Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measuring Group Head Pressure on a HX machine

Hi All,

I recently upgraded to the beasty Rancilio S24, which is just a joy to run.

Quick question though, would anyone know how to measure the group head pressure (as opposed to the boiler pressure, which doesnt seem to move from the 1.3-1.5 bar mark while in use)? I was thinking of setting the OPV to 9 bar at the group, but don't have any fancy brew pressure PF to do so. Is there any other way to set it up like that??

Cheers,
    Aaron

I can lend you a portafilter+gauge if you can pickup/dropoff in the city, but I dont have a valve to regulate the allowed flow, so you just loosen up the fittings until 60ml drips out over 30 seconds. Send me a PM

Comment

But without a gauge, take the return hose out of the tank (The hose with nothing on the end), and measure the outflow with a blind basket.

The EP5 pump graph is below, 100% of the flow will be going through the return hose, so check how many ml/min comes out and find the range it falls in on the graph, dotted lines represent the tolerance/variation that is possible, so if you measured 260ml/min like in the graph, it could be anywhere between 7 and 10 bar. This does not take into account any pressure losses happening between the OPV and the group, for that you need a portafilter gauge with appropriate flow.

And take it easy on the pump, the specs say it can run for 2 minutes on with 1 minute breaks.

Comment

Pm'd you Jimmy.

Comment

Measuring the Bypass Volume is really nothing better than an indicator, you know. Pretty rough...

You'd have to allow an error margin of +/- 1.25Bar for a nominal bypass volume. Still far better to use a decent pressure gauge/needle valve setup (or similar). I'd take up the offer above or contact Greg Pullman to use his rental hardware.

Mal.

Comment

Thanks Mal. Advice has been taken.

Comment

Would you believe the only piece I needed to put this monstrosity together from parts I had already was a 1/4" nipple?

Comment

Arrrghhh ! ..Frankengauge gage !

Are you sure you couldnt fit a temp probe in there somewhere ?

Comment

I think with pressure taken care of temperature can be tuned reasonably easily by taste... i.e. I dont have a temp probe

Comment

Why do you have a valve on there? Any reason or just needed those fittings to complete the job?

I'll take a photo of mine which I made a few days ago.

Comment

I just went over to Reece plumbing supplies and brought my group handle and gauge. $4.70 later I had a fairly handy tool
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by brendogs View Post
                        Why do you have a valve on there? Any reason or just needed those fittings to complete the job?

I'll take a photo of mine which I made a few days ago.
                        There will be a small difference between the pressure measured with flow and without flow, restrictions/bends in the path between the opv/bypass and the group will cause pressure drops only when theres flow past them

Nice work, but you got the same gauge at reece for under $4.7? evilbay got me again

Comment

Nah I got the gauge off evilbay also.

Comment

Working...
                          X