Nuovo Simonelli Musica vs Diadema Junior Plus Lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuovo Simonelli Musica vs Diadema Junior Plus Lever

So, I know I'm asking to compare slightly different things here but I'd like to get opinions on the pros and cons of the Musica and Junior Plus Lever machines.

I understand that both machines are going to make great coffee and have commercial grade group heads. I also understand that the Musica is volumetric which is nice while the Junior Plus Lever is completely manual. The Musica also occupies more bench real estate. Pricing is similar.

If anyone has experience with either or both a Diadema Junior Plus (doesn't have to be the lever) or the Musica, I would love to hear your thoughts on which to go for.

I would base my decision on how much benefit you think you'd gain from the volumetric function. For me, volumetric buttons on a home machine = tits on a bull. Do you really need the machine to stop the shot for you? If not, I would think of the more substantial build quality and lower complexity of the Diadema to be an advantage as regards long service and maximum enjoyment of your investment.

Comment

Originally posted by coffee_machinist View Post
      I would base my decision on how much benefit you think you'd gain from the volumetric function. For me, volumetric buttons on a home machine = tits on a bull. Do you really need the machine to stop the shot for you? If not, I would think of the more substantial build quality and lower complexity of the Diadema to be an advantage as regards long service and maximum enjoyment of your investment.
      I'd also go with the Diadema. I love my Diadema single boiler. I also prefer the appearance of the Diadema over the musica.

Comment

Have to admit, I am sorta with CM on this as well.

For me, home espresso is about getting involved, not walking away- however I appreciate that people make decisions for their own circumstances.

Hard to go past the quality of finish on any Diadema machine. They are robust and super reliable.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

I have a Musica. My better half likes the buttons and so we bought the Musica. I must say that, yes you can push the button and walk away or you can push the buttonto stop the machine when you have poured the shot you want. So all you are doing is using a button instead of a lever. It also allows for a consistent pour once you get the grind right. I personally wanted a lever (Giotto) but I happy to use the Volumatic. I also prefer the look of the Lever machines but I am only one half of the equation, but the Musica certainly has a Bling to it .

I also had some issues with the first machine we took delivery of and it was subsequently replaced - having said that, talking to the technician who worked on the machine, he did say they were built to a very high standard (he did say commercial standard), and were on a similar quality to Lever machines. I am not a technician and will never look inside myself but as he does it for a living I will take his word for it. To date the replacement machine has not missed a beat for nearly a year. Whilst this is not long in the life of the machine I hope it will continue for some time yet before it requires repair.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm still weighing up my options but this is all appreciated.

If anyone else has any other thoughts they will be appreciated too.

Comment

Hi, I have a Musica and it makes some seriously good coffee. It has an awesome drip tray and huge amounts of steam controlled by a lever (much better than a twisting knob in my opinion). Like Stan said, if you don't want to use the volumetric buttons then don't! At least you have the option. I don't know if its more or less reliable than other prosumer machines... but I believe they're build using professional quality bits. My only complaint is my vibration pump is louder than my previous Bezzera machine.

Comment

totally, I didn't mean to suggest that the Musica was a poor quality machine. Far from it, NS are very well put together. But, it is definitely more complex internally, and from that point of view the OP should base his decision on what he values most in the machine.

Comment

totally, I didn't mean to suggest that the Musica was a poor quality machine. Far from it, NS are very well put together. But, it is definitely more complex internally, and from that point of view the OP should base his decision on what he values most in the machine.
                  Fair enough, more complexity does generally mean less reliable.

Comment

I think all the machines in this price bracket are well put together. It depends on what each person is after (and their partner , have a look at a couple and most Sponsors will all you to have a play and make up your mind what will suit you the best.

Comment

Working...
                    X