Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats a good used two group for home use ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats a good used two group for home use ?

Hello CS'rs

Looking for some feedback regarding a two group machine for home use

I'm interested what others have used or are using

Something under 3K with good temp stability

Any recommendations ?

Thanks in advance.

I must admit my first thought was why would you need a 2 group for domestic use?

I would think that you would be struggling to get any new 2 group machine for under $3000

Comment

Advice on a pre-loved for 3K not a new machine.

Originally posted by don_nairn View Post
      I must admit my first thought was why would you need a 2 group for domestic use?

I would think that you would be struggling to get any new 2 group machine for under $3000

Comment

Agreed- I can cater for 20pax easily with my one group.

I'd be getting a new $3k prosumer machine rather than a clapped out ex cafe one....

Comment

You can pick up a good second hand, one or two group machine; at a very reasonable price. 2 groups are not very popular for domestic purposes, and can be picked up quite cheaply. I bought a 1 group commercial a few years ago, had it serviced and it worked very well for many years. It had seen little use, and this was clearly evident. Friends of mine have also picked up similar machines for home and office purposes. Quite a few establishments obtain a coffee machine, thinking it is the road to riches. After a while they see the light, or the business changes hands, and the machine gets sold. Usually at a low price. They are great workhorses.
          You can buy good units like this, but you have to search for them. As the above post stated, there are many clapped out ex cafe units in the wild. Look for signs of wear and tear. Good luck in your search. Do not forget that WA water has a horrible effect on coffee machines, so the chances of scale being present is very real. Try and look for a machine in the Eastern states.

As to brands, that is difficult to recommend. When you find a unit, speak to a service agent for prices on parts etc.
          Do not dismiss the Ozzie Boema, units made in the last decade or so, are very temp stable, and perfect as an office machine.

Comment

No full size 2 group machine is "suitable for home use", the very first thing to notice is most are 15 amp, and some are 20 amp.

Slow heat up time for home use etc. Not suitable.

If you must have a 2 group at home, suggest a "compact" sized machine. They have smaller boilers, usually only 1 steam arm instead of 2 (not a problem in home use), and are usually 10 amp so will plug straight in (as long as you dont run something else on the same circuit at the same time to trip circuit breakler).

They're not common, but correspondingly they are also not rare. you just need to bide your time until something comes up.

As others have said, far better to spend similar money on a new semi commercial for your home use and have the benefit of a nice new machine, working properly straight up (ie not needing to be sorted), plus guarantee (and no inherited scale problem for machines sourced from WA).

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replys

Could always add another silvia on the bench, that would give two groups and make it easier to push out multiple milk drinks

Comment

Originally posted by Cadan View Post
                Thanks everyone for the replys

Could always add another silvia on the bench, that would give two groups and make it easier to push out multiple milk drinks
                If you are looking to make milk drinks, then a prosumer HX beats the idea of having two Silvias on the bench IMO.

There are plenty out there. Anyone I know who has had both wishes they had just skipped the Silvia step in the upgrade process. YMMV.

Comment

Totally agree. Having recently upgraded from a Silvia to a HX it can deliver the same amount of milk coffees as a Silvia in less than half the time.

4 Milk based coffees on a Silvia is probably 15-20mins. I can do this in about 7 mins on my HX.

Comment

[QUOTE=krusty182;496770]If you are looking to make milk drinks, then a prosumer HX beats the idea of having two Silvias on the bench IMO.

There are plenty out there. Anyone I know who has had both wishes they had just skipped the Silvia step in the upgrade process. YMMV.[/QUOTE

True I sold my Minore IV earlier this year and moved down the silvia to fill the space till my next machine, so just trowing a few ideas about

My first time with the silvia and it is a fantastic machine , just a bit slow if you want to make a couple of large take out coffees ,Soooo many options out there

Comment

Working...
                    X