Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E61 lever roughness/squeaking, a solution.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E61 lever roughness/squeaking, a solution.

The lever on my 2.5 year old Bezzera Galatea has has required lubrication more and more often over the past 6 months, symptoms are squeaking and harsh/notchy feel when rotating the lever, certainly a long way from the smooth way it rotated when new, lubrication only offers short term relief, then it's back to the squeak grind.

Pulled the lever assy out this morning and examined it through a 10 power glass, the cam and pin surfaces were quite scored, could even feel the scores with a finger nail.

Got to work on the contact surfaces cam and pins, with some 800 wet and dry followed by 1200 then a quick hit on a polishing buff had them very smooth and shining like a gold ring.

Reassembled it without any lube, brilliant result, smoother than new.

The whole job start to finish took about 30 mins.

I can agree with the polishing of the metal surfaces, but are you suggesting no lube is preferable to some lube..even if it washes off after a few days ?
    The whole point of lubrication is to prevent metal to metal contact and the resulting damage.

Comment

Originally posted by blend52 View Post
      I can agree with the polishing of the metal surfaces, but are you suggesting no lube is preferable to some lube..even if it washes off after a few days ?
      The whole point of lubrication is to prevent metal to metal contact and the resulting damage.
      Not at all, I simply put it together without lube to prove a point, point well and truly proven.

Comment

Re: E61 lever roughness/squeaking, a solution.

Wonder how a phosphor bronze bush would go?

Comment

Originally posted by MrJack View Post
          Wonder how a phosphor bronze bush would go?
          I suspect the cam and pins are in fact phosphor bronze.
          The tiny bush does not present a problem at this stage.

Comment

Re: E61 lever roughness/squeaking, a solution.

Ahh, so no lubrication necessary...

Comment

hey Yelta,

You've pretty much described my issue with my vibiemme. I've lubricated the cam before but it doesn't seem to stay that way for long. I'm familiar with lubricating the cam but what is the best removal procedure to get to the pins?

Comment

Working...
              X