E61 machines and grease.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E61 machines and grease.

Descaled my machine today, while I was about it I took the shaft and cam out of the group head, wiped them down and smeared them with a dab of food grade grease, what a difference, smoother than new, I do this about every 3 months and am always surprised at what an improvement it makes.

I just purchased a Domobar Super 2nd hand and it isn't in the most amazing condition but could do with a clean and descale. I did a backflush as soon as I received it and noticed that the lever is a tiny bit grainy to the touch so I was thinking of doing that too! Although I was thinking I may look at getting an e61 seal kit or something and pull the whole group head apart and replace all the rubbers and seals plus lube it up where necessary. I might head down to the shops tomorrow and purchase some grease then next week put an order in for some parts.

Comment

Doing the chemical backflush can remove the oil/grease from the cam/shaft making it feel a bit rough after cleaning.

Comment

E61 machines and grease.

What brand of food grease, or where can I buy it?

Comment

You can get various brands from sponsors, or if you're not near any (like me) Inox at Jaycar works well and is cheap. Just make sure you clean any other lubricant off first.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by fg1972 View Post
            Doing the chemical backflush can remove the oil/grease from the cam/shaft making it feel a bit rough after cleaning.
            I agree, and if we do as recommended (chemical back flush weekly) it doesn't take long before you feel that distinctive metal on metal feel.

Use and time strip the grease as well, I find my machine lasts about 3 or 4 months before it needs a lube.

Yep, Inox from Jaycar is the stuff I use.

Comment

Just started a new thread here http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...-solution.html seems the grease simply masks the symptoms for a short time, for a more satisfactory and longer lasting solution check the link.

Comment

Working...
              X