Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just bought a ECM barista brand new. All coffee made tastes bad.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Just bought a ECM barista brand new. All coffee made tastes bad.

    Ive just bought a brand new ECM barrista machine. it looks glorious. As the title states though, the coffee made with this brand new machine tastes atrocious. The taste is extremely metallic, sour and bitter.

    I am putting it down to it being new and all the metal fittings and boiler haven't been run in or seasoned etc.

    Has anyone else experienced this from a new machine?

    Btw, I'm running a low end sunbeam em0450 grinder. Of course I've made some nice coffee with this grinder before, using a gaggia classic. Yes, I need a new grinder, and I'm looking at a mazzer mini.

    I'm trying to run as much water through it as possible.

    Any thoughts?

  • #2
    Welcome to CS.

    Its elementary really at this point and there are just a couple of things to say that will help you get well on your way:

    a) yes over a short period the character of the water coming through the machine will settle down and improve and,

    b) over a longer period you will develop (either through your experience over time OR by undertaking training asap) a good operator technique to suit the machine (in conjunction with whatever grinder you use and the beans in use).

    Both the above will improve your result out of sight, and its all about time, perseverence and patience.......no matter what brand / model equipment you purchase.

    Hope that helps.
    Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor

    Comment


    • #3
      Just bought a ECM barista brand new. All coffee made tastes bad.

      Yes I found this as well. Metallic tasting coffee for a week. Actually even the shot that Jetblack pulled for me on their store machine tasted metallic. But it only lasted a week.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for the reassurance,

        I had an inclination that this is what was happening.

        Ive flushed around 30 litres of water through the machine, constantly filling the boiler, letting it get up to temp, then flushing it through the hot water tap. Also running water through the group and steam.

        I just would of thought that a high end machine like this one (1800 dollars?) would be prepared from factory and all metalic residue flushed out. I dont like the idea of drinking metalic water either :-)

        I bought the copper boiler version as the helpful guy at Supreme Coffee machines hinted that it is the way to go, since our water here in WA is a little harsh, and the stainless boiler version might not last the distance comparitvely. I bought this machine for the long haul.. i dont plan on upgrading for a very long time.

        It is now getting a lot better. im tasting the water coming through it and it is improving.

        Comment


        • #5
          Hi Konman,

          Just to be sure, seeing as you're moving from a single boiler to a HX - are you doing a cooling flush before pulling a shot? Super heated water can play havoc with your shots sometimes.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by konman View Post
            Thanks for the reassurance,

            I had an inclination that this is what was happening.

            Ive flushed around 30 litres of water through the machine, constantly filling the boiler, letting it get up to temp, then flushing it through the hot water tap. Also running water through the group and steam.

            I just would of thought that a high end machine like this one (1800 dollars?) would be prepared from factory and all metalic residue flushed out. I dont like the idea of drinking metalic water either :-)

            I bought the copper boiler version as the helpful guy at Supreme Coffee machines hinted that it is the way to go, since our water here in WA is a little harsh, and the stainless boiler version might not last the distance comparitvely. I bought this machine for the long haul.. i dont plan on upgrading for a very long time.

            It is now getting a lot better. im tasting the water coming through it and it is improving.
            If by "harsh" you mean hard and probably high TDS, do you have an appropriate water filter & softener running as well? Very important if you want things to work well for a decent period of time.

            Pete

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Yash View Post
              Hi Konman,

              Just to be sure, seeing as you're moving from a single boiler to a HX - are you doing a cooling flush before pulling a shot? Super heated water can play havoc with your shots sometimes.
              Yes I am, and I make sure I flush it until the steam running off the water is at a minimum.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Pete39 View Post
                If by "harsh" you mean hard and probably high TDS, do you have an appropriate water filter & softener running as well? Very important if you want things to work well for a decent period of time.

                Pete
                Yes you are right I had a friend who owns a San Churro coffee shop show me the TDS reading from the tap, which was quite high, then out from the machine which was even higher. He recommended using store bought spring water, which has a much lower TDS count. The taste was quite different, and so the water seems to be the culprit here. He also tested the water temp from the group, which was around 94 degrees.. I thought that would have been too high. Maybe a PID would solve this, and also then would be able to control that variable at the group.

                I was running a Britta tap filter

                Goes to show that the water quality and TDS really makes a difference.. I've learnt something today.

                I guess ill need to research on getting a filtration system happening.

                Comment


                • #9
                  nice to have another WA Cser! welcome konman =).

                  i'd suggest looking at cs sponsor fridgefilters (bomboora) for their filtration options spefically for coffee machines. (a little hard to find on their site) but i found the fact sheet on water for espresso machines really helpful: Fridge Filters Australia

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by konman View Post
                    Thanks for the reassurance,

                    I had an inclination that this is what was happening.

                    Ive flushed around 30 litres of water through the machine, constantly filling the boiler, letting it get up to temp, then flushing it through the hot water tap. Also running water through the group and steam.

                    I just would of thought that a high end machine like this one (1800 dollars?) would be prepared from factory and all metalic residue flushed out. I dont like the idea of drinking metalic water either :-)

                    I bought the copper boiler version as the helpful guy at Supreme Coffee machines hinted that it is the way to go, since our water here in WA is a little harsh, and the stainless boiler version might not last the distance comparitvely. I bought this machine for the long haul.. i dont plan on upgrading for a very long time.

                    It is now getting a lot better. im tasting the water coming through it and it is improving.
                    Hi Konman,

                    I too was looking at the ECM Barista today in Supreme Coffee. I heard the same story regarding boilers etc.

                    Can ask how did you get on with your machine in the end? Has all the metallic flavour disappeared? Would you still buy the ECM Barista if given the chance over again?

                    Cheers

                    Bigs

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hello Bigs
                      I just recently brought a ECM Barista From a retailer in Newcastle and I could not be happier. They do take a little getting use to as they are a HX machine coming from a Dual boiler Breville.
                      No metallic tasting from the coffee so that is a positive for me.
                      Regards
                      Kyle

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Rather than filling the boiler up continuously I would suggest you just flush through the group head. As it is a HX the water in the boiler won't have any effect on the metalic taste in your shots. I'm not sure if it would come through the steam and affect your milk tho

                        Maybe you just need a thin layer of scale to form on the surfaces?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by sato74 View Post
                          Hello Bigs
                          I just recently brought a ECM Barista From a retailer in Newcastle and I could not be happier. They do take a little getting use to as they are a HX machine coming from a Dual boiler Breville.
                          No metallic tasting from the coffee so that is a positive for me.
                          Regards
                          Kyle
                          Best to check DATES of not just coffee but also posts on a forum. Bigs has not been online since Septmeber last year.
                          Nec thread again.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X