Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Water & Steam wand on Giotto classic

Hi All
    I have an ECM Giotto that was purchased around 9yrs ago. Still working very well. It's the classic, water & steam wands only spin on one axis, round pressure guage & wire drip tray grid.

I am looking at replacing the steam & hot water valve (& wands) to what is used on the newer machines. What is involved in doing this? I think that apart from the newer valves & wands there may be a little pipe work that needs to be modified, is there anything else that I need to consider before I embark on this?

Many thanks
    Peter

Originally posted by Ozklee View Post
    Hi All
    I have an ECM Giotto that was purchased around 9yrs ago. Still working very well. It's the classic, water & steam wands only spin on one axis, round pressure guage & wire drip tray grid.

I am looking at replacing the steam & hot water valve (& wands) to what is used on the newer machines. What is involved in doing this? I think that apart from the newer valves & wands there may be a little pipe work that needs to be modified, is there anything else that I need to consider before I embark on this?

Many thanks
    Peter
    Hello Peter,

You will need valves, pipework and a new front panel for the machine- as there will be two large holes left by the original valves. You would then need the gauge from a premium or a premium plus as well to suit the front panel. Regardless, it still wouldn't make a premium or premium plus as there are tank differences as well.

My advice? Let it go or move to a new machine. You would be spending significant $$$$ which would represent much of the value of a 10 year old machine.

Chris
    Last edited by TC; 9 May 2013, 05:43 PM. Reason: more info added

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
      Hello Peter,

You will need valves, pipework and a new front panel for the machine- as there will be two large holes left by the original valves. You would then need the gauge from a premium or a premium plus as well to suit the front panel. Regardless, it still wouldn't make a premium or premium plus as there are tank differences as well.

My advice? Let it go or move to a new machine. You would be spending significant $$$$ which would represent much of the value of a 10 year old machine.

Chris
      Thanks for the quick reply, I wasn't really trying to turn it into a premium plus. As you rightly mention better to buy a new machine.
      Do I need to replace the guage? the reason for changing the valves is so that I don't have to replace the entire spindle (shaft) next time the water starts to drip. Even though I don't over tighten the taps when they are turned off others in our house tend to use a little too much force when closing the valve. on the classic the entire shaft has to be replaced as the teflon seal (part of the shaft) at the end gets compressed & loses it's sealing function.

I also like the extra movement in the later wands. Would more that likely plug the holes that are left after the change.

Cheers
      Peter

Comment

Fair enough.

You'd probably need to factor in a few hundred in parts.

The result if the front panel wasn't changed would be less attractive to a potential purchaser if/when you sell.

Comment

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
          X