Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did I upgrade from BDB to VBM Domobar Super again?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did I upgrade from BDB to VBM Domobar Super again?...

Don't get me wrong... I love and am enjoying my machine. But the more I learning about my VBM HX machine the more I'm thinking "Am I missing something here?"

Let me explain. As a lazy consumer, I'm still using an iPhone and have not switched to Android...

Let me explain again. I think with a machine that costs typically more than double the BDB, we actually LOST functionality that "just works". So what do I miss?

1) The biggest one is to be able to set the brew temp. Not having to cools flush and surf.
    2) The hot water outlet is more accessible.
    3) A more forgiving steam wand
    4) Less water wastage
    5) Not worrying that the steam would lose strength due to surfing to much.

So why am I still happy and feel good about my upgrade?

1) The feeling of a nice expensive new SHINY thing
    2) The feeling that it will not break down as much as the BDB would (in theory)
    3) Faster milk frothing. If I get it right that is. My success rate is lower than the BDB atm.
    4) Err.. Surfing??
    5) The shininess of my machine...

Consumers (aka me) are driven by our ability to place value in what we read and learn from forums like these. The fear build up on the BDB thread plus my upgraditis driven by the other shiny-machine-must-own-one threads pushed me to upgrade. Given, I wouldn't have taken the plunge if the VBM wasn't up for an unbeatable price.

Ultimately, I hope this thread opens some discussions or something I'm missing. HX lovers please enlighten me! At the very least I hope it informs someone making a decision... Apple vs Android. "Do you want something that just works? Or do you want something you have more control over to tinker with it?" In the home coffee machine world unfortunately the "Apple" costs sometimes 2k less than the "Android" fully tinker-able machine...

Can-o-worms opened.. Go for it guys!

Originally posted by brokenvase View Post

So why am I still happy and feel good about my upgrade?
    It's a zen thing.
    The science behind the art loops from subjective qualitative assessment back to assumption, so ultimately the system is impredicative.
    If oysters taste better straight out of the shell rather than out of a plastic pot, then that's the way you should enjoy them.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experience. I had similar thoughts a while ago when I started looking to upgrade my BDB, and in the end decided that it would have to be a very major upgrade for me to consider it as there are some features I don't want to be without (basically what you've outlined above, and the auto turn-on), and I don't have the environment at home to install such a thing. So I'm still content with my BDB.

It is interesting though isn't it, just how much a collection of like minded individuals grouped together on a niche forum where the tendency is to drool over the latest & greatest can influence ones' thinking and expenditure. Case in point - I also have an interest in photography. I like shiny things too and have just ordered a new lens that's probably worth about the same as the VBM at non discounted pricing... Would I have done so outside the influence of the photographic forums? Don't know. I'll use it to take pictures of my Cats, mostly, I imagine*. Crumbs I hope I like it.

And I hear rumours of a Breville with a rotary pump in the future. Rats.

But all that aside, you've have the BDB for quite a while and so are in tune with the work-flow on that machine. Maybe what you're experiencing is the honeymoon over / settling in / re-adjustment stage. Maybe with a little more time on the new machine you'll relax into the slightly different process and enjoy it just the same, or even more!

~Steve.

*It'll get used for other things too of course, but the cats make great test subjects. And the DSLR does a better job than my Android phone...

Comment

Originally posted by WiredArabica View Post
        I had similar thoughts a while ago when I started looking to upgrade my BDB, and in the end decided that it would have to be a very major upgrade for me to consider it as there are some features I don't want to be without (basically what you've outlined above, and the auto turn-on), and I don't have the environment at home to install such a thing. So I'm still content with my BDB.
        Oh I forgot and didn't mention that 'cos I have a workaround. The Belkin WeMo. But yes. It's a workaround. An additional $50 for a device to fix an already expensive device :P

Comment

Originally posted by brokenvase View Post
          Oh I forgot and didn't mention that 'cos I have a workaround. The Belkin WeMo. But yes. It's a workaround. An additional $50 for a device to fix an already expensive device :P
          ... Well at least now I can remotely switch on my VBM while I'm on my way home if I suddenly have guests over.

Comment

Working...
          X