Pimp My Pumper Baby...!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pimp My Pumper Baby...!

Looking at a strong reliable pro-sumer machine like a Bezzera 99. Yes I have read all the threads on this and others like the Rancilio S range.
    I want reliability, good performance. Don't care about latest trends looks etc.
    One question - What is the trip like in learning how to Tune this style machine?
    I will buy as good a cond 2nd hand as possible - expect some maintenance and rework to bring back to excellent condition - no concerns here I guess.
    However if I want to adjust pump pressure, group head temp etc. what is the difficulty rating.
    I am a mechanic and have learnt all my own round the house techo / maintenance needs - so I am adaptable/handy.

Also if I was keen to pimp it - like a PID kit etc is this possible with a HX?

Any opinions offered gratefully received ):

Thanks

If you like to play with group temp and pressure the expobar minore is one option

Group head pressure can be adjusted easily by sliding out the drip tray where you have access to the OPV all you need is a flat head screw driver, its a 30 second job

Then you have the PID for your temp

Its a double boiler and you have the option of turning off the steam boiler if only drinking short blacks,

Lots of options .......

Comment

Originally posted by EspressoAdventurer View Post
      Looking at a strong reliable pro-sumer machine like a Bezzera 99.
      One question - What is the trip like in learning how to Tune this style machine?
      Also if I was keen to pimp it - like a PID kit etc is this possible with a HX?

Any opinions offered gratefully received ):

Thanks
      Learning any machine depends on ...
      A) the specific machine
      B) your own experience & abilities

difficult to say beyond that !

I dont think a PID will bring a noticeable improvement to a well sorted HX, as the boiler temp is not the critical factor it is on a SBDU.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. So on a BZ99 it is a HX type machine? Yes?
        So a PID is deemed of good use on a Ms Silvia.
        So on a machine one or two steps up like a BZ99 or a Rancilio S24
        is this a reasonable and worthwhile mod?

Also say on the BZ99 which is totally manual would a temp gauge and a pressure gauge
        on the group head line be a mod that would be worthwhile.

What I'm chasing here is - the BZ99 and the S24 are both long standing models that have proved
        themselves as strong robust reliable machines that can be maintained and repaired at a reasonably
        modest cost as say compared to a Minore IV or a VBM Domobar (No I'm not being critical or judgemental of any brands / models)
        just trying to educate myself,up a step or two from where I'm currently at - And trying to understand what may be some good upgrades
        that would bring either machine up a step or two to be somewhere near the current best prosumer models in the market.

Any ideas or comments gratefully received

Comment

I had a BZ99 and I enjoyed it a great deal. It has an industrial look to it that doesn't suit everyone and only sold it because it was a plumbed in model which wasn't going to work with our new house.

I'm not really a tinkerer but I'd imagine fitting pressure and temp gauge would be fiddly and depending on your finishing skills might look a little tacked on. As for the PID, whilst I haven't researched this exhaustively, it is not a common mod and may not have been attempted yet. It does beg the question though - if you like the BZ99 why do you feel compelled to turn it into something it isn't (ie temp, pressure gauges and PID)? Is it really the machine you want? To me there is beauty in its clean lines and lack of frills to get in the way of what you make in the cup.

Just my 2c worth...

Good luck

Comment

Working...
          X