Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think I want an Expobar Minore but am I crazy ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think I want an Expobar Minore but am I crazy ?

Hi.

I really enjoy my coffee but I don't end up often making a lot of coffee at home. I love the ritual of manual style coffee making and I do know some of the basics....

I do two in the morning normally and thats it (for home making) On the weekend I do 4-6 each day. Some days during the week I might do more, but usually I won't if I'm working.

I have owned a Saeco Venazio and recently had a Kitchen Aid that has now got a blown bolier. I also have a kitchen aid grinder.

I have a friend that has a Expobar Minore and I was always so impressed by the coffee's he was able to make with it. He also has an Ibertial (sp?) grinder.

So I'm prepared to spend that kind of cash on a coffee machine, but I'm not sure if that's the *best* one for me. It seems it's really good for doing a consistent temperature ? I like that it doesn't seem to be huge (it won't be plumbed in). Is there anything else I should consider ? Or at this kind of price range are they all kind of the same in terms of what they deliver and it comes down to size and visual aesthetic ?

Am i crazy to buy a machine like this for mostly two coffee's a day ?

I also think my grinder isn't quite up to it as I found that it never seemed to be fine enough for the kitchen Aid machine I have. My partner doesn't mind the look of the Minore but she's hated every grinder I've shown her. She's not interested in having it on the bench ! ANything else I should look at in a more funky looking grinder design ? Or am I having to hide it in a cupboard and bring it out to grind ?

Thanks and appreciate the time for you to consider my novice questions.

jb

hi JB,

I also had a Kitchenaide which died the day I was picking up my Expobar Minore. To me this is a simple reply to what you are asking. Just buy one if thats what you want, if you end up making more coffees than you do already thats a good thing. I found a big difference between the kitchenade and the Minore. So natrually i ended up making more and more coffee.

I have not had one problem with my Expobar, its reliable, always produces a good coffee and it looks like on the bench. I will say this though and its only an opinion but here goes. If you do get one, I would consider upgrading the grinder, you will find the kitchenaide grinder may hold you back. Something like a smart grinder or if you are willing to spend a little more a Compak k3, which i invested in like many others on coffee snobs.

Get one or something similar you wont be dissapointed!!

Comment

Originally posted by coffeechris View Post
      hi JB,
      its only an opinion but here goes. If you do get one, I would consider upgrading the grinder

This isn't just your opinion - it's a widely held expert opinion which has been repeated so many times that it's hard to understand how anybody could miss it.
      For the OP, the type of grinder that really is needed isn't likely to be small enough to be conveniently lifted and hidden out of sight in a cupboard.
      Expobar Minore are frequently sold in package deals with grinders such as Mazzer Mini, Macap M4 etc. for a reason.
      If the OP's wife was to see/feel/use a grinder of this class, then "sticker shock" may be diminished, and an appreciation gained for the beauty of quality design.

Comment

Nah, you're not crazy..............we are all crazy :-). I make no more coffees per day than you except when we have guests and I have a Rocket Evo and Macap M4D. Is that excessive???.... depends who you talk to. Is 12k excessive for a bicycle??? I don't think so :-). If you can justify it to yourself [and SHMBO] do it as no one else really matters. I enjoy showing off my coffee toys to "other lovers of fine coffee."

Steve

Comment

You've certainly come to the right place to have your purchase thoughts affirmed. I recently upgraded from a basic consumer machine/grinder to a good quality HX and Mazzer Mini E and it's made a huge difference. I consider coffee to be a hobby... my wife is thankful that fast cars are not a hobby of mine!

Comment

Originally posted by brawlster View Post
            I also think my grinder isn't quite up to it as I found that it never seemed to be fine enough for the kitchen Aid machine I have. My partner doesn't mind the look of the Minore but she's hated every grinder I've shown her. She's not interested in having it on the bench ! ANything else I should look at in a more funky looking grinder design ? Or am I having to hide it in a cupboard and bring it out to grind ?
            Aesthetically different grinder designs:

- K3touch in polished
            - anfim best

the kitchenaid is 2 gaggia classic's in the same box, right?

Comment

Hi.

Thanks to all for taking the time to get back to me. I guess i wasn't worried about spending that kind of cash, more that the expobar was going to be a good machine for an occasional part time drinker like me.

I guess it is because I went and bought one yesterday !

It really is a beats and I've been doing some OK coffees, but I've been burning through the free beans I got with it and I'm not that familiar with them so it's hard to gauge. I'll be back on my preferred and familiar blend today so we'll see.

Still only got the kitchenaid grinder, but my partner dind't mind the look of the Mazzer mini they had there so that's promising. I'll let the Minore settle in first !

One thing that did throw me and almost had me decide not to buy was the shop assistant's insistence that I use filtered water. I'm renting where I am and she seemed to be saying that I might as well not buy the machine as it would be impossible to clean. I happened to have the wholesalers number from speaking to him earlier in the week about chasing who had stock so I rang him outside the store and he told me that in Sydney where I live it shouldn't be a problem for some time, and that it would be something that could be taken care of during a regular service cycle. He said filtered water was more important for taste than internal service issues.

Anyhow I went ahead anyway and I hope it doesn't turn into a disaster.

I noticed the machine has a *softening* filter already fitted on the water intake as well.

Thanks all again and appreciate the encouragement.

jb

Comment

Well down brawlster. Hope you enjoy the new machine.

FWIW, we agree that some level of filtration is pretty much universally appropriate, even if only to remove rubbish from water.

If you ultimately pay for a couple of descales to be done on the Minore, you may well find that you reconsider in light of the account if the job is correctly done as it will take substantial time to do properly. Here's our take on the whole filtration debate.

Comment

Enjoy your purchase, I got one in April and I've developed a new habit of making coffee when I get home from work.

I purchased a second steam tip with 2 x ~1mm holes as I found the stock tip with 2 x 1.5mm holes too powerful for steaming small quantities of milk. If I'm doing a big batch I'll put the stock tip in.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidK View Post
                    Enjoy your purchase, I got one in April and I've developed a new habit of making coffee when I get home from work.

I purchased a second steam tip with 2 x ~1mm holes as I found the stock tip with 2 x 1.5mm holes too powerful for steaming small quantities of milk. If I'm doing a big batch I'll put the stock tip in.
                    I know what you mean about the habit of coming home from work and making a coffee. Mine hasn't missed a beat since i got it a few years back..

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                      Here's our take on the whole filtration debate.
                      Bumping this old thread having just read that helpful article.

Good tip to occasionally use the hot water tap. Especially as tea is to many coffee drinkers as cats are to dog owners.

Any idea whether a Zip Hydrotap provides effective defence against scale? It's a pretty serious filter with boiling and chilled water. I typically use the chilled water for my machines.

The presence of always-on boiled water was a further reason I never used the hot water tap on the machine, apparently to my own boiler's peril.

Comment

Working...
                      X