Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rocket Giotto - did my steam valve must die?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocket Giotto - did my steam valve must die?

Hi all,

Went to make my morning coffee, turned the steam valve on my Premium Plus and was rewarded with a loud "thunk" and no steam. The knob now simply unscrews instead of turning anything.

I'm guessing the valve just died?

And can anyone recommend a repairer to the south of Melbourne, Mornington Peninsula area? I got the machine from Chris at Talk Coffee but just wondering if there's anyone closer to me.

Cheers
    Jeff K

Hi Jeff,

Sounds like 2 possible things to me...

1. Take the metal cover off the steam handle. Check that the circlip that attaches it hasn't broken or fallen off.
    2. The thunk may be a stick anti-vac valve. The machine would normally then recover pressure after this happens.

Morning peninsula? 'Fraid I can't recommend anyone

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by jeffk View Post
      Hi all,

Went to make my morning coffee, turned the steam valve on my Premium Plus and was rewarded with a loud "thunk" and no steam. The knob now simply unscrews instead of turning anything.

And can anyone recommend a repairer to the south of Melbourne, Mornington Peninsula area? I got the machine from Chris at Talk Coffee but just wondering if there's anyone closer to me.

Cheers
      Jeff K

If you lift the chrome dome off the knob (slide your fingernail under to pull it out) just check to see that a circlip hasn't popped off the end of the shaft going in to the valve. If so, then it could be a simple job to re-fit the circlip. From your description, it sounds like this could be the problem. The valve shaft doesn't turn (non-compression type valve). The knob "unscrews" from the valve body - and pulls/lifts the valve shaft out to open the valve.

Edit - Oops - snap with talk-coffee reply above.
      My guess though is the "thunk" was when the circlip fell off.

Comment

Thanks guys, the machine is working fine other than the steam valve so I'll take a look at the circlip. Otherwise, I'll organise taking it to Chris. It's probably due a service anyway.

~Jeff K

Comment

It was the circlip. Looking at the back of the valve on the hot water arm, there seems to be a flange on it that would stop the circlip coming off that isn't on the steam valve. Not sure if that's normal? Anyway, it's holding for the moment but if it comes off again, I'll organise bringing it over to Chris for a look-see. It's probably due a service in any event.

Thanks for the help! One caffein withdrawal disaster averted :-)

~Jeff K

Comment

It was the circlip. Looking at the back of the valve on the hot water arm, there seems to be a flange on it that would stop the circlip coming off that isn't on the steam valve. Not sure if that's normal? Anyway, it's holding for the moment but if it comes off again, I'll organise bringing it over to Chris for a look-see. It's probably due a service in any event.

Thanks for the help! One caffein withdrawal disaster averted :-)

~Jeff K

It surprises me that the steam and hot water valve/knob assembly appear to be different. I thought they are the same.
            Once the knob is on the valve body, there should be a brass spacer - flanged end towards the valve - then a small washer, then the cir-clip.

Comment

Yes, I'd have expected them to be same too - but I have an extra bit, almost like a small washer, that I think may have broken off the end of the valve shaft. The steam valve doesn't look anything the same at the end. In any event, it's not holding so I'll contact Chris and get it repaired.

Comment

Steam knob just unscrews

Hi all,

Cheers
                Jeff K
                Mine just did the same thing. The problem is the shaft where the cir-clip goes sheared off on the end. It looks like over time the cir-clip has worn through the brass shaft and sheared it off. I had a group of friends coming around for coffee so I simply swapped the hot water tap for the steam tap to get things going again until I can replace the valve assembly. Looks like a design flaw as the clip does cut into the shaft if it rotates with the knob and the shaft doesn't . I'll add a bit of Inox to the clip so at least there is lube to slow down the wear.

Dex

Comment

Originally posted by dex View Post
                  Mine just did the same thing. The problem is the shaft where the cir-clip goes sheared off on the end. It looks like over time the cir-clip has worn through the brass shaft and sheared it off. I had a group of friends coming around for coffee so I simply swapped the hot water tap for the steam tap to get things going again until I can replace the valve assembly. Looks like a design flaw as the clip does cut into the shaft if it rotates with the knob and the shaft doesn't . I'll add a bit of Inox to the clip so at least there is lube to slow down the wear.

Dex
                  Just happened to me too!

Giotto Premium Plus bought from Talk Coffee in 2009. First issue I've had, so no complaints.

Can anyone advise where I can get the replacement part?

It is called the steam valve rod/stem, and I think the part number is R229905177, but I can't find an Australian supplier.

Pic of broken stem attached, along with the hot water valve which is in good nick.
                  Attached Files

Comment

If your original retailer can't supply it try the quote form at the bottom of the page.

Comment

My machine is up and running smoothly again!

For future reference, the part number is R229905177, and I sourced it from Espresso Company Australia.

The stem is 73mm long in my Giotto PP - apparently they come in 2 different lengths.

I think anyone with access to a tap and die set could "repair" the old stem by putting a thread on the end of the stem and using a lock nut in place of the circlip, and using some washers as spacers.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, I gave my steam valve internal handle works a shot of INOX. All looks very clean and in order.

Comment

Working...
                        X