ECM Rafaello Megaline A2 vs Bench Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECM Rafaello Megaline A2 vs Bench Space

I picked up an ECM rafaello earlier tonight, and managed to get it upstairs and onto the kitchen bench.

It's a big unit for a dual group.. Well, a little more imposing than the em6910 it's replacing.

I have to do a bit of work before I can get making coffees with it -

a) get 20A circuit to the bench outlet (existing 2x10A)

b) bring mains supply up from under the bench to the machine with a filter inline

c) descale & replace the screens, filters / o-rings etc.

Machine has had very little use, but has been sitting for some time. Not particularly worried, but will be interested to see how it comes back from lack of use.

Any other specific things to check before I bring it back online?

Here are some pics.
    ECM - a set on Flickr

Well well well (three holes in the ground)

I started to clean the machine down and it ended up in me making the decision to completely strip the machine.

Thanks to Pedro @ CoffeeParts.com.au for a huge amount of spare parts, while I just get on with replacing everything except the boiler and pipes...

Some stuff is still very serviceable, it's just that I prefer to not have to venture inside a machine after setting to work on a project.

The machine as it arrived : ECM - a set on Flickr

Now it's being pulled apart and comprehensively refurbished.

Here are some progress pics: ECM Rafaello Megaline A2 Restoration - a set on Flickr

Comment

Almost there.
      For some reason the previous post from yesterday didn't make it here, so here's the update:

Today was reassembly of the pipework & group heads / boiler etc.

A Stack of new parts fitted, just because I want this to last.

After all the tasks carried out in this machines restoration process, it's obvious it was not well looked after in it's previous role, in a thai restaraunt despite its' alleged minimal use.

In fact it obviously had never been descaled or cleaned. I wonder how bad the coffees were!

I'm debating whether or not to paint the cover panels a nice colour - like a fire engine red, or Liquid Yellow pearl or airbrush a mural on it.

So far the list of parts replaced:

All solenoids - on group, boiler, hot water mix & pump block
      new copper o-rings on all fittings. new teflon o-rings on boiler solenoids
      pump block, valves, springs & o-rings
      rotary pump overhauled. (bearing)
      new valves on boiler (all)
      heater element removed, cleaned new teflon gasket.
      Steam valves overhauled (all internals replaced)
      2 hole end for RH steam wand
      new hot water diffuser & orings
      new group jets, gauze filters, o-rings
      flow meters overhauled
      New antivac valve & OP bleed valve
      polished all pipework & incralac to protect.

I have deliberately chosen to not soda blast the base / frame, as after cleaning with the gerni only a minimal amount of surface rust was found.
      Unfortunately I only had some red killrust on hand, so the insides got a couple of coats to seal the rust off.

So the mechanicals are done now.
      Tomorrow will be refit of the electrical harness, and fill test.

Here are more progress pics ECM Rafaello Megaline A2 Restoration - a set on Flickr

Comment

I had 3 posts updating this thread and they have disappeared. unsure why.

Comment

Streuth! Is there anything you didn't replace? Cosmetically it looks in great condition - I'm quite surprised at the list of parts replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by Pretzal View Post
            Streuth! Is there anything you didn't replace? Cosmetically it looks in great condition - I'm quite surprised at the list of parts replaced.
            The machine was manufactured in 2002 according to the serial number, and has seen very little use - however it also appeared to have never been descaled or the groups cleaned frequently enough.

As a result the group solenoids and boiler solenoids were *serviceable* but it would have been a matter of time before having to pull the machine down.

I didn't have to replace many of the parts, however I chose to, to ensure the machine was 100% before I plugged it in. I think that is the difference between a useable machine and one that functions flawlessly.

Anyway, I'm almost finished the partial restoration. Today I spent a fair amount of time on the steam valves, ensuring their smooth operation and wiring, and making some adjustments to the layout of the pipework from the pump block.

I ended up replacing the copper gasket in the steam valves with a teflon one and new silicon hose for the steam wands, which was missing when I stripped the valves down for cleaning & descaling.

If I had more time I'd have sent the boiler away for soda blasting and nickel plating, but this is sufficient for a workhorse machine that will see daily duty on the kitchen bench.

It's a big step up physically from the EM6910 I had for 6.5 years, but I need the extra group.

I have been thinking about changing the colour from the metallic charcoal that it is now, but for the moment the cosmetic change can wait until I have the machine powered up and callibrate the pressure & Dial in the group temps..

I'm happy with the machine. The component quality is excellent. It will last a very long time.

Comment

Well the hardware restoration is complete. It's time to suss out the gicar control unit & pads etc. meanwhile here is the full image timeline from go to whoa. ECM Rafaello Megaline A2 Restoration

Comment

Joe thanks for sharing this with us all, I love seeing people tinker/rebuild/repair these sorts of things. If you don't mind me asking, how much has this project put you out of pocket? Do you think you have come out in front over all, or do you think that the cost of buying all these replacement parts has put you in a position where you probably could have just bought new (wouldn't have been as much fun of course)?

Comment

Originally posted by Caneurysm View Post
                  Joe thanks for sharing this with us all, I love seeing people tinker/rebuild/repair these sorts of things. If you don't mind me asking, how much has this project put you out of pocket? Do you think you have come out in front over all, or do you think that the cost of buying all these replacement parts has put you in a position where you probably could have just bought new (wouldn't have been as much fun of course)?
                  Thanks for your interest!

