Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Home Machine. Here's my brief!

Hi All,

As you all did such a terrific job at helping me choose my grinder. Now it's time to invest in a coffee machine!

If I could have my way, I would plumb the machine - no question about it. But, sadly I am renting, and I'm pretty confident the landlord would frown at making holes in the worktop...

However, if I am going to spend up to around $3k on a machine, I probably don't want to be changing when I finally get my way own way and get my own place.

So. I am thinking I need something that works both plumbed and not from a tank.

Can someone confirm that both
    - Rocket giotto evoluzoine v2; and
    - ECM Manufacture Technika IV Profi
    both fulfil these requirements?

It seems apparent that noone is going to recommend one of these machines over the other, so I won't ask. However - I am rather looking for your comments to the following:

1) Are there any other machines I should look at, equivalent to the two above.
    2) Is my both plumbed and not plumbed a good idea, or will I face drawbacks.
    3) Has anyone ever successfully plumbed in a machine in a rented home.
    4) Any other comments?!

As always, I appreciate and enjoy all your replies.

1) Depends on whether or not you wanna tamper with that! 8-o
    2) It's a good idea.
    3) No, haven't had to try but think laterally, anything is possible.
    4) Invite your landlord around for coffee.

Comment

Expobar minore can be had with a rotary pump option. and it is dual boiler. adds $600 to the price ends up around $3100.

i do like the rocket......

Comment

The OP wants a tank. The minore is either tank vibe pump or rotary pump without tank.

Comment

Are we to assume you have settled on a E61 group m/c then ?
          Maybe the Bezzera Domus Galetae ?
          Or the Alex Duetto.. dual boiler ?

but if you are open minded then possibly the Strega or even the Londinium, ..both of which can be converted to run from piped supply.

Also, its perfectly feasible to run many of the "plumbed " machines without cutting counter tops.
          Flexible palstic supply pipes work fine and you dont have to plumb the drip tray...hardly worth the trouble in a domestic set up.

Comment

Originally posted by blend52 View Post
            Are we to assume you have settled on a E61 group m/c then ?
            Maybe the Bezzera Domus Galetae ?
            Or the Alex Duetto.. dual boiler ?

but if you are open minded then possibly the Strega or even the Londinium, ..both of which can be converted to run from piped supply.

Also, its perfectly feasible to run many of the "plumbed " machines without cutting counter tops.
            Flexible palstic supply pipes work fine and you dont have to plumb the drip tray...hardly worth the trouble in a domestic set up.
            Thanks for this info, you have given me another what appear to be fantastic machines. However will one decide

I am probably about as open minded I can get. You do not have to assume I have settled on a E61 group machine, I am merely going by what I know, and I know that these are awesome.

I recall in my last workplace, we had a coffee machine which used to take a year to heat up for milk. That is definately not something I am keen to have to do.

I guess I will need to take a look when I move into my new pad to see if there is an option to easily plumb. If so, then I'm back to square 1 with deciding...

Comment

I second the Alex Duetto especially the II which is currently heavily discounted. I like the look of the Duetto 3 but value is with the Mk II. The Duetto has all your requirements I reckon incl switchable plumb or tank. You only need to be quick as there's not many left.

Comment

Originally posted by kenwahoo View Post
                I second the Alex Duetto especially the II which is currently heavily discounted. I like the look of the Duetto 3 but value is with the Mk II. The Duetto has all your requirements I reckon incl switchable plumb or tank. You only need to be quick as there's not many left.
                Thanks Ken,

I think there is one (perhaps 2) with Dimattina Coffee WA. There are 2 with Coffee Roasters Australia on the GC. There may also be one with Dimattina Fitzroy (Melb) and possibly an early Duetto II V2 demo with Di Bartoli (Bondi Junction NSW). These are the final Aussie stocks of V2.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                  Thanks Ken,

There are 2 with Coffee Roasters Australia on the GC.
                  Cheers for that info! Being based in Brissy, I might have to check this out!

Would you say you were getting better bang for your buck on the savings with this machine than my original two listed. I will of course check this out after work tonight, but ... just to keep me going feel free to provide any pros! (i assume there are no cons...)

Comment

Originally posted by scottydog View Post
                    I am probably about as open minded I can get. You do not have to assume I have settled on a E61 group machine, .
                    I dont know your expectations, or limitations , but if you are really open minded, and keen to embrace the espresso world, then i would encourage you to research the "Londinium 1 " thread on here http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...inium-l-i.html and other sources, before you commit.
                    Its a different m/c .. single lever ,commercial group , domestic design, only released last year, but it is creating quite a storm among the "top end" espresso crowd. Importantly, it is also exceptional value and reported to be well built by a commercial m/c builder.
                    You wont find too many supporters on this board as the m/c is only available direct from the manufacturer in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by scottydog View Post
                      Cheers for that info! Being based in Brissy, I might have to check this out!

Would you say you were getting better bang for your buck on the savings with this machine than my original two listed. I will of course check this out after work tonight, but ... just to keep me going feel free to provide any pros! (i assume there are no cons...)
                      Go for it Scotty. I doubt you will get better bang for buck on any other machine. You will get a local service and support network as well. Not only that, we're actually in the same time zone and country.

Comment

IMO yes because the Duetto 3 improvements from 2012 Duetto 2 v3 are, as far as I know:

case- doesn't end in sharp sheet, has rounded edges which for me is a neater look
                        handrails- included
                        ventilation is improved
                        portafilter handle is ergonomic
                        leds now surface mounted
                        drip tray redesigned so overflow tube is out of sight but size is smaller, no handle on the front
                        group head mounting reinforced
                        tank increased to 3litre
                        brew boiler reduced to .58 from .8 l (apparently UK model retained bigger boiler)
                        PID reading red but my 2012 duetto ii has the red PID already

Check Bella Barista's review of both models for further info. It's a matter of how important the above are to you. For cons, see my comments on the Duetto 2 thread but not everyone agrees. It's just my opinion but they are small issues not affecting operation of the machine.

With respect to importing machines, I thought about it myself but what happens if you get a dud and require warranty work? Is the hassle of requiring to send it overseas for repair worth the saving? Will the manufacturer recognise & pay your local tech to repair? I buy a lot of stuff from overseas even electrical but they are low value items not worth repairing. You have to figure the risk for the kind of money you are spending.

Happy hunting & good luck.

Comment

So. A few months on and I am about the purchase my new machine. Finally decided on I will purchase one of the last remaining Alex Duetto v II.

Bit more than I wanted
                          , but... I'm hoping it will be worth it!

Accordingly, I won't be purchasing for 24 hours... if anyone has any last minute advice or things to to look at ... let me know!

Thanks everyone for their help! So kind.

Comment

My experience in making big purchase that are just beyond your budget..... No regret, just a warm fuzzy feeling that you didn't go the cheap option.

Enjoy

Comment

A word of caution, you will have to live with this decision for a long, long time.

Comment

Working...
                              X