Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Expobar Minore II repair

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Expobar Minore II repair

    Hi fellow snobs,

    The PID on my 3 year old Minore II stopped working not long ago. The LEDs don't light up, the group head doesn't get hot, but I can still get steam and hot water. On the off chance that a cable has come lose, I opened her up to take a look, only to discover the machine is not exactly hacker friendly

    I'm not sure if it's the PID itself or something else, but wondered if this is a common problem with a common solution that I can perform myself, or am I best off taking her to the mechanics?

    I'm a confident tinkerer of most things electronic and mechanical, but realise that sometimes it's better to just pay a professional.

    Thanks in advance for access to your collective minds,
    Ben

  • #2
    Hi Ben,

    Has your machine got the Gicar PID with the two chrome buttons on either side of the display or the older controller with the three small buttons to the right? Most likely its the transformer on the controller PCB that is defective. I have the Gicar PIDs in stock, happy to send it out or do the work if you're in Melbourne, PM or email me for more info if you like.

    Cheers, Rick

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi Rick,

      It's the "Gicar PID with the two chrome buttons on either side of the display."

      Cheers,
      Ben

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by coffee_machinist View Post
        I have the Gicar PIDs in stock, happy to send it out or do the work if you're in Melbourne, PM or email me for more info if you like.

        Cheers, Rick
        Rick, I have a Minore III and the PID's display is now faulty. Ie: Doesn't actually display the temp properly. The machine works perfectly otherwise. Should I replace the display? How much are they?

        Thanks!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Hmm thats odd. Never seen a faulty display before. So the display is garbled? Or off completely? If so are you sure the coffee boiler is still heating? Have sent you a PM with details.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hey All, I am experiencing the same problem.

            My readout is completely blank, and the brew temperature is way too cold. However the Milk and hot water temperature is fine.

            I am guessing the PID is gone and therefore it is using some default temperature for the brew temp.

            I have left a message with the local repair people, but I like to be as informed as possible Is there anything else I could look at to help diagnose?

            Cheers

            Glyn

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by coffee_machinist View Post
              Hmm thats odd. Never seen a faulty display before. So the display is garbled? Or off completely? If so are you sure the coffee boiler is still heating? Have sent you a PM with details.
              Garbled. Sorry, missed your post as I gave up on it. Not economical is fix.

              Comment


              • #8
                Only 3 years old? Where did you buy it from? I'd advise contacting them who may then be able to contact the manufacturer in regards to getting it repaired or replaced.
                As a consumer, you have many rights these days. One of them is expected product longevity. You would "expect" (I assume) that a machine this expensive would last you longer than 3 years thus you want it repaired or replaced.

                It's worth a shot, if you want it fixed that is. You might have to contribute a bit towards the repair/replacement cost but nothing close. to the cost of a new machine.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I've been through all that and even the distributer didn't want to know about it.

                  What you're referring to is what is called "Implied Warranty". Basically means you pay a certain price so there is a reasonable expectation for something to be done outside of a given warranty period.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BeanMonkey View Post
                    I've been through all that and even the distributer didn't want to know about it.

                    What you're referring to is what is called "Implied Warranty". Basically means you pay a certain price so there is a reasonable expectation for something to be done outside of a given warranty period.
                    FWIW, it doesn't seem like a major repair to me and certainly would not consign a machine to the tip for the price of a PID. No Minore II is 3 years old though.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Mine is a lll and I'm not throwing mine out as it works perfectly.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X