Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed - Rocket Giotto Brew Lever scraping at Top of Lifted Position

Can anyone suggest a better solution.

When I lift my brew lever upwards and just as you get towards the top of the movement there is a scraping of the internal parts.

Now when I strip down the section (see pic) What appears to happen is that the offset cam (part #11) open and shuts the spring loaded valves #9 and #25.
    It is the scraping on these (#25) that is causing the problem.

I lubricate it with a food grade type grease (looks like vaseline) and the problem is solved for about 2-4 weeks.
    Then it returns progressively after say 2 weeks.

The cam shaft (#11) is not bent or distorted.

Any suggestions as to the type of lubricant to use and is this normal or is there something else to consider??

thanks in advance

Sando
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Brew Lever scrape.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	754295

Hi Sando,

How often do you backflush with chemical? If too often this can cause stripping of oil and lub and you will have the squeaking metal on metal type sound.

Comment

Stick with the high temp lubricant like Molykote or Inox.

When cleaning try using a small quantity of backflush detergent. I only use about 1/4 teaspoon and dissolve it in a bit of hot water before locking in the handle with blind filter. Don't wait too long between each lever pull. I stick a small container under the outlet (into the driptray) and apply the lever a few times until the water coming out of the outlet is clear. I only do a detergent backflush once every two weeks.

I will still notice a bit of metal-to-metal rubbing but this usually disappears after I start the clean water backflush stage. I've had my machine for over 3.5 years and only once applied lubricant probably unnecessarily as there was no sign of wear on the cam.
      Last edited by flynnaus; 20 February 2013, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Pretty normal Sando, seems some machines use chrome plated cams and don't have the problem, my Bezzera has a bronze cam and needs regular lubrication (about once a month) I use Inox food grade grease from Jaycar, I'm sure there are other products available that are just as good, if not better.
        http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...es-grease.html

Comment

I have this problem to a small extent also with the alex izzo which is chrome; I use the inox and it solves the problem.
          Its mainly evident after I backflush the machine, so my routine now includes the lube!

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
          Pretty normal Sando, seems some machines use chrome plated cams and don't have the problem, my Bezzera has a bronze cam and needs regular lubrication (about once a month) I use Inox food grade grease from Jaycar, I'm sure there are other products available that are just as good, if not better.
          http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...es-grease.html

Comment

We have two. Both are good!

Comment

Thanks all for the advice.

I have only used chem once about 6 months ago.
              That probably stripped some/most of the grease off,
              and the grease I am using is also probably the wrong one so need to do often.

Just lubed it again and its 'sweet as' again.

I will get some proper grease and see how that goes.

Thanks again for the help.

Sando

Comment

Hi Sando,

I used to have the same machine and problem. The only difference was mine wasn't internal it was external. It was from where the lever rotates against the piston (Part 18). All I would do is touch it with a wet finger now and then and it would disappear. Are you sure its coming from the internals?

Cheers Yabba

Comment

Hi Sando,

I have same machine and sometimes have same problem. I totally agree with flynnaus above. Would only add that I find about 8 to 10 rinse flushes after a chemical clean (every two weeks) seems to free things up better.

I can also get a little friction from the cam (external) on the lever when it operates the plunger of the switch. A tiny wipe of Inox on the cam periodically works wonders.

As I only use my machine three times a day and turn it off in between I always give it three back flush rinses before turning it off.

Noel

Comment

Working...
                  X