Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocket Porta Filter Handle Removal

Hi all,

I have a friend with a wood lathe and have been toying with the idea of making wooden handles for my existing Giotto porta filters to replace the stock black plastic handle.
    How does one remove the plastic handle from the porta filter?
    I have an old VBM one and the handle simply unscrews, but the Rocket ones don't seem to budge.
    Any ideas?

Depends on type of handle. Some are as you found with vbm, others have a stud that you undo, gaining access from under the end cover at the end of the handle.

Likely yours is as per vbm type, but how easy it is to remove is dependent on the age and use. Some factories use heavy grade loktite so may be hard to undo from new OR, if the machine is old enough and enough water, back flushing detergent etc has gotten in to the steel stud between the plastic handle and the chrome plated brass "group cup", then the stud will be rusting into place inside the brass.

Either way it would require use of a vice to grip well, and some persuasion.

Comment

Thanks,
      I've already removed the chrome cover at the end of the handle hoping to find a nut but there is nothing so I guess it is a job for the vice and some brute force.

Comment

Originally posted by fg1972 View Post
        Thanks,
        I've already removed the chrome cover at the end of the handle hoping to find a nut but there is nothing so I guess it is a job for the vice and some brute force.
        Old thread but how did you go removing the plastic handle? Did it screw off eventually? Did you end up making replacement wooden ones? I really like the idea.

Comment

No, I didn't persist with getting the handle off. Will do it one day.

Comment

Comment

No, I didn't persist with getting the handle off. Will do it one day.
              A drop of penetrene each day for a week will nuke loctite and remove corrosion probs. Note: I am assuming it unscrews. The noidle method seems a little extreme if you want to keep using it.

TampIt

Comment

Got the handle off finally.
                Initially tried putting the portafilter in the vise using all my strength to unscrew the handle which didn't budge. Then tried multi grip pliers which kept slipping.
                Finally found a 14mm allen key to insert into the end of the handle and got it off.
                There was heaps of locktite.

Comment

how did you do it

Got the handle off finally.
                  Initially tried putting the portafilter in the vise using all my strength to unscrew the handle which didn't budge. Then tried multi grip pliers which kept slipping.
                  Finally found a 14mm allen key to insert into the end of the handle and got it off.
                  There was heaps of locktite.
                  hi there,
                  how did you remove it? did you pull it out or you unscrew it?
                  i tried to dip the rocket portafilter into a bowl of how water, hoping the glue will soften and I will be able to pull or unscrew it. But it just wont budge.
                  can you guide me how did you do it?
                  you said you used 14mm allen key? where did you insert it into?

Comment

Originally posted by siendy View Post
                    hi there,
                    how did you remove it? did you pull it out or you unscrew it?
                    i tried to dip the rocket portafilter into a bowl of how water, hoping the glue will soften and I will be able to pull or unscrew it. But it just wont budge.
                    can you guide me how did you do it?
                    you said you used 14mm allen key? where did you insert it into?
                    Hi,
                    There should be a chrome cap at the end of the handle which can be removed to then insert the allen key.

Comment

I bought a Pullman portafilter handle a while back and had the same issue.

ie: could not separate the stock portafilter handle from the portafilter body.

In the end I left the stock pf as is, and bought a new portafilter body and spouts to attach to the Pullman handle.

Comment

I used my heat gun from my corretto roasting setup to heat the portafilter head. I did this at the point the head inserts into the handle. You need to be careful not to melt the handle. The handle came off pretty easily after about 15 seconds of heating at high temp. Just be careful to use heat proof gloves to hold the portafilter when unscrewing the handle.

Comment

Hi,
                          There should be a chrome cap at the end of the handle which can be removed to then insert the allen key.
                          Tried to open the end of the handle where the chrome cap is.
                          Bhamm.. nothing there, just a plastic injection point inside the chrome cap.
                          I think i have to try using the heat gun. Coz i tried dipping the portafilter into boiling water before tried to turn it. But still wont budge

Comment

The Allen head bolt should be all the way down the handle near the portafilter. The heat gun option seems like a good idea too if you don't have the right sized Allen key.

Comment

I also need to remove the handles soon in preparation for some wooden handles, will try with a heat gun this weekend. I don't have a vice to hold it down so will try a thick towel and holding it to prevent burning myself.

There is no allen key screw under the silver cap cover.

Comment

Working...
                              X