Calling all BFC/Diadema owners - Past, Present and Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
    Fredhoon - interested to read your comments. I have had a Perfetta for several years and it has always 'run hot'.
    The machine is ready to pull shots 10 mins after switch on - 20 mins and it is too hot and is spluttering and hissing.
    That sounds a lot hotter than my machine. On it's coldest thermostat setting my Perfetta Group reads around 102-105 +/- 1degC over a 30sec shot (I don't see splutter until 115+ degC). One thing I have noted is the temp probe sits loosely in the boiler thermowell, I'm considering sticking some thermal grease into the well / around the probe to give it a slightly better conductivity and hopefully response.

As an aside, the thermostat would be very simple to swap out yourself if you ordered a replacement. It's only 2x spade connectors and the temp probe associated with the unit. For the comparatively small additional cost (and because I love to tinker) I'll be replacing my thermostat with a PID controller in the coming months.

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
    The temp issues aside, I have always been very happy with the machine as it is capable of very good shots, once you get used to the fact that it is very dose & tamp sensitive.
    I don't regret buying this model but temperature control will be a priority for my next machine, whatever that may be.
    Agreed, I have also noted the sensitivity to dose and tamp (just put it down to my poor technique). When I do manage to get it right I am very happy with the results in the cup!

Comment

Hi Fred, yes, my games with the laser thermometer all produced readings of 105+
      I found it impossible to get an acceptable adjustment on the thermostat as 9/10 of the range of adjustment of the screw seemed to be in the 105+ area and I'd have needed the hands of a micro surgeon to manipulate the tiny adjustment necessary to get the ideal temp. I gave up on it after several attempts as I could get it to heat up more slowly but it would still get progressively hotter over time until it was clearly too hot.
      It didn't seem to be able to 'heat up to the ideal temp and stay there'.
      I would be interested in how you go with the PID, as better temp control would make this the ideal machine for my needs.
      I would just need to find a local to fit it however as I have no handyman genes.

Comment

Originally posted by DesigningByCoffee View Post
        Thanks for the input fellas
        I had ordered some parts from Pedro originally, but panicked when I saw the square nuts were the wrong thread and thought the rubber washers would all be wrong too. Anyhow, stripped down the group again last night, and all the rubber washers do fit, so I replaced them all, which seems to have solved the issue in hand. Machine now warms up properly again with no apparent airlock. Also, I had started to notice in the last couple of weeks a slight 'hiss' when back flushing other than the water dump - think it was pressure leak back into the boiler, but these new washers seem to have solved that issue too.

While it was in bits, I measured up the square nuts with verniers, so will chase those up with Pedro, as they are both pretty worn…

But at least we have properly extracted espresso again!

Cheers Matt
        Problem solved
        Pedro was able to track down the required part. Here was the culprit for the slight pressure dump back into the boiler… like a new machine today!

Thanks for your advice everyone
        Cheers Matt

Click image for larger version

Name:	DBC-Square-Pin_FMD5125.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	737259

Comment

I have had my unico splendor for a week now. After a bit of trial and error with the grind I am extremely happy with the shots I am getting. Previous machine was a breville 800es so the splendor is another world.

Comment

Welcome to CS and to the world of the BFC Unico Splendor.

I also have one at home and love it Great machine.

Comment

Welcome caffeine
              (how'd you score that name! Thought it would have gone decades ago!)

Lovely machine. I was 95% set on a Splendor - then the Reale appeared and deflected me - must be an early adopter!
              You enjoy it
              Cheers Matt

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine View Post
                I have had my unico splendor for a week now. After a bit of trial and error with the grind I am extremely happy with the shots I am getting. Previous machine was a breville 800es so the splendor is another world.
                Splendid! And welcome to CS!

Comment

Hi Guys..havent posted in years but thought I should.
                  Bought a Diadema Regal and Mini Mazza five years ago from one of these great sponsors. This machine makes great shots all the time.
                  Last year the machine short circuited and there was sparks and fire emanating from the on switch on the machine. This caused to black out my whole house.
                  Anyway got the machine fixed, with the main problem being the board.
                  I drink three shots a day, so when I got up this morning and turned on my machine, it would not heat up, the lights are on but no ones home.
                  Any ideas?

Comment

Hi Zoro
                    Sorry to hear about your earlier incident.
                    I've also got a Regal. Haven't had a switch fire (fortunately!) but have had a similar issue recently to your latest. My machine was about 5 years old too BTW…

Just a question - when you switch it on, does the green light flicker on instantly but straight off again? This is what mine did, and turned out to be a relay that switches the element had blown, meaning the element wouldn't come on and heat…

Let us know
                    Matt

Comment

• It will most likely be one of element relay, element or thermal cutout. Best refer this issue to a qualified technician.

Comment

• Thanks for the welcome people. Loving the machine and what I can get out of it. Practice, practice, practice

Comment

• Originally posted by DesigningByCoffee View Post
                          Hi Zoro
                          Sorry to hear about your earlier incident.
                          I've also got a Regal. Haven't had a switch fire (fortunately!) but have had a similar issue recently to your latest. My machine was about 5 years old too BTW…

Just a question - when you switch it on, does the green light flicker on instantly but straight off again? This is what mine did, and turned out to be a relay that switches the element had blown, meaning the element wouldn't come on and heat…

Let us know
                          Matt
                          Hey Matt thanks for replying.
                          When I had the fire/sparks last year the green light did flicker .
                          But yesterday there was no flicker, the orange light just stays on ( green light always off) but the machine does not heat up.
                          Any way am taking machine for repairs later this week, hope the damage isn't too serious.
                          Last edited by zoro; 3rd June 2014, 10:04 PM.

Comment

• Hi Zoro
                            Sounds like the best option
                            If there is no green light at all, could be an element, relay or board - just hope it's an easy fix!
                            Matt

Comment

• This is a "follow-up" to my earlier comments about temperature adjustment problems and a possibly 'dead' thermostat.
                              After a little bit of confusion as to where to get the new thermostat, I was able to get one from Jetblack Espresso.
                              It was identical to the OE one, with the exception that the adjustment screw turns through 270 degrees whereas the OE one does only about 95 degrees.
                              I did several 'trial & error' sessions over most of a day and eventually settled on an adjustment that gave me approx 90 - 94 degrees on the Meat Thermometer and looked right in terms of the amount of heat/lack of steam & spluttering it was giving off.
                              I have done several lots of coffee at this setting and they were good which suggests adjustment seems to be pretty spot-on.
                              Steaming works the way it should and the machine seems to get to it's temp and hold it without getting hotter and hotter.
                              With a bit of luck it's problem solved. We will see.

Comment

• I've just picked up a Diadema Junior with toggle switches last week from Cosmorex - they're currently having a sale on these machines and have almost 25% off RRP. Great customer service from everybody down there as well, was very happy doing business with them.

I basically bought this because of the positive comments in this thread and the commercial quality components in the machine. I couldn't find much on the internet about these machines even when searching the Grimac Royal Falcon (American) name, but what I did read was very encouraging.

After 4 days at home with the machine, I am already making waaaay better coffee than anything I can buy at work/nearby cafes.

One thing I have noticed though - my low water reservoir volume alarm doesn't seem to be working (something I saw in the YouTube reviews of the machine). Does anyone know how to test/get this working?

Comment

Working...
                                X