Knowing what it was, I was committed to buying the machine which was advertised for $1800. I offered $1500 for it. Seems steep I know, but the machine is in excellent cosmetic condition. It's almost new. On the inside however, because the machine sat for so long and was never properly cleaned, it had issues. Issues many could have lived with, but I'm pretty much an exception to that rule. I'm just not happy until I know it's right

I could have easily just powered it up and given it a quick cleanup and gotten on with things, and making really average. coffee. My tastebuds don't suffer crap coffee, so I had one choice: rebuild it.

Overall Pedro & Marcello from Coffee Parts looked after me very well, and were extremely helpful in finding the correct parts, where there were some differences to the parts from the schematic.

I spent approx $1200 in parts, and while that sounds a lot, it did include a new double shot naked portafilter (for a bit of interest) a callibration portafilter with thermocouple and pressure gauge, all new solenoids, all new o-rings, and many new copper & teflon gaskets & o-rings where there were previously none.

So for a total outlay of approx $2700, I have a 2 group ECM machine, which IMO, pees all over the giotto. I tested that and the vibiemme domobar rotary, and they are both OK machines, but this thing… it has presence.

And I know it has the potential to make a truckload of great quality espresso.

I just plumbed it in today (this afternoon) and filled it up for the first time. It took a little while to get up to temp - something I will have to get used to, as the thermoblock from the em6910 was a spoiler.

Nevertheless, I am prepared to learn a new-to-me machine, and hopefully pull a great shot.

I have some more pics on the thread, the very first shot out of the machine after making sure everything was ticketty-boo.

The last half-dozen pics in the link below show the first shot. It's not bad, and pretty close to the ballpark, smooth taste with no bitterness.

ECM Rafaello Megaline A2 Restoration - a set on Flickr

Now all that remains is to finish the callibration, setup the flow rate & program, and learn where the best grind setting is.

Comment

I reckon all that remains is to consider upgrading your grinder! There's some serious disparity going on there!

Thanks for sharing all of the photos and the descriptions - I've really enjoyed it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Pretzal View Post
                      I reckon all that remains is to consider upgrading your grinder! There's some serious disparity going on there!

Thanks for sharing all of the photos and the descriptions - I've really enjoyed it too.

Yes, you are right! I haven't had any real problems with this em0480, however my family who all have em6910's have experienced some em0480 issues. my sister went and bought the breville unit recently and says it is a fantastic grinder.

Parents em0480 is not grinding properly, so I will be giving them mine once I find a mazzer or macap to match the machine. I'm between a rock & a hard place trying to work out which is 'better' (suited) to my needs. At this stage I think i might be looking for an M5 - just to be different. I do love the super jolly though, and if I owned one i'd get rid of the huge hopper and replace it with a smaller glass one.

Thanks for the compliments, I enjoyed the resto.

I might even think about doing this for a living… j/k.

Comment

After a few more adjustments to pressure and volume, I have got the buttons callibrated to where I want them for my usage. However despite the hot water volume being correct, I feel that the tempering valve is delivering too much cold water into the stream and as a result I am getting hot water temps in the vicinity of 60ºC which is about 32ºC below where I would like it to be.

There are no missing parts from the delivery lines etc, so I am thinking it needs a manual valve or restrictor placed in the ¼" line after the cold water solenoid??? Boiler pressure is a steady 1.2-1.35 bar, so I'm wondering how one would tackle this issue? any ideas or advice appreciated.

TIA

Comment

When you replaced the solenoids it looks like you didn't replace like for like - in your set of pics the original mixer solenoid valves that bypass water past the heat exchangers have been replaced with ones that don't have the adjusters on them - have you done the same with the cold water solenoid?

Comment

Since I've been in hospital for the last week, (breaking my neck to get out of here) the coffee machine has only been used my my other half. She says it's making great espresso. She doesn't use the hot water. She's pretty fussy so Thats an OK score in my books.

MorganGT, I will investigate and get back to you. The solenoid you are referring to is in this pic and i still have it. The other 2 you are referring to are simply different mounts (lucifer) Which Pedro substituted as he had run out of stock on the part I had. It is the same however. Just upside down.

I'll investigate the tempering solenoid when I get out of here. Thanks for the 2nd pair of eyes.

Comment

Well Disappointment yesterday morning -

got out of bed went upstairs to turn the Raff on, and nada. zip. zero. squat.

A green light, but no pump, no relay click, no led's on the program buttons. hmmm.

of course the next thoughts didn't even register on the brain, they simply bypassed the nerve centre and went straight to the vocal chords….

FFFFFFFUUUuuuUUUUuUu…………… KKKKKK

It was like an angry me falling from the top of the coathanger.

well I guess it would be easy for many of you to imagine how miffed I was not being able to make my morning demitasse.

So after a brief calming period and a cup of tea (ugh) off comes the lid - and I see the front of the control box resting on the end of the boiler. It's fallen off the rest of the unit, which is still securely fastened to the mount on the side of the machine.
                              Hmm. Maybe it's just a loose connection.

I decide to pull the control unit out and investigate. nothing looks awry. In fact it all looks very much OK. Fuse in tact and all…

So…. I guess it's time to investigate.

This morning I rang Marcello @ coffeeparts, and he put me straight on to Salvatore & George @ ECA. Salvatore was helpful, and though George was busy, he said he would get Goerge to call me back.

So now I sit, thinking… Do I pull this thing down and rebuild it, or buy a new unit...

Pics added to flickr thread (@ bottom)

ECM Raffaello Megaline A2 Restoration - a set on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X