ecm giotto overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ecm giotto overheating

my ecm giotto has a overheating problem,i have had it repaired for another problem and it received a new element, pressure stat ,safety valve and the peice that controls the water flow,so its had a few things done to it when i got it back it started to overheat and blew pressure out one of the nuts on the copper pipes as the safety valve was not working the person that fixed it came over changed the safety valve and another pressure-stat and everything seemed ok but it wasn't long before it started overheating again this time the safety valve is working,i turned down the pressure-stat screw to 1.2 bar on gauge which worked ok for a bit but now its just got worse to the point of doing it all the time instead of now and then,i will be ringing up the tech that fixed it but i thought i might run it past the numerous experts on this forum for anything else it could be.Kevin

Originally posted by kevtrans59 View Post
    my ecm giotto has a overheating problem,i have had it repaired for another problem and it received a new element, pressure stat ,safety valve and the peice that controls the water flow,so its had a few things done to it when i got it back it started to overheat and blew pressure out one of the nuts on the copper pipes as the safety valve was not working the person that fixed it came over changed the safety valve and another pressure-stat and everything seemed ok but it wasn't long before it started overheating again this time the safety valve is working,i turned down the pressure-stat screw to 1.2 bar on gauge which worked ok for a bit but now its just got worse to the point of doing it all the time instead of now and then,i will be ringing up the tech that fixed it but i thought i might run it past the numerous experts on this forum for anything else it could be.Kevin
    Hi Kevin,

This is not normal and needs to be attended to as a matter of urgency.

My initial thoughts are that there is possibly a blockage in the tube which leads to the pressurestat- perhaps some scale has moved?

If the pressurestat was replaced with a Mater or Campini, it may be worth looking at an alternative. We have recently had a terrible run with domestic pressurestats- such that we are now using only one which seems reliable- Expobar. We have a bin full of brand new and near new duds. Where possible, we replace domestic with commercial these days.

I hope you can be up and running reliably and soon. No coffee is a dealbreaker!

Chris

Comment

yup, my money would be on another faulty pressurestat, I have come to the same conclusion. It's expobar, sirai or bust.

Comment

thanks it had me buggered even after the pressure-stat was changed and it was updated, to have them both faulty didn't seem possible so expobar is the way to go, can i buy one somewhere or can only a tech get his hands on one ,much appreciate the advice. Kevin

Comment

Hi Kevin, the pressurestat is available from Bombora, part no. 541684. But, it would be ill advised to replace the pressurestat on the basis that it's the most likely culprit - I'd be following up with the tech that repaired it previously, then going elsewhere for a second opinion if you have no joy there.

Comment

OK thank you, what else do you think that it could be don the tech that fixed it gave me a pretty good lesson on the workings of a hx as i have learnt a fair bit just recently with this machine and what i read on here and the pressure stat controls what it is doing, is there any other thing that could cause it, i have checked the pipe blockage is was the first thing i checked when it first started doing it when i got it back,and it only started doing this after it came back form repairs where the pressure-stat was replaced.Kevin .

Comment

Hi
              I'm new here but have just recently stripped my Giotto because of the same problem (at least my pressure relief works). Was going to buy & install a new pressure stat but whilst I had the sides off I disconnected the piping to the pressure stat, cleaned the pipe & the pressure stat (Also the pipes to the hot water wand as I had to replace the hot water valve). Also cleaned the connector for the temp sensor as this had a build up on it. In all this cured the problem enough to keep the machine going, I get some fluctuation but don't go above 1.5bar (usually sits on 1- 1.2bar); will still buy a new pressure stat but currently at least I can use the machine.

So, maybe some obstruction is causing your problem. Could be some plumbers tape that has blocked the pressure stat hole or pipe, an electrical connection that is not correct or corroded. If you do have the machine apart check the wiring to to both the pressurestat & the temp sensor. Also, give the copper pipes a good clean internally.

Cheers
              Peter

Comment

thanks peter i have fixed it i took the plunge and went ahead and brought the pressure stat that was recommended and it fixed it ,it is running as good or better than it ever was i highly recommend that you buy the same pressure stat, it makes a world of difference, i went through all the other things that you said to do when it first started playing up i stripped it right down to take out the boiler and cleaned it out as well as the pipes it did need it ,alls good now and were back to a1 coffee a big thank you to everyone who helped with advice it is much appreciated.cheers. kevin

Comment

Working...
                X