was dead when it arrived at the selling outlet than it died in transit.

As the machine is under warranty, you shouldnt be fitting an element yourself.

Good luck.

Chris

Comment

Oops Chris, you just mentioned the magic word....."warranty" ! Will that be an actual or a statutory one, or perhaps a "consumer guarantee" ? ;D

Yes if its a new machine it needs to be referred back through your retailer and let them make the call as to the appropriate action.

All the best, and enjoy your new machine
          A.

Comment

Originally posted by 5A6E796F74435F737A7A79791C0 link=1340452495/4#4 date=1340588981
            Oops Chris, you just mentioned the magic word....."warranty" ! Will that be an actual or a statutory one, or perhaps a "consumer guarantee" ?
            It will involve a litre of blood, the sale of your daughter to the devil and the left component of your anatomy Attilio.

You will then lose in court- the penalty being your house, wife and business and 10 years hard labour in Siberia. Its only fair that the purchaser receive reasonable compensation.  ;D

Comment

This machine was bought secind hand. I do believe the seller when he told me that it worked fine when he shipped it..?
              Will put it in this arvo and fill u in.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by 776162607761617D7E7D647760120 link=1340452495/2#2 date=1340586972
                Any tips for me in installing the new elemenmt?
                Nick
                Hi Nick. Sorry to hear about your DOA machine. And sorry, I have no tips for you - I havent even received my machine yet and it doesnt sound like something Id risk doing myself! I hope it goes well for you.

By the way, why are you having to do it yourself? Shouldnt your retailer be responsible for sorting this out for you?

And if youre wondering what the banter between Chris and Attilio is all about, theres been a hot thread about the issue of warranties in this forum... but it could be something else entirely!

Comment

Originally posted by 283E3D3F283E3E2221223B283F4D0 link=1340452495/6#6 date=1340593638
                  This machine was bought secind hand.
                  Oops! Sorry, I must have posted at the same time as you!

Just for interest, did the seller buy you the replacement element? (Feel free to decline answering if not appropriate to do so)

Id love to hear how you go. And take some photos  to show and tell if you are that way inclined! Itll add the greatly to the content of this thread Im sure!

Comment

There is no warranty unfortunately..Also, I live 9 hours away from where I bought it, so I think I will just do it myself..
                    I am just hoping that the problem is only the element!!

Nick

Comment

Whats the best way to drain the boiler?

Comment

The seller did pay for 75% of the cost of the repacement element.
                        I will post some pics asap..

Comment

Hi Ben,

I have a Diadema Reale (Regal), which is a similar piece of kit to the Diadema Junior. I have this paired with a Compak K3 touch. Both machines were purchased from Cosmorex about 8 months ago, and I couldnt be happier. I had one minor glitch with the on switch, which was rectified pronto by the people out at Cosmorex (and, yes...all under manufacturers warranty via the retailer who is an approved service agent).

I had previously used a range of cheap semi-autos (an old Krups etc), a Saeco full auto and every conceivable type of manual brewing device (Moka Pot / percolator / plunger / pourover / that powdered rubbish the army made me drink). My Saeco was on its last legs and I decided that I wanted to re-enter the world of doing things properly. I initially had planned to pair either a Silivia or Lelit with the K3, but I didnt take a lot of convincing to work out that I was going to be happier in the long run with the Diadema. Looks great too (its got a bit of an art deco look to it).
                          Cheers
                          BOSW

Comment

Originally posted by 415754564157574B484B524156240 link=1340452495/11#11 date=1340594522
                            The seller did pay for 75% of the cost of the repacement element.
                            I will post some pics asap..
                            Youre joking. If this is one of the machines Attilio imported, I dont think hell be too impressed to read this.

[edit]....on further reading[/edit]

Originally posted by 786E6D6F786E6E7271726B786F1D0 link=1340452495/9#9 date=1340594002
                            There is no warranty unfortunately..Also, I live 9 hours away from where I bought it, so I think I will just do it myself..
                            Ahh- 2nd hand then.... That makes more sense.

Comment

My story.

I am the extremely happy owner of a Unico Splendor. I bought this machine brand new. My machine before that was a Saeco full automatic that didnt even see 18 months.  > (and at the hefty price tag of $1500!!)
                              After a long and serious talk with a very good friend of mine, he suggested that I buy a HX. Because I wanted to steam and pour at the same time, he said it was the only way to go.
                              The things I love about this machine. Its simplicity. This machine does everything I want it to do, and in the nearly 5 years of owning it, I have had a couple of requirements done to it, and it still makes some of the best coffees and textures milk beautifully.

The only dislike I have with this machine is that when I use mugs for coffees (my husband dislikes small cups, when he wants a coffee it has to be in a BIG cup) I need to remove the bottom drip guard to sit the cup under the spout of the group handle, but this is a minor issue.

I still have this machine, and she works just as good as when I first bought it.   

-Linda

Comment

Working...
                              X