Rancilio S24 - Tripping Safey Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rancilio S24 - Tripping Safey Switch

I'm fixing a friends S24 which is in great condition but it is just tripping the safety switch, this only just recently happened he told me that it happened out of no where.

I opened up the case to see if there was any corrosion over any terminals or the power block and there is no corrosion whatsoever over any parts so I need to just start eliminating issues.

-Basically it turns on, pump initiates (I'm not quite sure if it is actually pumping water or not? Next time I turn it on I'll check the tank if water levels drop)
    -Pump continues, continues, continues. Doesn't seem to stop.
    -Anti vac valve starts releasing air? (The only corrosion in the machine is around the circlip of the anti vac valve so maybe this will either need to be replaced or maybe a bath in citric acid or descaler.)
    -Then... Boom

Then if I flick the safety switch and turn it on again... Boom.

If I let it cool down the same process repeats.

Suggestions would be welcomed

-Brendon

I suggest you take it to a qualified repairer before you fry yourself.

Comment

I would second Yelta's suggestion.

They have internal / immersion elements? Could be corroded or completely covered with scale.

Comment

I think that may be a possibility, he told me its been sitting for a few months so scale is a possibility. I'm an electronic technician so I am fairly safe with this sort of stuff. I might take a couple hoses off and have a peak inside to see if scale is indeed an issue. I highly doubt it thought its clean as a whistle!

Comment

As the S24 had been sitting for a while it probably needed the boiler primed properly when first switched on to ensure the boiler had sufficient water in it.
          If this wasn't done the heating element could have been overheated and ruptured and now be shorting when contacting water.

You could try removing the 2 connections to the boiler heating element making sure they are safe by taping them over. Once this is done try running the pump via the brew switch and also try hot water. If this doesn't trip the safety switch its a fair chance the heating element needs replacing.

I bought a 2nd hand Silvia that was tripping my safety switch when heating up to steam. Resistance measured OK for the element but was advised by a repairer that there might be a micro-fracture that expanded at higher heat and exposed the live portion of the element to water causing a short and tripping my safety switch. In mine I replaced the Heating Element and all was fine. Yours may have a similar issue (or not)?

If you're not confident in opening up the machine and trouble shooting and repairing, don't take the risk. Take it to a qualified repairer. If you repair it for a friend and something goes wrong, you'll be liable unfortunately.

Click this link - Rancilio Espresso Machines La Pavoni Espresso Machines and Parts

Scroll to bottom of page and click on S20 wiring diagram, scroll pages of PDF to S24 wiring page

Comment

Ok I have a feeling something like that may have happened. I switched it on this morning and nothing at all. Pump didn't prime, heating element didn't engage, cup switch didn't initiate nothing at all! Grrr

My mate has given it to me, I'm basically doing a few jobs for him and he's paying me with this so it's a good deal if I can fix it up give it a nice clean and then forward it on to someone who is in the market.

Comment

Originally posted by brendogs View Post
              Ok I have a feeling something like that may have happened. I switched it on this morning and nothing at all. Pump didn't prime, heating element didn't engage, cup switch didn't initiate nothing at all! Grrr

My mate has given it to me, I'm basically doing a few jobs for him and he's paying me with this so it's a good deal if I can fix it up give it a nice clean and then forward it on to someone who is in the market.
              Try the Boiler heating element disconnect as per previous post. See if the pumps works etc.

Comment

Element disconnected, no pump...

Cup switch isn't working either. Have a small feeling it's either the control box or the pump now.

Comment

Originally posted by brendogs View Post
                  Element disconnected, no pump...

Cup switch isn't working either. Have a small feeling it's either the control box or the pump now.
                  Found this thread, may be of use if you haven't spotted it yet.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...t-turning.html

Here's another with a different suggestion -

My s24 all of a sudden stopped heating water and shut off, now - FixYa

Comment

Ok so I've made quite a stupid error since getting this on the bench. I read through that thread CafeLotta and the reason nothing has been happening is because there is no microswitch on these machine and it works on pressure. I had the water tank sitting on the side and it wasn't the correct height to make enough pressure for it to realize there was water! So stupid me made a silly mistake.

Anyway now that I have realized that, I have filled the tank up manually by removing the anti vac valve and with a funnel I filled it up just over half way. Then I've turned it on and everything works as normal! Hooray! The pump is priming and filling the tank up to it's normal levels then the elements are firing up and heating the water up fine without tripping the safety switch. Now the only issue is the pump is not pumping water through the group head, it sounds like it's working but nothing is coming through, it does sound like it's struggling a tiny bit so I need to inspect the water lines but I still have a sneaky suspicion that the pump is faulty. I had to give it a hit before to fire it up properly because it sounded like it was working at about 20% then once I gave it a knock it sounded normal(ish).

It sounds normal when it's refilling the boiler, but when it's pumping through the group head when I hit the cup switch it sounds like it's half blocked...

Is it possible the pump is blocked or semi blocked? What tests could I do on a pump?

Comment

When its pumping because of the pump switch but nothing comes out the head you can take the opv return tube out of the water tank and look at the flow, if the machine has all its original parts it will be the tube without a plastic attachment on the end

Comment

I just checked that and yes water comes out of that tube but nothing out of the group head.

Comment

Problem will probably be the three way valve then, broken, blocked or disconnected

Comment

I've just pulled it out and I'll pull it to bit's tomorrow and see if I can see any blockages inside the 3 way valve. I hope it's just blocked so I can make some coffee's with this thing! I've always wanted to get one of these machines.

Comment

so what is the latest?

Comment

Working...
                              X