Calling all BFC/Diadema owners - Past, Present and Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jackster View Post
    Im not sure if your pressurestat directly controls the element, or if the pressurestat tells the gicar to control the element. Either way, a SSR will save the controlling components.
    I'm not sure to be honest I suspect it tells the Gicar box to switch the element. Probably a non issue for me as I won't be keeping this machine or it's twin once fixed they will go to new homes I'll keep the Isomac I like the way it looks better. That being said I don't mind sticking with the stock electrical gear my limits when it comes to mains power is unplugging and plugging in components and testing things with a multimeter.

Comment

• Hey guys

I have an opportunity to buy a used Unico Splendor (2005) for what I think is a good price and was hoping someone could give me an idea of servicing/repair costs for these machines? I feel like the parts are quite difficult to source? Would be great to get some opinions from everyone.

Coming from an NS Oscar I so would also be good to see if this is actually a worthwhile upgrade.

Comment

• Originally posted by ultralightmeme View Post
        Hey guys

I have an opportunity to buy a used Unico Splendor (2005) for what I think is a good price and was hoping someone could give me an idea of servicing/repair costs for these machines? I feel like the parts are quite difficult to source? Would be great to get some opinions from everyone.

Coming from an NS Oscar I so would also be good to see if this is actually a worthwhile upgrade.
        Where are you located?

Comment

• I had mine serviced a few weeks back and it cost me $330, it did need a few bits and pieces, at Complete Cafe in SA.

Considering it should have been done a while back I was pleasantly surprised thinking it would be more.

Edited to say I will post a pic of invoice later so you can see what was done.
          Last edited by IrisGanache; 4th October 2019, 11:20 AM. Reason: Additional info.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrisGanache View Post
            I had mine serviced a few weeks back and it cost me $330, it did need a few bits and pieces, at Complete Cafe in SA.

Considering it should have been done a while back I was pleasantly surprised thinking it would be more.
            Morning Iris, Ive had my machine repaired/serviced by Complete a couple of times now, good people to deal with.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yelta View Post
              Morning Iris, Ive had my machine repaired/serviced by Complete a couple of times now, good people to deal with.
              Morning Yelta.

I was tossing up whether to go to Patio or Complete Cafe. I remember a few years back you said you went to CC so just went with them.

I can't work put how to post a pic so will have to type it out.........

Service/repair
              Replaced old style pressurestat (boiler temp erratic)
              Removed head stem assembly-clean and descale
              Descale jet and mesh filter
              Clean and lubricate lever arm
              Replace worn middle e61 stem
              Replace o ring seal to steam wand
              Check both taps and wands
              Replace green indicator light (supplied)
              Replace cup seal and shower screen
              Service vac valve and clean both level probes
              Drain and flush boiler
              Check pump and boiler pressure -ok
              Check all ops-ok

Comment

• Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                Second this! Really nice blokes.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrisGanache View Post
                  I can't work put how to post a pic so will have to type it out.........
                  Check out this thread...
                  https://coffeesnobs.com.au/off-topic...e-posting.html

Mal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                    Thanks Mal.

Will do

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
                      Where are you located?
                      In Sydney!

Comment

• SSR wired in, and working again.
                        Cleaning the points on the sub-board relay didn't work for long at all.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	15702362381632133766768761566696.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	750730

Will get it screwed down after a week or so of testing.
                        Woohoo!

Comment

• Old relay board. You can see the points side is blackened inside and the top has started to degrade. Very timely upgrade

Name:	15702364028568069818595215338433.jpg
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	750731

Comment

• Here is my setup:

Diadema (BFC) Junior Elite HX machine and a Compak K3 Touch grinder.

The Junior Elite is about two years old and was an upgrade from a Rancilio Silvia, which I had for about 4-5yrs. The K3 is the only decent grinder I've ever had and has been going about 6-7 years now.

Servicing / Maintenance question: I bought the Junior Elite from CosmoreX up here in Canberra. They advise that the macine is not really user descalable and that other than backflushing with a cleaner and maintaining the in tank water softener, it should be taken in for a service every 12 - 24 mths (depending on use). That will cost an average of $250 - $350, plus another $200 - $300 if the boiler needs a full descale. Mine is now due for service, fingers crossed it isn't $650 including full descale! Does this sound right though?

There are other discussions above regarding user descaling. I've also found this clip describing how to descale HX machines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEGfyJkWSqU I think I'll drop the machine into CosmoreX this time, as I believe descaling if it is long overdue can cause scale chunks to do other damage, but should I be descaling in the future? (Particularly post warranty period)?
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Mas_cafe; 3rd January 2020, 01:28 PM. Reason: add detail

Comment

• I never got round to posting completed photos of this machine. It came out fantasitic and worked like brand new again it did spend a bit more then a month at work brewing up better coffee then any Café in Beaudesert the crew at work were disappointed when it went off to a new home I still have one more sitting there waiting to be be given a new lease on life as well and some others, By the looks of things we'll all have a bit of spare time shortly.

Anyway here was the finished machine

Name:	IMG_20191222_110603.jpg
Size:	332.9 KB
ID:	753330Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191222_131945.jpg
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	753331Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191222_131956.jpg