Calling all BFC/Diadema owners - Past, Present and Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all, first post!

I have the Unico Splendor, upgrade from a Sunbeam entry level.

I was hoping for the group's guidance - The Splendor was working perfectly until recently - Now tripping the house power circuit when switched on.

Wondering if there is a circuit fuse I should be checking before calling a technician to fix?

I am also asking as I don't want to have to pay for a whole control board replacement if it's possibly a $2 fix.

Many thanks

Matt

PS on a different note has anyone heard of anyone adding a PID controller to the Splendor?

Comment

• I will cover your main question as you have a few in there.
      Most likely your heating element is faulty and needs replacement along with a new element seal.

You can test your element resistance with a multimeter should be 30-50 ohms (power off obviously). Another test you can do is to remove the heating element connectors to remove it from the power (tape up with electrical tape to avoid shorts) and test your machine. If all other functions work like pump, auto fill then it is most likely a faulty heating element.

Cost of parts circa $100 and you will need a 28 or 30 mm socket to remove the heating element easily.

Comment

• They also shipped with an element relay on pressurestat which just loves to go pop but you wouldn't trip safety on that fault. Ben's on the money for your symptoms.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrmdschultz View Post
          PS on a different note has anyone heard of anyone adding a PID controller to the Splendor?
          Not the Splendor in particular but plenty of people have done it to other small HX machines. There's no room in the Splendor case for a PID and an SSR to be securely fitted either. You could cram them in but it probably wouldn't look much good and the SSR wouldn't be heatsinked properly.

In my opinion it's a largely useless modification as well on this type of machine. A good pressurestat with a 0.2 bar deadband or better and a properly tuned thermosyphon circuit will be as accurate as you would ever need. I recently finished tuning my own Splendor and have a boiler pressure of 1.375-1.5 bar and a group temp of 94C with no cooling flush ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by Caffeinator View Post
            They also shipped with an element relay on pressurestat which just loves to go pop but you wouldn't trip safety on that fault. Ben's on the money for your symptoms.
            Yep, I had issues with similar board in my junior extra. Replaced with a SSR. Plenty of room in the extra

Comment

• Just a small note I have one of these apart on my bench that I'm rebuilding the element nut is more around the 36-37mm mark I took the boiler to work and used one of our mechanics impact gun I don't remember the socket size I just put a ruler across it just now to get that size. It might be possible to remove through the bottom inspecting cover but you will need an impact gun as the only thing that holds the boiler in place is copper pipes and if you try to move it with a breaker bar or something you will twist all the pipes.

Comment

• I removed boiler and held nut with the vice and turned the boiler. I figured it was safer than bending pipes or trying to hang onto boiler in-situ

Comment

Working...
                X