giotto top up cycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• giotto top up cycle

finally got my giotto going again with new heating element was wondering about the the frequency of it pumping up to the boiler it has a short burst every 2 minutes,i cant remember it being that quick before is that normal or not.Kevin

Kev, do you mean it is topping up the boiler with water every 2 minutes or so? If so it sounds as if you have a leak somewhere cause if you are not using water it shouldn't need a top up at all.

STeve

Comment

Yes- not normal. It could be overfilling dues to one of many factors. Alternately, look for leaks.

Comment

also pull out the water level probe and make sure it's clean.

Comment

as usual it looks as if your on the money just got home from work and there is water under machine will investigate and find the problem will let you know what i find,already cleaned the water level probe was one of the things i did when it first started playing up ,and it was pretty dirty. kevin

Comment

unplug it immediately before doing anything else

Comment

found the problem the safety valve is blowing steam constantly i would say that is what finished off my heater element it all seems so obvious now as i was loosing pressure after steaming milk, water was coming from the overflow pipe that had fallen down there is no leaks, so new valve and it should be coffee nirvana once again thanks for your help.cheers kevin.

Comment

yes learnt my lesson on that one yesterday got away with it just,was still shaking a hr later

Comment

seems im jumping the gun a bit here, looking at safety valves online it explains how the safety valve releases steam if the pressurestat fails to cut off heater element which is what mine is doing the heater is not turning off and it keeps on heating up, where to now how do you check if pressurestat is not working .kevin

Comment

what does the gauge on the front of the machine say? I would assume if the pstat was failing the gauge would be reading very high (or very low)?

Comment

Safety valves will also develop leaks- and consistently release steam once the machine comes to pressure. Anti-vac valves will do the same thing.

Comment

the gauge is going up higher than 1.5 but is brought down by the steam releasing it is getting very hot and is filling the boiler up constantly and you can hear the heater working flat out so maybe there is nothing wrong with the saftey valve its just doing what its supposed to do,before i switched it of it was like it was hypo going flat trying to keep with the boiler getting hotter all the time.kevin

Comment

Working...
                        X