Entrusting movers to move my precious machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entrusting movers to move my precious machine

In a few months time I'll be moving back to Australia from Hong Kong and using an international mover (Allied Pickfords, Wridgways or similar) to move all my stuff. Now while I'm sure they are used to moving televisions, glassware and vases without breaking them, I am most worried about entrusting them with my Giotto Rocket Premium Plus and Mazzer Mini-E.

Can anyone advise:

1. What should I do to prepare the Giotto for transport? I have read that I need to drain the boiler. Is this just a matter of leaving the hot water tap and the grouphead open until they run out? I have a feeling it will be more complicated than that. My Giotto is the tank kind not the plumbed in kind.

2. What about the Mazzer? Just a matter of opening the burrs as far as possible?

3. Stupidly I threw away the original packaging for both machines after I bought them. I know, I know. Any advice for protective packaging? I'm sure the mover will have some suggestions but I doubt they have to pack too many espresso machines in Hong Kong.

4. I know they provide insurance (for a handsome fee) but does anyone have any advice on dealing with movers in this regard? Basically I want to make sure that if they do break it, they have to cover me for the cost of buying a replacement machine in Australia (which will be more than my machine cost in HK).

Any advice is appreciated.

To empty the boiler when the machine is up to operating pressure, turn it off and open the hot water tap. You'll need a 2 litres jug to catch the water but it should drain almost to empty. If you forget to turn it off it will auto refill.

That's all I can help you with, wrap it well!

Comment

Originally posted by LionelHutz View Post
      4. I know they provide insurance (for a handsome fee) but does anyone have any advice on dealing with movers in this regard? Basically I want to make sure that if they do break it, they have to cover me for the cost of buying a replacement machine in Australia (which will be more than my machine cost in HK).

Any advice is appreciated.
      The Packers (or you) should prepare a detailed packing list itemizing each significant individual unit with a value assigned to each.
      Make sure the value assigned to the Giotto is what the replacement cost is.
      Be aware though,.."Replacement cost" values may well ramp up your shipping insurance premium.
      Also, if you pack it yourself, whilst the chances of damage may be less, you may have to take responsibility for any shipping damage to that item. ! ..Catch 22 !!

Comment

Something I have found works, is offer the packers a coffee each around smoko. Boosts morale, and often they pack better (take more care). Similar to putting on beers at the end of the day. Costs not much

Comment

Do packers in Hong Kong have "Smoko " ??

Comment

If it was me...

I would undo the lowest fitting on the boiler and let it drain. Then I would remove the Giotto drip tray, lid, group handle(s) and wrap them separately. The machine I would wrap in a soft blanket (to stop rubbing during transport) then suspend it in a box of styrene/foam (to reduce impact). It should be fine.

The grinder hopper I would pack in the middle of a box. The grinder wrapped in a blanket inside a box should freight ok.

Mark both boxes with "bloody heavy and breakable" in Chinese and English. ;-)

I think your biggest risk is scratching the surfaces while vibrating around during transit, cover them well and trust the removalists to not play footy with them and you should be fine.

Of course "plan B" depending on how much stuff you have accumulated is to get your own 20' shipping container and fill it. Container rates to Australia are not "that" much and if you can pack one yourself and lock the doors it should arrive in much the same condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
              .....I would undo the lowest fitting on the boiler and let it drain.
              How to do that again? Where can I find the "lowest fitting on the boiler"?

Thanks,
              HH

Comment

Working...
              X