Suggestions for coffee cart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for coffee cart

Hi guys, looking at setting up coffee cart and looking for suggestions as to a decent commercial machine single group. Would probably try but second hand as this will be a on the side business/hobby not looking to make a living out of it. My wife said to use my vbm junior but I don't think it would handle it. Plus this would prevent me from having a second toy to play with .
    Cheers
    Phill

I suppose it depends on how many coffees you are likely to do.

certainly it seems sensible to use the equipment you have initially.

after all after 2-3 sessions you will have a lot more idea what you NEED (what you want is different)

equally if after 2-3 sessions you decide it is not for you you have minimised your risk.

Comment

Hey Philby, great to hear you are setting up your own cart!

In my opinion you will be able to get better value for money buying a second hand two group machine without spending much more than you would on a one group. This will future proof you to some extent and give you the ability to make more than one cup at a time. I would search commercial coffee machines on the usual auction and trading sites and then sought by price and see what appears in your price bracket.

Good luck

Daz

ps. sorry for not actually answering the question

Comment

How do you plan on powering said coffee cart?

Comment

Thanks guys,
          Going to do it bit by bit, get machine, build cart or source cheap second hand one, then save for good grinder. Got a compak touch with my home machine which would do the trick until I saved for a doser (prob a mazzer of some sort). At first will power from electric outlet and look at getting generator at later date if I find I need it. Was thinking the single group machine would have better chance of being lower amps as not many places have 20 amp.

This will be a now and then thing, odd market and party's or function. Got young kids so won't be every weekend.

Comment

Hi Philby1981, if you decide to build your own cart, do check council approval conditions such as hand wash sink, stainless steel working surface etc etc, all the best with the venture!

Comment

Well, slowly tinkering away building my own. Will post pics when done but have the body finish boards ordered and the bench top ready to put in after they arrive. Have decided against single group now and have found a local guy selling a bezerra b2009 that had had it 2 years and only used it in office of 5-10 employees and now at his home so no real commercial use. Having a look this weekend but looking like I could get it for $1500. I think it will keep up fine as I'm not anticipating massive crowds around here. At such times I have the time to go bigger and set up for larger events etc ill upgrade. So far so good on council regs. Going to organise for them to inspect once I'm finished but have their requirements I'm adhering to.
              Enjoying this little ride

Comment

Originally posted by Philby1981 View Post
                ..... have found a local guy selling a bezerra b2009 that had had it 2 years and only used it in office of 5-10 employees and now at his home so no real commercial use. Having a look this weekend but looking like I could get it for $1500..
                Please research and know exactly what that bezzera is before you commit.
                I am not aware of a Bezzera BZ009
                I think you will find, (if it is a BZ 09) that it is a base model, single boiler , NON HX, domestic machine. and as such far from ideal for any kind of continuous use.
                And , if you shop around you can buy a new one for < $1200 !!

Comment

Bezzera B2009 it is
                  http://bezzeracoffeemachine.com.au/p.../bezzera-b2009

That's the machine here:

Comment

If "that's the machine", then as I see it, you can't go wrong and at $1500 you'll handle all the coffees needed for a cart set up.
                    Good luck, have fun and enjoy the "venture".

Comment

Looks like a great machine for a cart, nice high groups too (which you will need with takeaway cups).

Was thinking the single group machine would have better chance of being lower amps as not many places have 20 amp

Now you are looking at a 15amp machine and might run into the same problem. Might be worth talking to a espresso mechanic to see if you can either disconnect part of the element or replace the element with a lower wattage one. Downside is the machine will take a little longer to recover but the upside is that with a good quality lead you can run it everywhere for the annual events (school fete, church hall, footy club etc etc).
                      ...or just get a bigger generator and know you have the oomph.

Enjoy the project, should be fun and low risk at those prices.

Comment

Thanks guys, another option has just come up for boema deluxe. It's 3 years older than the bezzera but not compact and $500 cheaper. The cheaper price not a real big issue but would it be better to go with bezzera still? As I understand its a better brand?

Comment

Working...
                        X