Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocket Giotto Premium Plus - Troubleshooting

Hi All,
    Just upgraded to a (2nd hand/supposedly as new???) Rocket Giotto Premium Plus. It was a big jump from many years on a Gaggia Classic.
    Machine was delivered today - then excitement quickly went from 10 to 0 . I unboxed everything and read the Rocket manual. I then followed the setup instructions, filled tank, etc. I turned on the machine – pump ran for a minute or so to fill the boiler, etc. and after about 5 minutes it started spewing steam from the inside of the machine and leaked water all over the counter (also tripped the house power breaker). Almost seemed like it blew a gasket or pipe or something. AAAAAARGGGG!!!! As I am VERY new to this I don't even know where to start troubleshooting.
    Do you have any thoughts on this? Any help would be greatly appreciated! (BTW I'm in Melbs)

Cheers, Daniel

Considering you don't know where to start troubleshooting. I suggest take it to a technician.

Comment

Hello Daniel.

Your machine will require the skills of a technician to rectify this.

We can look over it for you if you wish.

If the person who sold you the machine sold it in "good order" you may want to discuss the issue of who's paying.

Sadly, there's always risk in purchasing 2nd hand and/or sight unseen.

Chris

Comment

What happened to the seller? There could be numerous things wrong if water is coming out of the vacuum breaker. I assume from your description that the pump does actually stop pumping after a minute...if it continues pumping right through could just be a disconnected/bad connection of the water level probe causing overfilling of the boiler. One general problem with second hand machines is scale build up and that also could be causing the vacuum breaker not to close. Anyway, not enough information to diagnose.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Ok - took it to the fix-it shop (before I saw your post Chris). Will be after Easter before I hear something. Fingers crossed not too $pendey. And fingers crossed I can recoup costs from seller. It's a shame this has taken a bit of the excitement out of getting the machine.
          Daniel

Comment

That's a shame Daniel- we could have done it same day

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
              That's a shame Daniel- we could have done it same day
              Thanks for a little bit more torture Chris :P

Comment

hopefully you sent it to people who know what they are doing...

Comment

For those who are interested, the fix-it guys did a very quick job. Got a call first thing this morning (after dropping of machine at 5pm yesterday) saying it was fixed. Was a broken pipe. I just wasted the last hour of my life trying to work out how to upload the pics of the culprit - only to finally see a note at the bottom of the page that I'm not allowed to post attachments - REALLY??? Anyway - all is well and the cost was very reasonable. If anyone is interested in seeing what actually broke let me know how I can get the pics up. Cheers, Daniel

Comment

Nice one Daniel...

Enjoy the new kit!

Comment

Update: Have been enjoying the machine trouble free for the last year and a half. This morning the machine was working fine - for a while - then the power went dead. Machine sat dormant for 1/2 an hour or so then started working again - and repeat. Any ideas? Cheers, Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by danielb View Post
                        This morning the machine was working fine - for a while - then the power went dead. Machine sat dormant for 1/2 an hour or so then started working again - and repeat. Any ideas? Cheers, Daniel
                        By power went dead you mean the heating light went off and did not turn on? How does the pressure read?

May be it is the pressurestat sticking, or the power cable is loose somewhere.. former cause is more probable. What water did you feed her?

Comment

Originally posted by danielb View Post
                          Update: Have been enjoying the machine trouble free for the last year and a half. This morning the machine was working fine - for a while - then the power went dead. Machine sat dormant for 1/2 an hour or so then started working again - and repeat. Any ideas? Cheers, Daniel
                          Hello Daniel,

Assuming it wasn't water related, it's probably a control board on the way out.

Chris

Comment

Hi, thanks for the responses. By dead - the green power light went off. I checked the power point and lead was plugged in. I didn't check the machine end - I think it's hard wired? Water is full and works fine for a while. What's the cost of a control board fix Chris? Cheers, Daniel

Comment

Aaaaand we have a winner!!! Congratulations Chris you win the inter web coffee machine diagnostic championships! Was the control board. A little over $300 for repair and service - I guess it could've been worse.

Is there any use for the old one? It partially works - until heat? shuts it down. Are they repairable?

Comment

Working...
                              X