Calling all BFC/Diadema owners - Past, Present and Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Calling all BFC/Diadema owners - Past, Present and Future

So it was when I tried to install the new element that I realised that I had been sent on with the wrong connectors!! AAAAHHHHH. And also, to make matters worse, I dis-connected the element, turned the machine on and the power in the house went off! Obviously the issue is not the element. So I decided to take the machine to the local doctor. Finger crossed that it is only a loose wire or a busted switch. Anything more and I think I will seek a refund.....

Nick

Comment

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your "new" second hand purchase.

Its impossible to help make diagnoses without having the equipment in front of you,  but when a machine ( any machine) is shorting out the most common cause is the element, closely followed by a group solenoid (electro) valve. There could also be a dickey" toggle switch.......

And ofcourse, elements, electrovalves & toggle switches dont generally fail during transport.......

I would have someone with requisite expertise check that stuff first and hopefully its an easy fix and you can enjoy your new toy very very soon.....

Hope that helps,
      Attilio
      very first CS site sponsor.

Comment

Originally posted by 053126302B1C002C25252626430 link=1340452495/1#1 date=1340538038
        Heres a piccie of the home set up.
        Great setup you got there Attilio! Nice little space for it too =) Ill be sure to post up some piccies when my machine arrives and in place.

Originally posted by 393F233D38273B3A540 link=1340452495/12#12 date=1340598983
        Looks great too (its got a bit of an art deco look to it).
        The Regal/Reale does look a beauty! Good to hear youre being looked after well by Cosmorex. Its nice to have the assurance of good after sales support.

Originally posted by 0A262424263418242F2E242C26470 link=1340452495/14#14 date=1340602014
        My story.
        Thanks for sharing your story Linda! 5 years already and hopefully many more to come! The Unico Splendor is a little beauty isnt she?

Originally posted by 22343735223434282B28312235470 link=1340452495/15#15 date=1340677719
        Finger crossed that it is only a loose wire or a busted switch.
        Sorry to hear that it hasnt been sorted yet. And will keep fingers crossed with you that itll all work out simply and soon.

Comment

The saga continues......

It turns out that I was sent the wrong element all together..So I have to send the one they sent me back, wait for them to get the one I actually need in stock, and then wait for it to arrive here!!
          Tear.......I just want a brew.

Comment

Im sorry to hear that and I know how frustrating it is to have to wait to get your machine going, before enjoying any coffee.

Have checked with my spare parts team and they say we havent had an order for a single element for a Junior this week, and the problem you are experiencing could be due to people sourcing non genuine parts from other suppliers......where you run the gauntlet of receiving something that "looks like" it should be interchangeable, but may not be....

If we can help, our contact details should be at left of the page in the list of sponsors.

Comment

I recently came across an old, unloved BFC/Diadema and am in the process of breathing new life into it. a couple of questions for experienced owners:

1) upon startup, do you normally have to purge false pressure from the steam wand, or does it just heat up "normally"? pretty sure my anti-vac valve is cactus

2) any recommendations for boiler pressure setting? my steam seems a bit wet and theres a fairly fast drop off of pressure - peak seems to be close to 1.5, but as soon as the steam wand is open its down to about 1 where it stays steady pretty much indefinitely.

3) im keen to check my group pressure, but i dont have a portafilter with a pressure gauge so i was going to insert a blind filter and measure the recirc flow - anybody got any flow rate numbers corresponding to pressures?

Im also looking for a good source for spares beyond what coffeeparts offers - i need an anti-vac valve, a steam arm gasket, water reservoir plug, new silicon tubing and a few other bits and bobs. any recommendations as to which of the site sponsors are well stocked, cheap and easy to deal with?

Comment

Originally posted by 616576687D5B696B766A6D6A635B040 link=1340452495/20#20 date=1340940443
                I recently came across an old, unloved BFC/Diadema and am in the process of breathing new life into it. a couple of questions for experienced owners:

1) upon startup, do you normally have to purge false pressure from the steam wand, or does it just heat up "normally"? pretty sure my anti-vac valve is cactus

2) any recommendations for boiler pressure setting? my steam seems a bit wet and theres a fairly fast drop off of pressure - peak seems to be close to 1.5, but as soon as the steam wand is open its down to about 1 where it stays steady pretty much indefinitely.

3) im keen to check my group pressure, but i dont have a portafilter with a pressure gauge so i was going to insert a blind filter and measure the recirc flow - anybody got any flow rate numbers corresponding to pressures?

