No announcement yet.

Bezzera Domus Galatea, three years on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bezzera Domus Galatea, three years on.

Whilst making SHMBO her evening brew last night I noticed a few drops of water leaking from around the edge of the PF, let it cool down overnight and replaced the seal this morning (I had a spare on hand) on examining the old seal I found cracks all around the face, it was also as hard as a rock.
    With a new seal (2 minute job) everything returned to normal.
    This prompted me to dig out the receipt for the machine to check the purchase date, was quite surprised to find I bought it in October 2009, that's a little over 3 years and the first thing Iv'e had to do to it except for a daily fresh water back flush, back flushing with EVO once a week and a descale every three months.
    I'm still as happy with the Galatea as I was on the day I bought it, runs like a clock and makes great coffee.

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
    .....over 3 years and the first thing Iv'e had to do to it except for ............... and a descale every three months...
    Is your water quality really bad enough to need a descale every 3 months !...or is this just "preventative maintenance"
    Do you have any pre treatment / filters ?

Comment

Originally posted by blend52 View Post
      Is your water quality really bad enough to need a descale every 3 months !...or is this just "preventative maintenance"
      Do you have any pre treatment / filters ?
      Question one ---- yes, I live in SA
      Question three ---- preventative maintenance
      Question three B ---- no, a regular descale handles the situation nicely.

Comment

G'day Yelta,

This one FYI if you haven't noticed.

My opinion is that you would be far better to revisit 3B...

Your choice, but just sayin' (as they say).

Chris
        Last edited by TC; 13 December 2012, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
          G'day Yelta,

This one FYI if you haven't noticed.

My opinion is that you would be far better to revisit 3B...

Your choice, but just sayin' (as they say).

Chris
          Your right Chris, it is my choice and I'll stick with it
          As far as I'm concerned 90% of what's published about filtration and espresso machines is hocus-pocus/scare tactics written by those with a vested interest.
          Perhaps we need Julian Assange to come on board to winkle out the truth.

Comment

No probs Yelta!

All I can say is that we get to fix 'em and I'd sooner clean toilets than descale machines.

FWIW, I couldn't give a toss if I never sell another filter. I speak only of my first-hand experience.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
              No probs Yelta!

All I can say is that we get to fix 'em and I'd sooner clean toilets than descale machines.

FWIW, I couldn't give a toss if I never sell another filter. I speak only of my first-hand experience.

Chris
              Fair enough Chris, we all form opinions and of course have to live with the consequences if we act on them.
              If deciding whether to descale regularly or install a filter is the toughest decision I have to make in 2012 then it's been a pretty stress free year.
              Have a good Christmas.

Cheers,

Jon.

Comment

90% of what's published about filtration and espresso machines is hocus-pocus/scare tactics
                With regard to the relative merits of various esoteric filtration systems, perhaps. I think it's readily understandable though that regular descaling is not a sensible approach to prolong the life of a machine.

Lets see, espresso machine internals are predominantly made of copper and brass (Stainless is a whole other, scarier, discussion).

Descaler is a mild acid. Acid dissolves things. The most readily dissolvable component element of the alloys concerned is copper. Thats why the water that comes out of the boiler during descaling is green, and freshly descaled brass is a peachy colour. You're looking at the copper content that used to be inside your machine. Brass that has had the copper leached out of it is quite brittle, I have had backnuts for pipes literally crumble in my hand as I've tried to undo them.

If you want to continue pouring a small percentage of your machine down the drain every 3 months, go ahead....

Comment

Originally posted by coffee_machinist View Post
                  With regard to the relative merits of various esoteric filtration systems, perhaps. I think it's readily understandable though that regular descaling is not a sensible approach to prolong the life of a machine.

Lets see, espresso machine internals are predominantly made of copper and brass (Stainless is a whole other, scarier, discussion).

Descaler is a mild acid. Acid dissolves things. The most readily dissolvable component element of the alloys concerned is copper. Thats why the water that comes out of the boiler during descaling is green, and freshly descaled brass is a peachy colour. You're looking at the copper content that used to be inside your machine. Brass that has had the copper leached out of it is quite brittle, I have had backnuts for pipes literally crumble in my hand as I've tried to undo them.

If you want to continue pouring a small percentage of your machine down the drain every 3 months, go ahead....
                  I'm not in the least interested in going down the path your trying to take this CM.
                  I'm more than happy with the machine, it was my cash I used to pay for it with, and, I will maintain it in any manner I choose, end of story.

Comment

Have a good Christmas.

Cheers,

Jon.
                    You too Jon. All the best!

C

Comment

I bought it in October 2009, that's a little over 3 years and the first thing Iv'e had to do to it except for a daily fresh water back flush, back flushing with EVO once a week and a descale every three months.
                      I'm still as happy with the Galatea as I was on the day I bought it, runs like a clock and makes great coffee.
                      ...as interesting as I find the above posts ... just to get back on topic a little...

3 years of great coffee and this was the first part replacement (and a consumable really) then I think you are doing pretty well.

Over that time the machine hardware cost you something like $3-$4 a day and the longer it runs the cheaper that figure is... so an initial big price tag is actually a reasonable cost when you factor the lifespan of the good gear and great coffee. Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                        ...as interesting as I find the above posts ... just to get back on topic a little...

3 years of great coffee and this was the first part replacement (and a consumable really) then I think you are doing pretty well.

Over that time the machine hardware cost you something like $3-$4 a day and the longer it runs the cheaper that figure is... so an initial big price tag is actually a reasonable cost when you factor the lifespan of the good gear and great coffee. Nice!
                        Thanks for the positive comments Andy, my feelings exactly.

Comment

Annual report time.

Five years since initial purchase, Status Quo maintained, the machine is running just as well as when I bought it, no major issues in the past 12 months.

Cost per day based on initial price down to $1.53 per day, I'm still happy.

Comment

Can't wait to say this about my Mitica in five years time! Only problem so far is that the hot water wand is way too loose for my liking and the nut above the steam wand needs tightening. Otherwise loving the Bezzera quality!

Have you had any thoughts about taking the 50% and buying a brand new one?

Comment

Also, have you adjusted yours from factory settings at all?

Comment

Working...
                              X