Im also looking for a good source for spares beyond what coffeeparts offers - i need an anti-vac valve, a steam arm gasket, water reservoir plug, new silicon tubing and a few other bits and bobs. any recommendations as to which of the site sponsors are well stocked, cheap and easy to deal with?
                Hello em,

These are routine service irems that your local blokel should be able to resolve really quickly and with minimal expense. A good tech will also be able to set group pressure correctly.

Perhaps its time to spend just a little of the $$$ you saved? :-?

Enjoy...

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 7B7F6C72674173716C70777079411E0 link=1340452495/20#20 date=1340940443
                  I recently came across an old, unloved BFC/Diadema.....

1) If anti vac valve is "cactus" (usually stuck closed) then upon cold start up you will have to open the steam valve and leave it open until the machine has built up enough steam to leak continually out of the steam pipe, then you can close it and there wont be any "false pressure".

2) "Wet steam" needs to be investigated by a service tech. 1.5 bars is generally accepted to be too high. It boosts steam pressure for old style milk bar "frothatisti", but heats the water in the heat exchangers to better burn your coffee requiring judicious operator management during coffee making.

1.1 bars is where the max cut off would have been set in the factory for best effect, and these machines have plenty of steam so it would seem rather misguided for someone to jack up to 1.5 bars.

However if steam is considered "wet" despite higher than normal boiler pressure, any lowering of pressure should be accompanied (as stated already) by a visit to a pro tech. in case something else needs adjusting.

3) We dont bother with "recirculating flow rates" because we use group handle pressure gauges to do this stuff  !

Re your comment "...which of the site sponsors are well stocked, cheap and easy to deal with...."

You cant have it both ways my friend. Anyone that is well stocked and is easy to deal with doesnt need to be cheap at the expense of the service they are offering and the level of investment they have in their business to be able to provide this service

My bill for professional technical advice is in the mail 

And now, back to work I go.

BBP  ;D

Comment

Fresh_Coffee: thank you for an especially thorough answer, very, very much appreciated. can i buy spares directly through you? if so, can you send me a contact number/email address?

Thanks

Comment

Hello there and thank you.

All there:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163932646

Comment

so i found some spare time on the weekend to open my machine up and have a poke around.

per my questions above:

1) the anti-vac valve was fouled and stuck in the closed position. I removed it, cleaned it, restored it and its working perfectly now.

2) i reduced the pressurestat down to 1.2bar which seems to have reduced the need for an extended cooling flush (based on seat-of-the-pants/cup testing, didnt bother to get the thermocouple out). I also checked out the level sensors - both were fully inserted. I removed them, cleaned a small amount of scale from them and re-installed them. i then raised them together in half-inch increments, left the machine to settle each time and stretched a few jugs of milk at each point. I found a good spot somewhere maybe an inch above the absolute lowest settings where the steam quality and quantity was good.

I think theres probably more scope to improve this once i bother getting the thermocouple out to balance steam volume with stored thermal energy - a problem for another weekend when i have more time to play.

3) I didnt get a chance to play around with this parameter, though i think for the time being i will just check my re-circ flow rate against the pump flow rate with a blind filter in place. with another dinosaur machine sitting in my garage waiting for some attention, maybe its time to track down a 58mm portafilter with a pressure gauge and thermocouple or maybe just make one myself...

Comment

Finally got a chance to take some photos of the machine and my setup.

Full gallery here: http://benandfaith.smugmug.com/All-Things-Coffee/Diadema-Junior-Semi-Auto/First-Shots/23961992_P8hzJb

Comment

nice shots, looks awesome. I think im going to have to steal that 3m hooks + bulldog clips idea to recover some space on my benchtop...

is that a little SS scottie-dog or something in the 2nd last shot?

Comment

Thanks early_morning_!

Please steal away! Im not sure if it has been don before, but after being busted yet again by the missus for having bags of coffee all over her benchtop I decided to get my thinking ht on and came up with this.

The SS Scottie Dog is straight out of Monopoly! Scottie has been keeping me company for the past 1.5 years. Perhaps Scottie will help me emulate Scottie Callaghan more and more!

Comment

love it - and the scottie dog; ill have to dig out my monopoly set to see what gems lie in there.

where did you get that stainless steel hopper thing?
                                It looks a lot better than my upside down 2L milk container which im currently using for my mini.

Comment

Working...
                                X